Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

i just bought a couple sets of subispeed wheel spacers. i am trying to get that aggressive look. any thoughts on them? will the ride be different?

·
Æternum
15,538 Posts
My thoughts are: return them.

Your car's suspension is not designed for additional wheel offset.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Not to steal the thread, but I've been wondering about this as well. Will getting wheels with a lesser offset have negative effects just as a wheel spacer would? It makes sense that it would be the same, but I'm thinking with wider tires it wouldn't hurt the ball joints as much because that would move more area of the tire underneath the car, unlike wheel spacers. I'm pretty sure my stockers are at +53 so I was wondering how much less would lead to trouble, and what's possible to get away with.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
There are plenty of threads to search for here about wheel offsets.

As for spacers I just can't see them adding anything to the car. I am old enough I guess to no longer need useless eye candy to draw attention from others. But I understand such appeal as I was young once a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The only reason I'd want more offset is to clear larger tires for the snow(staying out of the struts and springs), cause the ones I have aren't cutting it--being somewhat low profile. Just ya know.. so you don't think I'm doing things for useless eye candy... it's for more of a practical reason

·
Æternum
15,538 Posts
Not to steal the thread, but I've been wondering about this as well. Will getting wheels with a lesser offset have negative effects just as a wheel spacer would? It makes sense that it would be the same, but I'm thinking with wider tires it wouldn't hurt the ball joints as much because that would move more area of the tire underneath the car, unlike wheel spacers. I'm pretty sure my stockers are at +53 so I was wondering how much less would lead to trouble, and what's possible to get away with.
Yes, it's the same effect.

A wider wheel also balances the offset.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Æternum
15,538 Posts
so spacers will have negative effect? looks like im returning it then.
What size spacers?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes, it's the same effect.

A wider wheel also balances the offset.

just as some clarification (no thread hijack)

when you say a wider wheel balances the offset...

by "balances the offset", does that mean going with a wider wheel allows you to have lower offset (to a degree) without any changes

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,589 Posts
just as some clarification (no thread hijack)

when you say a wider wheel balances the offset...

by "balances the offset", does that mean going with a wider wheel allows you to have lower offset (to a degree) without any changes
To the extent that the additional width and the reduced offset place the edge of the rim of the wheel at the same spot with respect to the fender lip.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey guys,

i just bought a couple sets of subispeed wheel spacers. i am trying to get that aggressive look. any thoughts on them? will the ride be different?
I was told by a shop that wheel spacers are a great tool but unless you dont spend $$$ then it isn't worth it. If you can't fork up the money for good quality spacers then i suggest not doing them. Also i was told that if you want your wheels to be sticking out more then the best option is to get rims with a better offset. Actually the recommended part is rims with offset rather than spacers. Adding another component to your car can give your car another reason to fail. To be honest i personally want spacers because im too poor to buy RIMS and WHEELS all at once.

·
Super Moderator
10,941 Posts
I was told by a shop that wheel spacers are a great tool but unless you dont spend $$$ then it isn't worth it. If you can't fork up the money for good quality spacers then i suggest not doing them. Also i was told that if you want your wheels to be sticking out more then the best option is to get rims with a better offset. Actually the recommended part is rims with offset rather than spacers. Adding another component to your car can give your car another reason to fail. To be honest i personally want spacers because im too poor to buy RIMS and WHEELS all at once.
That shop lied to you. Wheel spacers are never ok.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Also, as stated a couple posts above, running wheels with different offsets can cause problems too. It's basically the same as a spacer but with less stress on the lug bolts.

RIMS and WHEELS
:confused: wheels and tires?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts