Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2015 ISM WRX Premium SPT package
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - have gone through the posts of the TOB issue and noise etc but still unsure if this is it or not. I dealt with the dealership at around 15k miles about a chirping issue with the slave cylinder and the top of the fork which I'm sure we've all heard in our Subarus before. Anyways a dimple of lithium grease and the chirping stopped.

About a month ago, with 24k miles on the car, in rough the car back in for a slight whirring sound when accelerating, cruising and deceleration. I couldn't reproduce the whirring but the chirp came back and they said it was the Perrin pitch stop causing louder than normal NVH and sent me packing

A week back I installed the stock pitch stop and a couple of days later started hearing the whirring much more. It's louder on acceleration and deceleration and only slightly heard when sitting idle with my foot on the clutch pedal. None at all in neutral.

Here's a clip attached where I am turning into a side street, you'll hear the chirp and the whirring and then decelerating towards the end where the noise gets louder. It is loudest in 1st and 2nd gear, but can be heard lesser in 3-6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mlzfbCycSI

(there is no picture as the camera was sitting under my dash)

· Registered
2015 ISM WRX Premium SPT package
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Brought it into Subaru, the tech did a ride around with me and the sound was barely noticeable. Seemed to get louder after a 30 minute stop and go ride. Started really grinding and whirring about 2 miles before I got back to the dealer. Mechanic said it might be low or bad trans fluid but i kept saying TOB lol. He put it up on the lift and had another mechanic start it up and shift through, sure enough TOB but they also suspect issues with 1st and 2nd gear synchros. They applied this to a 'recall' and redesign of the TOB and Release bearing on the 15/16 WRXs. Apparently for 17-18 the bearings are designed differently.

Included in the recall is a new clutch and assembly, fork, slave cylinder, both bearings and flywheel. I dropped off 6qts of Motul 300V as well.

So far they've only dropped my trans off the car and said if it is the synchros they have to shift my transmission out or order a rebuild. Service Manager hooked me up with a Hybrid Crosstrek in the mean time, said I could be without the car for 7-14 days... oh well it's all covered under warranty, and they threw in an upper engine cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
4,858 Posts
I can't get the video to load

I'm just kind of throwing this out there for some info, but I tried redone transmission and diff fluid at one point, and it shifted great, however after some time, the transmission got very loud. As soon as I switched it out for Subaru's synthetic s I think it is, got quiet immediately
The throw out bearing always sounded like chirping. Even with the Exedy OE replacement, same chirp

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.