ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading through this forum I get the impression that upgrading wheels and lowering the suspension somehow seems to go together. I am thinking of buying quite conservative 17x7.5 wheels (offset 48) with 225/45 tires and don't really want to deal with the suspension. Is there something wrong with this? Is it required/recommended to adjust the suspension because of the bigger wheels? Why are people lowering their cars? Is it just for looks?

Thanks for your insite

·
Registered
598 Posts
lowering is 50% looks and 50% handling. you don't have to lower for better handling, but it helps and it sure does look better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So would you agree that the connection between wheel upgrade and lower suspension is just that somebody who either cares about handling or looks would go with bigger wheels and in addition with possibly lower suspension? Lowering with the stock wheels is probably less common. I take it that bigger wheels without suspension tuning is still an improvement in looks and handling relative to stock.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Yes, if you upgrade just your wheels/tires (the tire upgrade is what will give you the biggest gains, not the change in wheel size) you'll see a performance increase even if you leave the rest of the suspension stock. There are people who do this. There are also those (like me) that have an upgraded suspension that doesn't lower the car and have upgraded wheels/tires.

·
Banned
5,806 Posts
Bigger wheels mean that there is less rubber sidewall on the tires, which translates into less flexing during hard cornering. Wheels and tires will help prevent a little body roll in corners, and stiffen up the handling a bit, even without springs.
Lowering is great for appearance, but also helps lower the center of gravity and the aftermarket springs you put on are probably stiffer than stock, giving you added handling in corners.
Little by little, it all adds up.
:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts