Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
according to the subaru area at the latest car show in boston (this past week), we will not see a wrx till 2004, or 2006 at the latest. subaru isn't even sure of the specs, or final delivery date, as they are still testing possible cannibalization of thier other impreza models, including the wrx.

no sti's were there to my dismay (and neither was the EVOVII, which will be a model year '03 release late in 2002.)

the new nsx is SWEET though, and so isn't the m3 convertable.

there it is from the horse's mouth

dr

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Man I gotta admit those new M3 convertables are really sweet though, I saw a red one driving next to me the other day and I was pretty amazed at how good the car looks on the street.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
mario, the eco will be direct competition with the sti, not the standard wrx. both around 276hp, and totally f*cking awesome.

my only issues with the m3 convertable was that

1) it has the same exact dash and controls as the 330's (a much smaller gearbox though)

2) the gauges are TINY, so bad, that I was actually angry.

dR

·
Registered
333 Posts
The STI and EVO Jap spec both have 280 PS/276 HP. The EVO accelerates a little quicker, but the STI is much more agile and maneuverable in the wet specially.
For pics of the STI, do a search right here... I have posted several....

·
Registered
186 Posts
if a wrx is a watered down sti, how is mitsu gonna bring over the evo w/ the same specs as the jdm one?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Here´s the deal.
Mitsubishi has the Lancer, and it as far as I know, in most places (not sure about the US) the Lancer is and always has been simply a 1.6 FWD sedan. Besides that since ´92 there have been EVOs, starting with EVO IV they have been 276 HP. Thats about it, not sure about the US market, I think you guys get a 2 liter version now. There have been variations like the Mirage and Carisma, but they are essentially the same.
Since the Impreza was launched around ´92 there have been 1.6, 1.8, and 2.0 versions both in FWD and AWD. The 1.6 AWD versions are currently still available in Europe (in Holland at least... my dad saw one at a store there the other day...). Again the US market got a weird version and came up with the 2.5 RS, based on the Forester engine or so...
STI Imprezas have always been 276 HP AWD, and have been out since ´94 or so with STI v I.
The US market will get a watered down version of the 276 HP STI, but that still will be above the standard WRX. I think the EVO will also get a little watered down when it comes to the States.....
BTW in the UK they have the EVO Extreme version with about 340 HP and significant weight savings..... you can check it out at http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk under Ralliart cars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts