Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just so you know:
Stock turbo, Vishnu DP, PDM Turbos Flex Uppipe, K&N Filter, Cobb Stage 2 Reflash, Prodrive Axleback

Ever since my flex uppipe was put in something strange has been happening. When I first start the car, I get great boost response and full boost.

Once the car is warmed up, I spool REALLY slow and don't get boost until 4 - 4.5K rpm. Any ideas on things to check??

Started doing this before my Cobb reflash, so I really doubt that's the problem.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
176 Posts
The only thing I can think of is a exhaust leak somewhere in your uppipe or the gaskets. After the car is warmed up go under the hood/car and check for leaks.

Other than that I don' t know.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Called Bret and he couldn't think of anything but that my wastegate may be hitting the splitter on my downpipe. Car goes in on Monday. :(

·
Registered
176 Posts
wrxinthehouse said:
Called Bret and he couldn't think of anything but that my wastegate may be hitting the splitter on my downpipe. Car goes in on Monday. :(
Thats a VERY good possibility actually. I remember when some of the BPM units had this very problem. Just take it off and 'persuade the splittler' a little ;).

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
wrxinthehouse said:
Wouldn't this cause the exact opposite problem? A wastegate that doesn't open would cause too much boost. Or am I just smoking the bad crack again?

·
Registered
176 Posts
With the BPM the splitter was a little too close to the wastegate and what would happen is the wastegate would open up during a WOT/boost run and then wedge itself partially open against the splitter = VERY laggy response [heh].

I think the fix is just to tap it with a hammer a bit towards the turbine side of the turbo/away from the wastegate.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My BPM is ok on both the 1820 and VF-22. :confused: So I would know I had a problem if I had more lag then usual Dave?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, appointment is set for Monday morning at 8:30am. I also ordered the stock hose pieces that go from the turbo nipple to the stock "t", the hose that goes from the "t" to the actuator, and the stock restrictor.

Right now it's kind of a frankenstein mess going to the stock boost solenoid with connectors to make stock hoses reach (they were hacked up to put in the SBC-id), and the 3/16" mod. The stock pieces should all be here today. I'll put them in today and see if there is any change.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Have you tried anything to the wastegate to see if that was the problem? Like I told you over the phone, I really can't think of anything. I hope that it is something simple.

OT: maybe sore subject, but how is your foglight project going? Haven't heard anything lately.

Have a fun and safe trip to AZ.

Todd

·
Registered
393 Posts
I also ordered mine from Shortline and it took two days. I didn't order all the pieces though. I know they had told me that a couple of pieces were really backordered from Japan!

Todd

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ordered mine from Shortline (since they are on my way home), and they said that there were some here in Denver. Ordered yesterday, and I should be getting them today after work.

Haven't checked anything with the wastegate yet because I want to try the hoses first. (much easier)

Foglight project is still on, but my "shop" is closed for the next 3 weeks, so no work until then.

·
Registered
697 Posts
wrxinthehouse said:
I ordered mine from Shortline (since they are on my way home), and they said that there were some here in Denver. Ordered yesterday, and I should be getting them today after work.

Yeah, when I went to order mine they said they had one in stock in some warehouse in Denver. And they'd call me the next day or a few days after. So a week and a half go by with no phone call. I drive down there and they say 'someone must've grabbed that last one' now they were on back order from Japan.

So let me know if you get yours tomorrow so I can go down there and complain.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Parts were there. I put them in last night, and it only seems to have made the problem worse. :(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts