ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any good wheel locks for a 2012 WRX? I'd like to avoid OEM since they are common. Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Any wheel lock is defeatable for those with the correct tools.
Exactly.

Not to mention having a bent key & getting stranded on the freeway in the middle of nowhere because of a punctured tire after some idiot in the service dept used an air impact to tighten the locks.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
There are videos on youtube of wheel locks being removed with a regular socket, hammer and breaker bar....might be better off getting an alarm system that detects tilt and vibrations!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand any wheel lock can ultimately be removed..just like any safe can be cracked. If it buys me an extra minute to get out to the car and take care of business, then they're worth it.

I ordered the shock sensor from Subaru. I'm sure it isn't as good as an aftermarket security system, but it still helps. Anyway, I'm not trying to start a debate, just looking for some recommendations on non-OEM wheel locks :p. What size/thread are the wheel lugs?

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Wheel Locks and Centercap Locks - McGard: Innovative Security Products

I have a set that I use on my car. They helped me out with getting a new key too when like previously said a shop torqued them down and i broke the key trying to loosen them. I lost my original packaging so it was kind of a pain but through picture taking to prove that I did own the vehicle they sent me a new key. So if you do buy them make sure to save everything that comes with them!

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
I recently did similar asking around about lugs (not locks) and the general consensus is that mcgard lugs are second to none, so if you want locks, get those.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I'll pick up some mcgard locks and keep the gun loaded! jk

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Sasquatch said:
Any wheel lock is defeatable for those with the correct tools.
This. I would not spend any money on wheel locks.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It would take me an additional five minutes (tops) to have all four wheel locks off the car.
Thats great, it might only take me 3 seconds to make it the worst decision a thief could make :blowup:

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Yes, anything with a 5x100 bolt pattern and 16" made by Subaru should fit (Impreza, Legacy, WRX, etc.)

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
Thats great, it might only take me 3 seconds to make it the worst decision a thief could make :blowup:
If you even hear/see them in the act.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
I ordered the shock sensor from Subaru. I'm sure it isn't as good as an aftermarket security system, but it still helps.
I have the shock sensor in my car, and it's pretty effective. I don't trust aftermarket alarms since I've seen too many very poorly installed and completely ruin the electrical system.

Of course, a determined and experienced thief won't be slowed down one bit by an alarm system. I'm just hoping it draws a bit more attention to the car long enough for someone to get a description or something.

Sent using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts