ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seriously, i have been drooling over the pics since i saw them late last year. as i am a current GTI driver i have always loved the hatchbacks. which is a double whammy whe i saw the STI hatch. now that i started telling all my friends about my recent order they are all saying that its too expensive and ugly. i find it especially funny when two the main antagonists drive a 2003 Civic and a POS 96 integra (and im not saying it because i hate, im saying it because its falling apart)
are they jealous???
~~ i really dont care because i know the stock STI will blow the doors off of both cars when i get it... and i fell in love with the STI even more when i finally saw one in person last week.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Its grown on me since the first pics came out. The established "culture" it seems will always hate the next incarnation. Its ok. If you like it, get it. Dont worry about what others think, life and warranties are too short.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I just saw the STI at the Chicago Autoshow, and I have to admit that in person it looks way better then online, still not a fan of the WRX styling, in either Sedan or Hatch, but the STI styling is just plain hot!

·
Registered
30 Posts
hell, if I know you I'd be jealous too! but I'd be happy too because you would let me test drive her, right????:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Get what you like.

·
Banned
56 Posts
I bought my Z because it was popular and "hot". I bought this car because I didn't want to stop driving it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get what you like.
exactly... but instead of being happy for me it seems my friends are just making immature statements.... and i'll always buy something that I like instead of what others like. thats why i drive volkswagens. they sure aren't the fastest cars on the block, but they sure do have personality.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,722 Posts
Yet another "STI hate thread".

Should I just lock it now? :rotfl:

·
Registered
594 Posts
lol lock it now
40k for just a nicer interior. lil bit more utility w/ the seats being able to lay down. and lil tad bump in power.no more "rawness" are teh only reasonable complaints.

i think we will know once the wrc starts. and the tunerbility of the car.
but i do love the white/gold combo.

·
Administrator ...De Rerum Natura
20,139 Posts
I've have found that listening to fallout boy, helps me get through when my friends make fun of my car...

j/k :rotfl: Don't worry about haters.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Just to each his own, everyone cant like the same thing, life would be way to boring.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Yet another "STI hate thread".

Should I just lock it now? :rotfl:
Wait, before you do...

Even though I have no problem saying that the STi is hideous compared to the previous versions, you can't argue its performance.
I personally just don't like 4 door hatchbacks. They are ugly. Period. Hatchbacks, like coupes and convertibles should not be anything other than 2 doors(3 if you count the hatch). If you have the need for more than two doors, get an effin sedan or true station wagon. Damn.
What saddens me is that Subaru didn't come up with this on their own. Noooo. They had to follow in Mazda and Ford's footsteps with their ugly ass Focus and 3 'hot hatch' designs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wait, before you do...
Even though I have no problem saying that the STi is hideous compared to the previous versions, you can't argue its performance.
I personally just don't like 4 door hatchbacks. They are ugly. Period. Hatchbacks, like coupes and convertibles should not be anything other than 2 doors(3 if you count the hatch). If you have the need for more than two doors, get an effin sedan or true station wagon. Damn.
What saddens me is that Subaru didn't come up with this on their own. Noooo. They had to follow in Mazda and Ford's footsteps with their ugly ass Focus and 3 'hot hatch' designs.
hey at least you have viable arguments. which i respect... i just dont appreciate it when people say they dont like the car for no reason at all other than "its ugly", my reply is "so is your mom, but if you're standing here someone must like her"

·
"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre"
2,190 Posts
I admit.... I'm one of the biggest "haters" out there of the 08 Impreza models.

In fact, I hate just about all of the new 08 Subaru "vanilla" styling.

The 08 tribeca is just as ugly.... looks like a damn Dodge Caravan.

I admit... I've seen the STI in person, and it is pretty nice.

Here's the thing though..... it's more money.

And the WRX?? What an ugly turd that thing is. The STI has the flared fenders, which adds dramatically to the car. The WRX?? Awful.

the 02-07 Impreza line has quite literally, created a cult-like following... hell, thats why we're all here. We all love our funny looking, obscure cars.

So when Subaru decided to build a new model, that looks like something a soccer-mom would drive.... a lot of us got pretty pissed off about it, and it kinda felt like a slap in the face from Subaru.

With that....

The STIs are nice cars... just not as nice as previous years... and more $$$.

The WRXs?? Aren't even worth buying they are so ugly.

Subaru just lost a LOT of their clientel. I know I'm not alone in this opinion... but look at the new EVO.... wow..... amazing car.

Why would you choose a Subaru now?

I'm glad I bought 06 and 07 Subarus.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,722 Posts
Subaru just lost a LOT of their clientel. I know I'm not alone in this opinion... but look at the new EVO.... wow..... amazing car.

Why would you choose a Subaru now?
They may have CHANGED clientele, by making their look more in line with the current crop of Japanese imports. The jury's out with regard to sales results. Granted, the '08 car doesn't have the quirky appeal that earlier (and especially bugeye) models have...IMO, of course.

But as I've said before, there are some of us out there now that aren't really hung up on "what the car looks like". The '08 WRX and STI are both functional 4-door hatchbacks...that's great for a family guy. AWD goodness is still there, modability appears to be outstanding on both cars. I may some day find myself in one those models.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would just like to jump on the hate wagon and say that the new EVO has fallen out of the same ugly tree. the fact that so many people seem to like it it another sign of the impending apocolypse.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I would just like to jump on the hate wagon and say that the new EVO has fallen out of the same ugly tree. the fact that so many people seem to like it it another sign of the impending apocolypse.
So aestetic wise, we have the choice between a pile of crap, or a pile of steaming, stinking barf? At least the new STi's power/drivetrain is still as robust and desireable as the previous models. However, I'm not sure I like the fact that Mistu has done away with a proven cast-iron powerplant in their Evos. Not quite as sacreligious as Nissan discontinuing the RB26 in the GTR, but close.

OT: Awesome avatar btw. I found and bought the JDM version of him while I was stationed over in Okinawa. I found Prowl and Hotrod as well.

·
Registered
169 Posts
hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate
Ignore the haters, get what you like. I forget who said it in this thread but they made a great point. Everytime a new model comes out, owners of the previous model talk about how ugly the new car is. I'm sure '04+ owners had to deal with it, '06+ owners definitely had to deal with it, and of course us '08 owners are having to deal with it. I'm sure I'll do my part to try to convince '10 owners that their Scoobies are ugly as well. It's all hate. The cars are sick, and if I had the money I would have bought the '08 STI and maybe in a couple years I'll upgrade to the '10 or '11 STI.

As for your friends, tell them they're just afraid to "holla at a playa when they see him in the streets." What color STI did you get?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts