ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got nostalgic and depressed watching this. The last year of the sport.

·
29,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was different times then, and it's over.

I'm sitting here trying to remember when the last time was that I saw one of these items in person:

An analogue Halda
A VHF radio in a car, not a yacht
Speedline SL201 pepperpot wheels

The speeds now vs. then don't matter. The era is irreproducible. It's depressing.

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
Rally is kind of gaining more popularity in the states now with the x games, dirt racing video game and Subarus rally America. The current cars are already faster all around that the absolute best of the group b. I think bringing it back would cause it to explode again. We need something to replace Nascar when it's dead.

·
29,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see zero future for rallying in the USA. A stadium is not a special stage. A patch of desert in the middle of nowhere is not a special stage. About 20 years ago there was what for the locals must have seemed like a concerted effort to establish a decent championship and it went nowhere.

I enjoy tarmac rallies and I enjoy both the special and the regular stages. Can't find one...

• John Buffum was brilliant at the Acropolis but went back to the USA and stayed there, reciting Robert Frost in an interview.
  • The entire attitude was "we don't need the WRC" and whether they were right or not, there wasn't any real progress since the late 80s. I'm setting aside the failure to have meaningful dignitaries at the end ceremony -- a senator or above, for example -- and I'm instead focusing on the use of a firearm against a competitor.
  • When an event was run in the USA it was usually a fiasco. Local yocals opened fire on a competitor. Read that again.
  • Being younger and certainly naïve, I tried attending stages from 2002-2005. They wanted to charge an admission fee and if that wasn't enough, instead of buying the local police and politicians entirely (it's the cost of doing business) those cretins were out writing up parking tickets.
And crucially: the locals never homologated their cars.

I cannot imagine a more populous, developed, or affluent country doing a worse job at motorsport.

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
There isn't anyone willing to work towards making it viable here. What we do get is a Subaru marketing campaign with rally america and x games and it's need to use an arena to support multiple events.

There is such a variety of environments here that you could have outstanding rally. From the valleys and winding roads in the east to the hill climb mountains out west. We have everything imaginable. We have everything the country would need but a governing body to make it so.

Unlike most other sporting events that are all on tracks in major cities rally would give better access to a wider variety of people as well. You live in Liberty Kentucky. Well games on we have the Eastern Ky run from the meth rally.

As far as what rally is the Dakar and the Baja 1000 are definite Rally's and are across empty desert.

·
29,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paris-Dakar was a product of late 70s/early 80s economic realities that are no longer... real, including the exchange rates between the ougiya, CFA, dirham, and others vs. the franc and Deutsche Mark. Because the rates were favourable in the past, an increasing number of Europeans would travel to Africa. Then Sabine got lost in the Ténéré and the rest is history. Although I enjoyed the 1992 event to Cape Town I'm not interested in the events that are not hosted in Africa -- I realise the political situation in Mauritania isn't favourable at the moment but, well, I don't care.

The Peking-to-Paris event remains interesting but I doubt hygeonomic concerns would let anything like that run in the near future.

I'll admit when I was a kid I was a fan of Hubert Auriol, whom people called "The African" at the time. However I think he ended up advertising deodorants on TV at one point. And I loved the story of Ari Vatanen's Peugeot and the team's passports being stolen or withheld or who know what, then taken or given back or who knows what. Legendary stuff.

Life goes on though. I've got one less day to worry about starting today.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That was an awesome start to finish - love how they told the story mostly with engine sounds, rocking music, and images

1 - 8 of 8 Posts