Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of a few wheel options for my Blue WRX Sedan.

I definitely like the gold on blue look (WRC STYLE :cool: ) but have no idea which wheel/tire to get.

I don't want to spend more than 300 per wheel and I want a 17" wheel, so what I've found so far have been:

Prodrive P1
Prodrive P7
OZ Superleggara

Also, what tire would you reccomend? I want something that will work very well in the rain (thinking about Michelin Pilots??)

Thanks,
Michael

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
Tires: 225/45 r17 I personally prefer Michelins

Use the tirerack interactive guide to see which one looks best to you

Prodrive P7

Prodrive P1

OZ Superleggara

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
My tires are basically bald, so I've been doing soem heavy duty tire research.

I've come to the conclusion that the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position will be my next tire based on The Tirerack's testing and comments, and the customer comments on The Tirerack.

It looks to be a great performance tire in wet and dry and it features a good treadwear rating and low noise levels. I like it.

I might actually be getting Volk Racing Gram Lights, but they will come shod in Kumho Ecsta Supra 712s which are good tires, but won't last me much longer than 10k miles. Then I can replace them with the S-03s. I'm doing this pretty much so I can keep my stock rims and out fit them with snow tires for rallying.

-Jim

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
I'm doing this pretty much so I can keep my stock rims and out fit them with snow tires for rallying.

-Jim
Are you going to use the snow tires on the stock rims for dirt rallying as well or just when it snows?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
KanosWRX said:
Are you going to use the snow tires on the stock rims for dirt rallying as well or just when it snows?
According to schischwein, snow tires are good for rallying on dirt, gravel, mud, and obviously snow and ice. I tend to believe this since snow tires have a more abrasive (for lack of a better word) quality to them that allows them to grab surfaces that ordinary high performance rubber can't grab. I'll be using them every time I go rallying, no matter what the conditions. This will give me added traction and allow me to keep my street rims pretty.

Also, studded tires designed specifically for snow and ice don't handle well on pavement at all. Since small portions of road rallies are on pavement, I think a good snow tire is the way to go.

BTW, Prodrive wheels are heavy.

-Jim

·
Registered
295 Posts
Prodrive PFF7

To follow up, those Prodrive PFF7 wheels are 25 lbs....

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Who said anything about PFF7s? Thanks for the info however. It's interesting that they would market a set of wheels like that. Although I find them great looking, they are heavier than the already lead weight P1s. So basically, they are just about the same weight as regular P7s...with a heftier price tag?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yosi @ J-Garage

Hey! I go thru Yosi to get all my stuff too. Have you done any business with Taka Kaira? They got a great selection as well...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, that looks like a good deal on the Gram Lites, how are they as wheels, and how are the Ecstas?

Thanks for the help,
Michael

·
Registered
306 Posts
Rota wheels. Shop around. They are strong and light. I'm surprised about one thing: many people on many forums keep saying to buy light and strong and I hear Prodrive constantly. Well, they are nice, they are strong BUT they are not light. I guess people end up saying that the brand makes up for the weight( :rolleyes: ). Anyways, I got Rota wheels, Subzeros. 16.5lbs. $550 for 17" total. I think they are $600 for 18". Yeah, the quality is not perfection(need to take a very close look at them...), but damn, for that price, can't beat that. I heard some people did some off road with those wheels too and nobody seems to have bent one yet.

Then again, some people buy them for the look first. It's up to you. It's like buying shoes. Make sure you like them. Vividracing has a good selection of Rota wheels.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
17" wheels on my A-list:

SSR Competitions at 13.5 lbs. and $375 each

OZ Superleggeras at 15.5 lbs. and $280 each

BBS RKs at 16.2 lbs. and $290 each

Volk Racing Gram Lights at 17 lbs. and $325 each

Inspite of the fact that they are the heaviest wheels on my short list, they are sooooo beautiful and soooo well made, that the Gram Lights will probably be my 17" wheel.

In the mean time, I'll be picking up another set of stockers because I need three sets of wheels:
1) everyday driving
2) snow and rally
3) drag racing and auto-x

-Jim

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yikes

3 sets? Man, you are hardcore!!!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I agree with the Rota thing. I actually used my Rota Tarmacs with street rubber for the rallyx i did a few weeks ago, and no bending at all. They held up well. I'm pretty sure they weigh 19lbs each, so not quite as light as others, but better than the actual P1's.

I went for them becasue they're basically 1/2-1/3 of the price of the P1's, and supposed to be just as strong and lighter. I got mine from revolutions (picked them up at their shop).

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Ok the Rota Attacks look virtually identical, weigh 1.5 lbs less, and are WAY cheaper!

Am I missing something here? This is an awesome deal. Looks like I'll be getting some Rota Attacks.

Thanks, bedabi!

I posted another thread about center caps. I'm going to need some.

-Jim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts