ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was thinking of buying some 25 km wheel slavers, and I was wondering if they cause rubbing or anything else, I have stock suspension btw. And maybe we could get some pics up here! I wanna.see if they look as sweet as I think they would :) lol thanks everyone!

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Why not get wider tires instead, which actually benefits you?

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
either save your $100 towards new tires, or use it for some other mod.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Wheel spacers will change your suspension geometry through travel of the linkages. You're effectively creating a longer lever arm from the latitudinal coordinate of the tire contact patch to the strut. While this might not seem to make much of a difference in day to day driving, I'd expect to see increased tread wear over time, especially on the inside edge of the tire, and then you'll be needing the tires you should have saved for in the first place. You'll also be adding stress to the lugs, as you'll be moving the shear forces of the wheel from right at the brake disks out 25mm, which will add bending stress. Lugs are made with a large factor of safety to prevent failure, but it would be enough to make the engineer in me nervous, especially for a cosmetic modification.

If you do insist on the spacers, at least you have the right idea with putting them all around, instead of just on two wheels. Whatever you do to one wheel, do to all of them.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Don't put wheel spacers on your car. Bugeyes deserve to be treated better than that

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts

·
"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre"
2,190 Posts
^^^ LOL @ "Herrafrush" :)

25 mm spacers will shear the wheels off your lugs within a few miles.... then how cool will you look sliding down the road grinding on your rotors? Your lugnuts likely wouldnt go on more than 2 or 3 turns. Not to mention, they are illegal to use on public roads..... so if you were to make an insurance claim and your insurance company found out about it... you could be in jail.

Then you'd be herrafrushed...... and herrafrucked :)

5mm spacers MAX on stock lugs... and even those are risky, require frequent checking, and are generally only used to correct very minor wheel fitment issues. They will not make your car "look" any different.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Wheel spacers will change your suspension geometry through travel of the linkages. You're effectively creating a longer lever arm from the latitudinal coordinate of the tire contact patch to the strut. While this might not seem to make much of a difference in day to day driving, I'd expect to see increased tread wear over time, especially on the inside edge of the tire, and then you'll be needing the tires you should have saved for in the first place. You'll also be adding stress to the lugs, as you'll be moving the shear forces of the wheel from right at the brake disks out 25mm, which will add bending stress. Lugs are made with a large factor of safety to prevent failure, but it would be enough to make the engineer in me nervous, especially for a cosmetic modification.

If you do insist on the spacers, at least you have the right idea with putting them all around, instead of just on two wheels. Whatever you do to one wheel, do to all of them.
This is the best, most knowledgeable, intelligent post regarding spacers I have ever seen on this forum. :thumbup: to you sir.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
^^^ LOL @ "Herrafrush" :)

25 mm spacers will shear the wheels off your lugs within a few miles.... then how cool will you look sliding down the road grinding on your rotors? Your lugnuts likely wouldnt go on more than 2 or 3 turns. Not to mention, they are illegal to use on public roads..... so if you were to make an insurance claim and your insurance company found out about it... you could be in jail.

Then you'd be herrafrushed...... and herrafrucked :)

5mm spacers MAX on stock lugs... and even those are risky, require frequent checking, and are generally only used to correct very minor wheel fitment issues. They will not make your car "look" any different.
Dude, where the hell have you been lately? :rotfl:

This is the best, most knowledgeable, intelligent post regarding spacers I have ever seen on this forum. :thumbup: to you sir.
+1 here!

·
Registered
463 Posts

What, do you anticipate, would cause the additional wear on the inside edge of the tire? Increased scrub radius? Wouldn't this also change with wider wheels? I've experienced "tramlining" with wider wheels I've used in the past, which is usually attributed to scrub radius. But I never did see a change in wear pattern.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Me being from a Vw scene where all we do is slam/poke/stretch no car will look good with spacers on stock suspension unless ur poking and not flush.

Get wider rims instead of spacers.
Or drop ur car on springs at least then run spacers.

·
Æternum
20,954 Posts
Me being from a Vw scene where all we do is slam/poke/stretch no car will look good with spacers on stock suspension unless ur poking and not flush.

Get wider rims instead of spacers.
Or drop ur car on springs at least then run spacers.
Your credibility is shot when you use the term "rims"

I don't care how you spin it. Looks < functionality.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
Your credibility is shot when you use the term "rims"

I don't care how you spin it. Looks < functionality.
Yo dawg, I heard you like rims...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts