Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the recommended mileage to replace timing belt? Can I put this off if I drive the car mildly?
How mild? I have 100K on the car and the front brake is still original. Rear brakes has been replaced.

Some people say to replace all fan belts and water pump at the same time. Is that good advice?
And how much does it typically cost to replace timing belt?

2002 WRX wagon

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,820 Posts
You are past due not on the basis of distance but on the basis of time. Read the manual because there is an important chart that lists 105k or 105 months as the interval.

I paid $500+ in parts alone and did the work myself. If you hire a shop estimate $1K+.

If it’s never been done then get it done yesterday.

·
Æternum
16,127 Posts
By basis of time, your car should be halfway into its third timing belt.

·
Registered
334 Posts
.. and water pump replacement requires removing the timing belt, so I recommend pump replacement at the same time as the timing belt since you'd already be most of the way into the labor to do that job (coolant drained and timing belt removed). This is reasonably preventative maintenance.

Full timing belt kits often come with the pump, gasket (newer gates kits use an OE-like metal gasket, rather than a paper gasket) tensioner, and pulley set. My first timing belt kit included the paper water pump gasket, and that lasted from ~91k miles to ~197k miles. At that distance, I don't think I should complain that it began leaking. I was quite glad to see that the newer kit had upgraded to a crushable metal gasket on the water pump, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts