ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the big differnece between the early 02 wrx transmissions, and the 03 wrx transmissions??

just wondering.. cause i have an 03 wrx with 85K and has been stage 2 for 60K or so and no tranny problems for me, but my friend just bout a 02 wrx and he is stage 2 roughly, just wondering..

thanks
ryan

·
Registered
167 Posts
i have herd that the 03 wrx tranny has wider gears than the 02, but i have not confirmed that.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
There are two different gearbox codes for the 02 cars. Late 02 cars have the revised gearbox, reportedly with wider gears. This means the pieces generated when a gear shatters will tend to be larger.

EDIT: Compare gearbox codes and see if your cars have the same one.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are two different gearbox codes for the 02 cars. Late 02 cars have the revised gearbox, reportedly with wider gears. This means the pieces generated when a gear shatters will tend to be larger.

EDIT: Compare gearbox codes and see if your cars have the same one.
so what did the wider gears do?? what was the point?

·
Registered
593 Posts
in theory the winder gear would give the torque of the engine a greater surface area upon to tranfer the load. but obviously the tranny still breaks and people still have issuses... stronger gears are the answer, not wider.

Matt

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
in theory the winder gear would give the torque of the engine a greater surface area upon to tranfer the load. but obviously the tranny still breaks and people still have issuses... stronger gears are the answer, not wider.

Matt
ya... thats what i thought

1 - 9 of 9 Posts