Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I know the 2017 wrx's come with a +55mm offset stock. whats the lowest i can safely go without having any clearance issues? I.E +40mm, +38mm.....

·
Super Moderator
10,891 Posts
You'll want to try and run as close to stock as possible. Using an offset that's too far deviated from stock can cause issues with scrub radius when turning and increase the load on the hub and other suspension components. Ive seen lugs crack under extremes, although it's not likely super common.

As far as what will fit I'm not terribly familiar with that model, but I think I recall seeing several folks with 40 with no complaints.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Æternum
15,474 Posts
Clearance issues are not the reason you should be running an OEM offset.

OEM suspension and steering is tuned to the OEM offset. Running an abnormal offset will adversely affect handling overall.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
Pay attention to what the others have said about OEM offset. For all goodness and safety, OEM offset wheels should be used. Howeverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........... I actually have +38mm wheels with my snow tires on them. They do not hit my wheel wells. They look very close, but do not hit. And again, this is not best but I take it easy on the car with the snow tires anyway so I figure I will be OK with this setup. But this is just my assumption and I accept the risk myself. AND I would not put my performance tires on wheels with this much less offset.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In all honesty I'll probably just go with something like +40mm just to have the look as well as the pushed out wheel

·
Æternum
15,474 Posts
In all honesty I'll probably just go with something like +40mm just to have the look as well as the pushed out wheel
Clearly you aren't listening here....

Several people have told you to stay with OEM offset.

It's really pretty amazing. Four people have responded, three have told you to stick with OEM offset and then you say you'll probably go with +40.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I'm running 18x9.5+38 with 265/35 tires dropped on RCE springs. Everyone told me there would be no issues, but I have very little tire rub on highway dips. I need a fender roll, which should fix the issue. It looks great, 'seems' to handle great, but rides rough as expected.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm also running 18x9.5+38 with the stock 245 rubbers, going to switch out to some wider tires once these are worn. No rub at all on the 245's but not a fan of the stretch.

Realistically the world is not going to end if you ran something like +40 offset nor is your car going to explode. Sure beats running wheel spacers.

·
Æternum
15,474 Posts
Let's be clear about this, otherwise you will confuse an entire audience of people that might not have the same knowledge base as you folks.

The offset is the difference between the plane of the hub and the centerline of the wheel. The distance between the centerline and the plane of the hub is also dependent on the width of the wheel. A wider wheel is expected to have a lower offset in order to conserve the way the compression/rebound force is distributed across the suspension. In addition, there is the scrub radius as previously mentioned in which the offset is important for steering feel and cornering.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts