Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my WRX Monday... fresh from the factory not off the lot. There's a green substance that looks like grease on the inside of the engine bay, and some on the intercooler (it's all on the firewall side pretty much)... picture is attached. I assume this is normal but I just want to make sure. Thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
hokieitr said:
I just picked up my WRX Monday... fresh from the factory not off the lot. There's a green substance that looks like grease on the inside of the engine bay, and some on the intercooler (it's all on the firewall side pretty much)... picture is attached. I assume this is normal but I just want to make sure. Thanks!
Maybe the repair job on the smashed up green Impreza is sub optimal....:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KurleeDaddeeWRX said:
What a good job Subaru did painting the engine compartment of that car. Quality Assurance should be handed their ass for letting something like that go to the consumer.
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
Well holon a sec though... it sucks pictures don't depict depth :) From the way that picture it taken that might look like paint is missing from that area,it's not.. in fact, it's a coating of some sort, much like the consistency of grease... it just happens to be splattered back there. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
hokieitr said:

Well holon a sec though... it sucks pictures don't depict depth :) From the way that picture it taken that might look like paint is missing from that area,it's not.. in fact, it's a coating of some sort, much like the consistency of grease... it just happens to be splattered back there. That's what I'm trying to figure out.
Simple way to find out....Drive by and ask them....Mine has some stuff like that on it but it is coolant that tends to leak from the overflow reservior under some conditions.....

·
Registered
310 Posts
It is possible it is some sort of anti rust stuff they spray on the 4
metal tubings and over shot on to the firewall ?

·
Registered
208 Posts
cosmoline sprayed on exhaust components will just burn off. I'd leave it alone or get some Griots engine cleaner and have at it. It won't hurt anything to leave it there. I think I still have some all over the tranny, my overspray was nowhere near that bad though. I'd be worried about owning a Friday car if I were you and not worry about it unless you're building a show car. But watch it like a hawk to make sure nothing is leaking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What is Cosmoline?

What does this stuff do? Is it some type of protectant?

Thanks,
Tas

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was under my car last night replacing the front swaybar with a Cusco and I noticed the same green waxy stuff on the filter and pan on my auto trans as well as a few other areas in the vicinity. When I looked further I found that it seems to be coming off of the front axle where it comes out of the front differential on both sides. Both of the pieces (don't know what they are called) are evenly coated with that green waxy coating. The other areas are just spattered from the axle spinning.

Dale

·
Registered
208 Posts
iceNine said:
When I looked further I found that it seems to be coming off of the front axle where it comes out of the front differential on both sides.
Dale
no it's not. My car looks the same and has for the last 7000 miles. It's just the protectant, it's meant to be there, and IS not leaking out of anything. If yours is wet, you have a leak from somewhere, but certainly not one that oozes cosmoline. I had a leak from one of the transmission tunnel detents, tightend it up and stopped the leak, at first I thought the cosmoline was the substance leaking but it was tranny oil NOT the cosmoline. I get the feeling I'll be posting this over and over again. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
not to startle you.

but there have been a few cases of defective radiators, and antifreeze spraying around the bay. check your levels. if they are low, go to the dealer and get it checked out.

i have NOTHING of the sort in my bay and never did, so i am less apt to believe it is any coating, or a bad paint job. plus, a bad spray job would reveal primer which is grey, not green.

i don't think it's cosmoline. that wouldn't be that far up on your bay, and it doesn't look like that at all.

if its some sort of axel grease, you have a major issue if it got from the wheel well up to your intercooler area. this seems very unlikely.

dR

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm confident that my "green stuff" is not from the radiator as I've had my radiator replaced already, and it wasn't even leaking. I know what dried coolant looks like, I owned a Jeep that leaked like a sieve, and this coating is most certainly not coolant. It even failed the taste test, I don't recommend anyone trying that though. The cosmoline coating has always been waxy and tacky, not greasy or oily on my car. FWIW the coating is NOT on my engine bay itself, it's on the underside of the engine and tranny tunnel. I don't have any overspray, probably due to the fact that the compartment has been stripped and repainted as a result of the accident.
So yes, it's just a thick layer of cosmoline, unless it tastes sweet. But don't go licking your engine, you won't like it ;)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
dude, I'd call the Exorsist just to be on the safe side :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Seeing that I sold subarus for three years up untill recently I have recieved many calls of customers worried about this "Green Stuff" It is sprayed on as a protectant from the harsh sea water when the cars are shipped on the big container ships from Japan, no need to worry, it will burn off of the hot parts of the engine bay and on the cooler parts it will stay put unless washed off with degreaser. no biggie just Subaru being thorough;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
i have the same green stuff on my firewall. I thought it had something to do with protecting the A/C lines from the heat from intercooler and turbo. I left it on.:confused:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts