Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what everyone elses is.

Mine with the car stoped at idle is about -.07 mpa +/- .005 (accsesories like lights and blower seem to vary the boost some)

While driving and I take my foot off the gas it drops to about -.09, one tick away from as far as it will go on the factory column mounted boost guage.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TurbeauxREX said:
At idle, about 20" vacuum. No positive pressure seen at idle.

Curtis
Forgive my lack of knowledge but what is 20" vacuum?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
just below 20 vac, when i got my underdrive pulley it dropped from like 20 to like 23 vac...probobly due to lessened parasitic load.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is that 20 psi? So you are getting 20 psi vacuum. That seems like a lot, Unless my factory boost guage is defective. Mine has always been this way since I got the car, but with two people saying they are getting 20psi in vacum that just seems odd.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
psi is pounds per square inch...as im sure you know.....vacuum pressure is measured in inches of mercury im pretty sure...not psi. So you factory boost gauge which measures in bar i think is most likely right, you just misunderstood what we said, its all good.

·
Registered
538 Posts
KanosWRX said:

Forgive my lack of knowledge but what is 20" vacuum?
20" of vacuum is a measure of negative pressure. In our case, it's inches of mercury, negative. With a closed throttle, your engine creates a vacuum. When the throttle plate is opened, you loose vacuum. When you achieve boost, your manifold pressure goes positive, IE: 15PSI, or in your case, some metric value, .01kg. I went with a boost gauge that reads in PSI / vacuum cause I didn't want to deal with converting. Lazy or dumb, whatever. Not to mention, >$200 for the factory boost gauge is plain old rape!

Peace,

Curtis

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for clearing all that up for me. If you had an air leak (like in a uppipe) somewhere would you get more vacuum, or less?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine is 0.57 bar at idle, and I run a MBC and a MRT TMIC. Most boost gauges measure off the compressor side of the turbo, and on boost, one can expect a 0.5 to 1.0 bar drop after the charge passes the inetrcooler. So, its hard to say what an up-pipe leak would do to the boost- depends on temperature, intercooler, ect. A small up-pipe leak in a catless turbo should not drop boost that much with a decent boost controller./SIZE]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.