ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so sometimes I'm just driving normal & will shift at 3K or 3,500 rpm's & some times I will go 4K.

And I was wondering when do you shift when you're just crusin & enjoying the ride.

I always wonder if I the ECU would get used to shifting @ 3-4K rpm's & over time loose power.

The reason I am thinking this is a guy I met bought a 2003 WRX from a older lady & when they put it on the dyno it was way down on the H.P. so they cleared the ecu & did a couple WOT runs & it was great .

So again during just normal easy driving when do YOU shift???

Just curious:)

jd

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
Most of the time I shift at ~3,000 RPM for good fuel economy. I think the ECU adapts pretty quickly to aggressive driving and will provide better power after just a few WOT sessions. The way I've been driving since I've owned the car has gotten me around 25-26mpg every tank so far.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Integra96 said:
Most of the time I shift at ~3,000 RPM for good fuel economy. I think the ECU adapts pretty quickly to aggressive driving and will provide better power after just a few WOT sessions. The way I've been driving since I've owned the car has gotten me around 25-26mpg every tank so far.
damn!!! No wonder I'm onlg getting 18.5-20 mpg. I need to take it easy to get some good milege.

jd

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
:D

It's a lot more fun to be on the boost all the time, but that really kills mileage, as you know. I still hit boost pretty hard now and then but manage to get good mileage. It's a balancing act. :wiggles:

·
Registered
956 Posts
when I run out of gas :rolleyes: jk

power when there is not more good power to be made

econo below 0 on boost gauge

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I cruise @ 2400rpm's, and when accelerating onto the freeway I shift:

Into 2nd @ 5.5k rpm's
Into 3rd @ 5.5k rpm's
Into 4th @ 80 mph

Normally, on city streets I get it up to 4k while accelerating and then shift. I think this would depend upon whether or not you have the clutch shudder fix flywheel which weighs as much as a Sherman tank.

-snowcat

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
when i'm just driving around, probabaly around 4500-5000rpm. when i'm getting on it, I take it to 7200 in each gear. usually except 4th as i'm clearly at the speed of a cop not liking me.

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
Wow I'm a b*tch.

I shift around town at 2,800 or 3,000. Then again, I get on it every day in 2nd and 3rd (try to save 1st unless I'm feeling daring....)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I shift anywhere between 2.9K - 3.8K lol ... wide range, sometimes up to 6K, it really depend on my mood :O.

Anyways, GOING OFF TOPIC KINDA NOT REALLY.... when you're on the freeway going at 60-65 MPH, which gear do you usually leave it in ?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
enXiks said:
Anyways, GOING OFF TOPIC KINDA NOT REALLY.... when you're on the freeway going at 60-65 MPH, which gear do you usually leave it in ?
4th. from having a type-r teg, keeping the revs up was a usual thing. when I get around 75-ish+, i'm in 5th. mabye it eats away at a little gas, but hitting boost in 5th is not something I like to do.

·
Registered
92 Posts
hmm

I will esho what most people here are saying...

most of the time I shift between 3 - 3500 rpms for fuel economy...but on nights that I go out drinking.....

trubo all the way home baby!

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
Re: hmm

Iron_Armz said:
I will esho what most people here are saying...

most of the time I shift between 3 - 3500 rpms for fuel economy...but on nights that I go out drinking.....

trubo all the way home baby!
Yeah, DUI rules. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
J.D. said:

And I was wondering when do you shift when you're just crusin & enjoying the ride.

I always wonder if I the ECU would get used to shifting @ 3-4K rpm's & over time loose power.

jd
Usually I shift at 4k in first, and 2.5-3 in other gears, except when I'm pushing it.

Actually, over time, if you never push your car, it WILL lose power. Drive like an old lady and it will take its toll. Drive like an @$$hole, well, you can figure that out. All about balance :)

That's why whenever for some reason I'm driving my mother's 5-Series, I beat the piss out of it :wiggles:

·
Registered
188 Posts
usually around 4000-4500...but I do take her to redline everyday...I kind of have to getting back on the express way on the way home from work....it's always crappy getting on, so I just floor it, and merge in

1 - 20 of 28 Posts