ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know that my plans have been upended by not only the quarantine but, by my employer being bought out. My careful plans for retirement have been changed into a state of flux. But this thread isn't about an old [email protected] trying to figure out the day that he doesn't have to answer the bell, any more. It is about what plans, dreams, wishes you all are making when the all clear sounds. This is a car forum, so I am hoping that some of these will involve firing up a flat 4 (FA20 or EJ257?) and pointing it north, south, east or west or even all four.

My original plan was to point The Bucket of Bolts north to Frederick, MD and old friends in May. This was a pilgrimage, as well. Other old friends were to be met on the hollowed grounds of Gettysburg, Antietam, Harper's Ferry and other places of blood and sacrifice. There may have been a trip into DC to visit the National Mall. This was ground pounding during the day and food and friendship at night.

September was sharpening into focus with hoping The Bucket of Bolts would be able to manage a trip to Chicago. Likely, I'd stay outside the downtown sections and public transit into the photo op beneath the sign of the beginning of the Mother Road. Some 4 or more weeks later it would end at Lincoln Blvd. at Olympic Blvd. in Santa Monica, CA
(I've always heard the pier in Santa Monica).

May of '21 was targeting for Oregon, Washington and then the great trek begins. Truly, crossing into Canada and taking Johnny Horton's advice and heading north to Alaska. I have already begun doing the research for jerry cans for extra gas (custom mounts in the bed) and a second spare tire for the Ridgeline.

Some of the start dates may be impacted. Their may be changes to some of the trips such as an add to Gettysburg of heading all the way to Maine. I have 38 states under my belt and this would solve the Northeast. Alaska solves for Washington and Oregon. Michigan (Woodward Dream Cruise), Minnesota and North Dakota would be solved in another journey.

Hawaii involves a plane ride. I am not as thrilled about that (no fear of flying or any of that - I just don't like the whole hassle of the ordeal).

I am hoping that a few folks will offer up some comments. Even if they are entire flights of fantasy, that is a good thing during these times. Where are you taking your Subie (either in your dreams or for real) when things return to our new normal?

·
Æternum
20,380 Posts
Well, I am flattered that my town made your list, but it is getting pretty bad here in Maryland right now. I doubt it will be any better by May. As late as last week, people were crammed into Home Depot, At Home, and all sorts of other places that they should not have been. Shit has hit the fan and projections are not looking good here.

I'm going to do two things as soon as I am able:
1. I will be spending every week on the road for the next several months in order to make up time (revenue) lost in the last 5 weeks.
2. Spend remaining time on my Motorcycles.

We booked a Cruise at the beginning of the year and had to cancel due to cancer coming back for its 4 year reunion. Only got 20% back. Then they canceled the cruise and refunded everyone.... everyone but us, because that's how shitty these travel companies are. Would have been my first vacation in 3 years.

So now I am planning to take a motorcycle up and around Lake Superior late this summer. I grew up in Michigan but have never been to the UP...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zax, I am sorry to hear about the cancer. I had no idea that you lived in the hometown of Francis Scott Key. I love your murals that stretch along the river, downtown. I am sure that May will be off the docket. I may be allowed to choose between Frederick and Rte 66, in the fall. I love walking Gettysburg when it is snowing. If all the stars align, I can buy the dinner. Whether or not that I'll be in the Bucket of Bolts or The Bus or my truck (later two are all wheel drive) will be dictated by the time of the year. I might be in the AMG, but that is the longer shot because the high performance summer tires offer little more benefit with the AWD. I cannot justify a $1,200 tire change just for a single road trip.

FWIW, I truly like Frederick. I've strolled and ridden a bicycle around through the area a good bit. Up and over South Mountain to stop at the really cool church and climb the Washington Monument as it offers views of Antietam (Sharpsburg). I've even hiked a bit down the Appalachian Trail that runs by the base of the monument.

·
Æternum
20,380 Posts
Yep! I live just a tad east, on a lake about 7 miles outside Frederick. New Market is technically the closest town, but more people know Frederick.

I love this town. We moved North (from Gaithersburg) because we liked Frederick so much.

When was the last time you visited Frederick? In the 12 years since I've lived in Maryland, the town has changed quite a lot. It's now a state destination for artisan food and drink. I think we have something like 20 breweries in the surrounding area and several distilleries.

I just hope most of the restaurants will stay in business...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was there in 2014 for the last time. I am way over-due for another trip. During the last visit, the shift in downtown was well underway. The high dollar condos and the artisan food offerings were beginning to make their presence known in the downtown area. If (ain't this the truth) I remember correctly, the downtown was very pet friendly. I remember dogs and owners browsing the shops. That gave an extra cool vibe to the area.

I am familiar with New Market. You are close to the entrance of Sky Line Drive, too.

·
Æternum
20,380 Posts
You are close to the entrance of Sky Line Drive, too.
Not really. I'm about 2 hours by car.

There is a New Market, VA that is close. That is probably what you are thinking.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
If you like hiking and want to stay away from people Daniel Boone national Forest in Kentucky is also an option. Really nice scenery and some fun roads to drive.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most of my ground pounding will be battle walks on the various Civil War battlefields. I have several friends that are fairly well renowned authors, in the Civil War community. It is one of my true pleasures to be able to walk Gettysburg, Antietam or Manassas with these wonderful people. A few more are LBGs (Licensed Battlefield Guide) at Gettysburg. Some of our debates on Sickles or Slocum can be spirited (OK having spirits after the walk may add to the spirit of the debate).

Yes, I don't like the crowds at Gettysburg. However, I am grateful to the exposure and out of the throngs will come a few historians. Antietam remains one of my favorite places. Typically, the crowds are small and I can do an entire Irish Brigade battle walk with just the 2 o 3 of us as the only participants. I enjoy saying hello to Ranger Mike and Brian, too. Brian wrote a very nice work on George Sears Greene (a personal favorite of mine). Mike usually gives the St. Patrick's Day Irish Brigade battle walk.

·
Æternum
20,380 Posts
I ride the Gettysburg battlefield once a year or so. I love it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Zax,

Now you have me... Is that a BMW. Looks like a flat twin. I am not positive, but that looks to be south of the Pennsylvania Monument. That would be the Emmitsburg Road to the west. Looks a bit like the Rose Woods sticking out behind the Napoleon (looks like a 12 pounder). My other thought is that this is along Confederate Avenue and that is the Eisenhower farm in the distance.

Gettysburg-1.jpg

·
Æternum
20,380 Posts
Ding ding ding! Good guess on the Eisenhower farm. This shot is actually right by the observation tower. Next shot in the series is from the top. It is indeed a 1983 BMW R80RT.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Zax, if things straighten out, I would be glad to buy you a meal in Gettysburg, too. I expect to hang out with Rick Allen (author, friend and hard core ground pounder), John V (youngest person to pass the LBG exam) and a couple others (I wish I could time it to meet Andy Ward there - LBG and just good friend).

·
Registered
296 Posts
This has been an eye opener for me. I have stayed in my job because of low stress, benefits & steady pay. After suddenly being essential & watching how this has gone I think I am going to quit my job after this dies down. For the past few years I have considered transitioning to do woodworking with a bit of handyman to make a living. I currently turn down work constantly from lack of time & had been working towards setting myself up (house & cars are paid) but was hesitant to make the move. This has shown me that things can change in an instant and life is too short to procrastinate. Besides, my dad retired this year & has been doing odd jobs to keep busy, it would be nice to spend some more time with him. I also help out grandparents & being able to make my own schedule would be beneficial there.

Hope everyone is doing well & staying safe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I miss going outside without wearing a mask. Working from home is not that hard, especially when you do what love -- the only problem is that I miss talking to my colleagues and going out with my friends. I have canceled two of my flights to Japan and Hong Kong for this month due to COVID-19, it is really not safe to explore the world during the pandemic. One thing that I am thankful for is the fact that I am in the province, it will be worst if I am in the city right now. My brother is alone in Manila as he chooses his profession, FYI he is a nurse.

Moving on, the best thing that we can do now is just to stay at home.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Zax, if I may be a bit presumptuous, can I suggest you add a tour of Antietam to your battlefields that you do a drive around. Sharpsburg typically has much less traffic. You can sit in the rebuilt Dunker Church (I sat out a thunderstorm in there, in 2006). The rangers even do a driving tour. Antietam has very rolling terrain. It was called Artillery Hell. Walking down the Sunken Road and then out into the field where the Irish Brigade made their assault and seeing how they suddenly popped into view. Stand by the tower and look down the Sunken Road and think of being in that road while the Irish Brigade discharged the .61 caliber smooth bores with buck and ball charges down the length of the road. There are always places where the past whispers to me. Usually there are too many people around and they drown out the whispers. However, I've been there when things are quite ….. Longstreet is coming up with his house slippers on (he was hurt in a horse falling incident).

·
Æternum
20,380 Posts
Thanks! Yeah I've been to the Antietam battleground a number of times. I would prefer to ride there, but plenty of other great roads around Sharpsburg and Harper's Ferry. Just don't go to Hagerstown....

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually had a friend that lived in Hagerstown … nuff said.

Harper's Ferry is a cool place. The church is really cool. I liked walking over the bridge, too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts