ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Hope this will help some people cause i need the help equally as bad.

Here is what i have: 2005 wrx WWB (world rally blue) Originally had an Ej20 ( ej-20 EJ20 ) 2.0L (2.0 L).
When i got the car the guy had blown the driver rear piston rod and chopped up the lower part of the block ( He just happened to be a clubwrx member) .....sooo a costly mistake calls for a bad ass upgrade. Whats going in? Turns out the 2.5L EJ25 fits up to the heads of the 2.0 Ej20. Ya dig? All you need is a Cobb access port, and some odds and ends, I am trying to figure out the odds n ends Caaauuuse they are pretty important. ( If i am wrong about any of this PLEASE correct me! ) There is a specific MAP from cobb for specific upgrades, When i bought the car it JUST happened to have most of these:
Cobb access port MAP requires:
+VF34 91oct
-VF34 turbo, Stock TMIC, STi "Pink" 565cc fuel injectors, & turboback exhaust with a high flow catalytic converter using 91 octane. 315HP (+39%) / 295 lb-ft (+36%)

Except: the 2.5 Ej25 short block which is going in they also have one for all the mentioned upgrades plus the 2.5L short block.

Im gonna try and get these pictures workin right bear with me while i get aquatinted with the site as i will be getting involved in other peoples builds. I Look forward to meeting all of you.

If you have any comments on how to reach i larger audience please let me know (like using separate tags and what not) I will check this thing daily!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it need a ej20 head gasket or an ej25 then? and that text was copied right from the Cobb site (ctrl C ctrl V). So yeah they do have a Map to Match. Is there anyone out there who has done this and how did it go?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Does it need a ej20 head gasket or an ej25 then? and that text was copied right from the Cobb site (ctrl C ctrl V). So yeah they do have a Map to Match. Is there anyone out there who has done this and how did it go?
Yes. I have done a hybrid build. Its a great build/upgrade but a lot more involved than you think. If you are not a competent builder/machinist than I recommend finding a reputable shop/builder/tuner to do the build. Honestly, I could have done much of the build myself (I have done extensive work on a turboed S2K in pulling the engine, tranny, ect), but working on the WRX is much more complicated than a Honda so the $1400 I paid to get it done professionally was well worth it.

For my build I used a EJ257 SB (2.5L STi motor), CP Pistons, Kelford 264/264 cams...spooling an 18g 8cm (see my profile for the rest of the specs).

You are gonna need:

New oil pump
New water pump
New belts
Head Gasket (for compression purposes)
forged pistons (highly recommended) - CP, wisco, mahl
FP- Walbro 255
Injectors (ask your tuner what size...prolly 650cc) - you prolly can used the Pinks tho.
Clutch/Flywheel (replace or resurface as necessary)
Valve Springs
Retainers
Head Studs
Shims (if changing the pistons, must be matched to the pistons)
Cams - if you want to pull hard to redline (smaller grind; ie: Tomei 252s or some Kelford 264/264s)

Also, I am almost positive Cobb does not have a map for a hybrid build (the Cobb notes you quoted are not from a MAP for hybrid), due to the fact that each build is different. IMHO the AP is a waste of $. Get a custom open source tune. I used to have an AP and I ran the Cobb OTS Stage 2 Map, I sold it for $500 and got a custom tune w/dyno time for my hybrid and even made $100 in the process.

I am sure I forgot something, but that should get you started. However, I highly recommend you get an experienced builder/tuner and do what he suggests, as too many hybrid builds go bad due to poor build quality and cutting corners.

·
Banned
6,622 Posts
No, you quoted a map for your old 2.0L setup. They don't have a hybrid one.

If you are keeping the VfXX series turbo, use an STI head gasket. If you plan on going with a large turbo, use a thicker Cometic gasket.

I have a hybrid motor as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:) Nice i dig your set up! Those are the odds and ends i was curious about. Most of the people i have around me are auto geniuses, but subarus tend to be a little different then your standard import. So, yeah the ProMod idea might be a good call. and the text i pulled from the cobb sight is actually for the 2.0 or the 2.5 with mentioned upgrades. Not the 2.5 with 2.0 heads, so yeah your right about that. Cobb is curently working on a project with the hybrid set up that we (you and I) are running, i don't remember what the projects name is i will have to call and ask them. But they are working on it. Im curious what the advantage of the open source tune would be, and where i could get it done here in Sacramento. I have some of the things you have recomended but which ones specifically are you recomending? :

New oil pump = Which one? sti isn't sufficient?
New water pump = Sti
New belts = got em
Head Gasket (for compression purposes) = 2.0? 2.5? custom cut?
forged pistons (highly recommended) = CP, wisco, mahl - Don't have i have got the sti block ones i hope will be ok for now
FP- Walbro 255
Injectors (ask your tuner what size...prolly 650cc) = you prolly can used the Pinks tho.- Got the Pinks 565
Clutch/Flywheel (replace or resurface as necessary) = Got em
Valve Springs = Good call do you think a port n polish would be worth it?

These ones you lost me on:

Retainers
Head Studs
Cams - if you want to pull hard to redline (smaller grind; ie: Tomei 252s or some Kelford 264/264s)

Here are some pictures of the her and the mess of parts needing to puzzle back together:

<table border="0" width="800" style="border: none; font-family: Myriad, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif;"><tr><td colspan="2" style="border: none;"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowNetworking="all" src="http://w71.photobucket.com/flash/tagWidget.swf?mediaURL=aHR0cDovL2k3MS5waG90b2J1Y2tldC5jb20vYWxidW1zL2kxMzUvcmlkZTRqdXN0aWNlL0lNR18wMDMxLmpwZw%3D%3D" width="800" height="600"/></td></tr></table>

<table border="0" width="800" style="border: none; font-family: Myriad, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif;"><tr><td colspan="2" style="border: none;"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowNetworking="all" src="http://w71.photobucket.com/flash/tagWidget.swf?mediaURL=aHR0cDovL2k3MS5waG90b2J1Y2tldC5jb20vYWxidW1zL2kxMzUvcmlkZTRqdXN0aWNlL0lNR18wMDMyLmpwZw%3D%3D" width="800" height="600"/></td></tr></table>

<table border="0" width="600" style="border: none; font-family: Myriad, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif;"><tr><td colspan="2" style="border: none;"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowNetworking="all" src="http://w71.photobucket.com/flash/tagWidget.swf?mediaURL=aHR0cDovL2k3MS5waG90b2J1Y2tldC5jb20vYWxidW1zL2kxMzUvcmlkZTRqdXN0aWNlL0lNR18wMDMzLmpwZw%3D%3D" width="600" height="800"/></td></tr></table>

<table border="0" width="600" style="border: none; font-family: Myriad, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif;"><tr><td colspan="2" style="border: none;"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowNetworking="all" src="http://w71.photobucket.com/flash/tagWidget.swf?mediaURL=aHR0cDovL2k3MS5waG90b2J1Y2tldC5jb20vYWxidW1zL2kxMzUvcmlkZTRqdXN0aWNlL0lNR18wMDM0LmpwZw%3D%3D" width="600" height="800"/></td></tr></table>

<table border="0" width="600" style="border: none; font-family: Myriad, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif;"><tr><td colspan="2" style="border: none;"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowNetworking="all" src="http://w71.photobucket.com/flash/tagWidget.swf?mediaURL=aHR0cDovL2k3MS5waG90b2J1Y2tldC5jb20vYWxidW1zL2kxMzUvcmlkZTRqdXN0aWNlL0lNR18wMDM3LmpwZw%3D%3D" width="600" height="800"/></td></tr></table>

I hope these come out ok: Again, CoolWrx i Dig your stats! It gets me excited to work on this thing here.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
:) I have some of the things you have recomended but which ones specifically are you recomending? :

New oil pump = Which one? sti isn't sufficient?
New water pump = Sti
New belts = got em
Head Gasket (for compression purposes) = 2.0? 2.5? custom cut?
forged pistons (highly recommended) = CP, wisco, mahl - Don't have i have got the sti block ones i hope will be ok for now
FP- Walbro 255
Injectors (ask your tuner what size...prolly 650cc) = you prolly can used the Pinks tho.- Got the Pinks 565
Clutch/Flywheel (replace or resurface as necessary) = Got em
Valve Springs = Good call do you think a port n polish would be worth it?

These ones you lost me on:

Retainers
Head Studs
For the oil & water pump STi OEM is fine.

Head Gasket - Cosmetic or Cosworth (the thickness depends on your setup and what compression you are trying to achieve)

Head Studs - just a good idea to replace them (I used ARP studs).

Springs/Retainers - are not necessary, but are nice especially if your changing the cams.

Shims - must be changed if your putting new pistons in..basically you match the spacing/sizing of the pistons with the correctly sized shims, check the clearences and then move on to the next piston/shim.

Cams - for a Daily driver you are going to want a smaller grind such as the ones I recommended. To elaborate: cams will let you pull hard to redline, as w/o them you will see a major drop off in power after 5500rpms (see my dyno graph below):

Notice how I am still making 300whp at 7000rpms (and thats at 16PSI) thats what cams do...allow you to make power at the higher RPMs.

Lastly, you said your in Sacramento, CA....there are a TON of tuners in the Cali and prolly w/in close distance of you...Cali is the mecca of the U.S. tuning world IMHO. I suggest you post in the local forums here & on NASIOC and ask around to find out the best builders/tuners in your area

Good luck with the build.

·
Registered
966 Posts
the accessport is different from the 2.0 - 2.5's anyway....like coolwrx already said...scrap the AP and get opensource tuned

1 - 8 of 8 Posts