ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have an 04' sedan and i already have some rota sdr's sitting in my garage, I have been waiting to lower it before getting tires and putting on the rims but now i am thinking of just throwing the rims and tires on at stock height. Anyone else go through this?
I can only afford to buy just the tires OR just the springs this weekend, Which ones should i get???
Thanks,
Rob k

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,004 Posts
Tires will make the most difference in handling. The rest is personal taste.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Springs will make you car lower and nice to look at, you also have the crappy stock tires you can destroy by learning to drift ;)

Tires would give your car more performance and enable you to drive faster, safer...

But If you buy tires I would go with some hi performance summer tires, not the allseason crap many of you seems to like ;)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
like the above,

performance = good summer tires

looks = springs

it's one or the other since you really can;t expect much performance on the stock tires.

one plu to doing the springs first is that you'll get an alignment (well you;re suppose to after teh springs settle), then if you get new tires, then they will be well aligned, with no chance of unbalance wear. Some cars come from the factory with sub-par alignment.

Hg.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was planning on getting the Falken Azenis sports with Eibach pro kit springs.
some people recomend using the sti spec eibach's on the 04' wrx because it will give a more level drop and handle better, any thoughts?

·
Registered
598 Posts
definetly put the rims/tires on first. i put prokits on 2 months and the handling difference isn't as dramatic as when i upgraded the rims/tires.

i used the '04 prokits, not the STi ones. The STi spec ones probably have higher rates which may not be good with the stock struts, but with aftermarket or STi struts would be a good combo. I'm not sure about the drop height/look though. I'm pleased with my drop though even though it is uneven.

·
Registered
33 Posts
WRXSleeper said:
definetly put the rims/tires on first. i put prokits on 2 months and the handling difference isn't as dramatic as when i upgraded the rims/tires.

i used the '04 prokits, not the STi ones. The STi spec ones probably have higher rates which may not be good with the stock struts, but with aftermarket or STi struts would be a good combo. I'm not sure about the drop height/look though. I'm pleased with my drop though even though it is uneven.
I'm with Mr.Sleeper - Rims/tires first. Sticky soft compound tires that would make Spiderman jealous. Then do your Eibach spring/ground-hugging procedure. I did the same thing, and also used the Eibach kit; no complaints here.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Very easy choice- tires, the best you can afford. The difference in handling will be night and day. Not only handling, wait till you try the braking too:)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I have Bridgestone Potenza S0-3 Pole Positions on my car, and I can tell you first hand that they are great. They handle better in rain than stock ones do in dry weather. You'll want to keep the stocks and put them back on for winter, though. A great buy if you are willing to pay for them ($170 a piece, I think).

·
Moderating YOU, before you had your Subaru!
13,353 Posts
Tires on your stock wheels + springs if you can. Nothing IMHO looks worse than a car with bigger aftermarket wheels and no drop...makes any car look like a 4x4.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Verdugo said:
Tires on your stock wheels + springs if you can. Nothing IMHO looks worse than a car with bigger aftermarket wheels and no drop...makes any car look like a 4x4.
I have to agree with this. My car looked fine when I dropped it, even though I had the stock wheels. The other way around looks a little strange to me. Just my opinion, though.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Verdugo said:
a WRX with 17s and no drop looks nowhere near as bad as a honda with 17s and no drop. it's much easier to live with till you can get it lowered. replacing the stock tires with a good high performance summer tire is a good option if you don't need them for the winter.

·
Moderating YOU, before you had your Subaru!
13,353 Posts
WRXSleeper said:
a WRX with 17s and no drop looks nowhere near as bad as a honda with 17s and no drop. it's much easier to live with till you can get it lowered. replacing the stock tires with a good high performance summer tire is a good option if you don't need them for the winter.
True but a WRX with 18s will look worse than a Honda. Our WRXs come with a gigantic wheel gap no matter how you look at it...that's just the rally heritage of our cars showing. I still think 17s will look bad, just not AS bad as 18s or 17s on a Honda.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If your looking for performance tires and rims first, however I agree that rims and tires and no drop isn't a great look for the wrx. I've decided to lower my car first rims and tires will follow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts