ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure if this solution has been shared, but after looking through the first four pages of posts in this forum I didnt see anyone start the topic...

Anyhow, I happen to work for a company that decided against persuing the "Magic Eraser" a couple years back. Turns out it is probably a 100 million dollar business for P&G now.

Understandably so, I currently have some SSR GT-7's with all seasons on the STi and plan on swapping back the stocks in the next couple days. That said, I never cleaned the stock rims and decided I wanted to clean them up before I did the change.

Needless to say, the Brembo brake dust was pretty caked on. I broke out a wet Magic eraser a few Grab-it gloves and in about a hours time I have the stock rims in excellent condition. Not a speck of dust on those puppies...

So, I recommend 2-4 Magic Erasers (as I could have definitely used more than one for the job) and some Grab-it gloves for cleaning your wheels - paper towels work well too. Of course, doing the job with the wheels off the car helps a great deal, but Im sure it would work the same whether or not they are on the car.

If someone has already offered this as solution to break dust or dirty wheels in general, I apologize. Otherwise, give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

:)

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
How long does it keep brake dust off?

Also, waxing your wheels can help repel brake dust...

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
5spdfrk said:
Where can I get this "magic eraser"?
Everywhere. Its in the school supplies section.

We have this stuff at work. We call it "the pink stuff" because its pink. I'm pretty sure its some kind of degreaser. Anyway, I just spray that all over my wheels, hose it down and then take a rag to each wheel to get whats left. Shiniest wheels evAr.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i would wonder about the wax, because wax evaporates and wheels get pretty hot. maybe a synthetic wax/polish? or just wash your wheels more often :p

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
with "Mothers" Wheel cleaner, it takes about 15 seconds to clean with a hose.

no scrubbing, no rubbing, not washing. just spray on, wait. rinse off.

sometimes if it's really caked on there, it might take asecond application.

dR

·
ClubWRX.net Vendor
295 Posts
Just to add to this post...

We like to stay away from harsh wheel cleaners, unless necessary. A soap designed specifically for cars, boats and RV's is a good choice. Another is 303 Cleaner. It has a very low ph level, but will clean anything. To protect take a look at the product called RejeX. Unlike wax, it will not be affected by the heat wheels generate from day to day use. Plus it will make clean up of the wheels much easier. Even Car and Driver gave it a test run on their long term Audi A4, with great results.

Please feel free to pm or email with any questions

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
JnJassociates said:
Just to add to this post...
We like to stay away from harsh wheel cleaners, unless necessary. A soap designed specifically for cars, boats and RV's is a good choice.
Please feel free to pm or email with any questions
When I purchased my aftermarket rims, I was told the same. Only car wash soap is recommended, and not to use spray on cleaners. In order to clean the inside, I use a soft brush to get through the spokes.

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
dark_rex said:
with "Mothers" Wheel cleaner, it takes about 15 seconds to clean with a hose.

no scrubbing, no rubbing, not washing. just spray on, wait. rinse off.

sometimes if it's really caked on there, it might take asecond application.

dR
Ditto.

After reading this I bought some and was very impressed with how well it takes care of the Brembo brake dust. A+ in my book.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
WRC_Obsessed said:
Ditto.

After reading this I bought some and was very impressed with how well it takes care of the Brembo brake dust. A+ in my book.
hmmm.....Mother's huh? Does it literally clean the dust off and leave the rim looking as it was cleaned by hand?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Another tip:

I use Eagle One Nevrdull to clean my wheels. It is moist and it will get every speck of dust off--and it will wax your wheels too! It takes me less than 15 minutes to get all of my wheels 100% clean using it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts