ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's SUV seems to have some wheel bearing issues.I can distinctly hear wheel bearing noise.

Now my issue is,how do I make out which of the four wheels has the bad bearing?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Go around a corner, I can't seem to remember which one it is so hopefully someone else will chime in but I think if it is a right wheel then on a left turn it will make more noise and vice versa. Then you should be able to jack up that side and wiggle the wheel (one hand on top and one on the bottom, push with top hand pull with bottom type thing not pushing/pulling with both at the same time like you're trying to pull it off) to see if there is any play in the wheel. Also this doesn't always work, if there isn't any play in the wheels then have your wife ride in all of the passenger seats to try and locate where it is coming from.
Also try and figure out if the suv takes a press in bearing, if so then you will need access to a press or pay a shop to press it in for you.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
719 Posts
I've done the wiggle test. 12-6 oclock. Any wiggle that's your wheel

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I've not been able to wiggle a noisy one. If you can't fell any wiggle, I'd say keep going until it gets loud enough you can tell. It is probably crappy advice, but they don't tear up your hub right away e.g. like a worn out brake liner does to a rotor (in my limited experience). They are typically louder when they are the outside wheel around a corner.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
yeah if you take a right turn and it gets quieter than its the right one and on a left turn if it quiets down its the left

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all the advise.Will try out these tomorrow.

I was going to get just the bearing.But turns out I need a press & slide hammer to get the bearing off the hub.Both of which I do not have.I found it cheaper to just get the hub assembly.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Thank you for all the advise.Will try out these tomorrow.

I was going to get just the bearing.But turns out I need a press & slide hammer to get the bearing off the hub.Both of which I do not have.I found it cheaper to just get the hub assembly.
probably a smarter idea to do it that way lol

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
We don't have that option - it would be my preference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't know how your hub is mounted but it might be a good idea to get an alignment done afterwards.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know how your hub is mounted but it might be a good idea to get an alignment done afterwards.

Yes,I will be getting an alignment afterwards.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
We don't have that option - it would be my preference.
This alone is almost reason enough to want an '08+. At least Subaru saw their way to clarity on that particular issue. Ordering all of the parts then doing the install or having them installed is just a pain on pre-'08 WRX's.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
This alone is almost reason enough to want an '08+. At least Subaru saw their way to clarity on that particular issue. Ordering all of the parts then doing the install or having them installed is just a pain on pre-'08 WRX's.
I agree it is a PITA - however mine have all been fine (we had to do one on the '98 Outback). It is almost always more economical to keep an older car when you add everything up.

I guess I don't feel like letting Subaru off the hook on this just yet as there is zero reason a wheel bearing shouldn't last the normal life of the car!

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
A noisy wheel bearing doesn't always have play. A loose wheel bearing doesn't always make noise.

When you apply more sideways force such as being the outside wheel in the turn, the bearing will get louder.

You may or may not need an alignment. Don't waste your money if you don't. It all depends on what needs to be disturbed to change the bearing. What kind of SUV is it?

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A noisy wheel bearing doesn't always have play. A loose wheel bearing doesn't always make noise.

When you apply more sideways force such as being the outside wheel in the turn, the bearing will get louder.

You may or may not need an alignment. Don't waste your money if you don't. It all depends on what needs to be disturbed to change the bearing. What kind of SUV is it?
Its a Honda CRV.They are notorious for bad wheel bearings.

Looks like I don't need an alignment.

None of the said methods worked.Someone else drove the car while I tried to listen to the sound.Seems to be coming from the rear right.

I would have taken it to a shop but I asked & they want around $400 .The dealer wants $65 an hour(5 hour job) plus cost of parts.

The bearing costs just $80.The hub assembly costs $150.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
Its a Honda CRV.They are notorious for bad wheel bearings.

Looks like I don't need an alignment.

None of the said methods worked.Someone else drove the car while I tried to listen to the sound.Seems to be coming from the rear right.

I would have taken it to a shop but I asked & they want around $400 .The dealer wants $65 an hour(5 hour job) plus cost of parts.

The bearing costs just $80.The hub assembly costs $150.
Perhaps it isn't a bearing at all. The tire could be cupped or have a shifted belt.

What is the noise you're hearing?

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Perhaps it isn't a bearing at all. The tire could be cupped or have a shifted belt.

What is the noise you're hearing?
I actually removed & checked all 4 tires today.All have even wear & I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

It is a whirring noise.It starts at about 30 mph & increases with speed.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
I actually removed & checked all 4 tires today.All have even wear & I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

It is a whirring noise.It starts at about 30 mph & increases with speed.
If the pitch doesn't change with cornering load it's doubtful the bearing is bad.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
What year crv? Your Honda shop only charges $65? **** my old dealership charges $115. Wheel bearing on Honda.. Super easy should take you about 1.5hr

1 - 20 of 21 Posts