Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am new to this forum just having bought a 2017 WRX , Sport Tech( Limited) and would like to replace the OEM 18" wheels but keep the tires. The current wheels are 8.5 inches wide and would like to keep the same width if possible.Selection is not great as far as aftermarket wheels. What is the downside of going down to 8 inch wide wheels. This is the minimum required by the Dunlop tires( 245/40-18). The OEM wheels will be used as winter wheels.
Thanks

· Master Baiter
22,140 Posts
Stepping down could decrease weight, but limit you in tire width. Dunlop tires have been known to "run wide" in the past, which could be a problem with the 8" wheel, but I'm not sure if that's the case with the Sport Maxx RTs.

I'm biased, but I really like the OZ Alleggerita HLT; 18x8.5 weighs in ~17.5lbs, which is really good. Factory 17s on the 2015+ are 24.XX lbs (I don't have data on the 18s, but I'd guess they are at least 24lbs), so you're shaving quite a bit of weight (~7lbs/corner), so you should notice some faster acceleration. You're looking ~$1600 for them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.