ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to make my wrx 2004 sound real loud and mean. Not like those cracker jack hondas lol that sounds like they're breaking down.

I just wanted to know the difference on the exhaust systems. I see there catback exhaust and turbo back? What's the difference?
And whats the loudest and deepest exhaust system out there? That will also give great power?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Well the difference between a catback and turbo back is a catback only includes the pipes from the catalytic converter back (mid-pipe and axleback) and a turbo back includes those pipes and a downpipe. Any 3" turbo back exhaust will give the same power output but a tune is REQUIRED. You will get no gains from a catback except for sound. The Invidia N1 Race is insanely loud, the Crawford Gymkhana is stupid loud and basically a straight pipe. However, the louder you get generally the more drone and sometimes crackling you get. Get on youtube and listen to some clips to decide what you like

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the difference between a catback and turbo back is a catback only includes the pipes from the catalytic converter back (mid-pipe and axleback) and a turbo back includes those pipes and a downpipe. Any 3" turbo back exhaust will give the same power output but a tune is REQUIRED. You will get no gains from a catback except for sound. The Invidia N1 Race is insanely loud, the Crawford Gymkhana is stupid loud and basically a straight pipe. However, the louder you get generally the more drone and sometimes crackling you get. Get on youtube and listen to some clips to decide what you like

Mmk I get it. But if I want the power and just get the catback, to get the hp and torque I can just get the down pipe separately?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Mmk I get it. But if I want the power and just get the catback, to get the hp and torque I can just get the down pipe separately?
If your asking if you can buy them separately then that depends on the exhaust system. There are standard length systems that will bolt up to any standard length downpipe and there are systems that must have the entire system such as my BPM turbo-back. However, getting an aftermarket catback to bolt up to a stock downpipe requires an adapter kit as one is 2.5" and the other 3". Once again, the downpipe is what gives you power but it requires a tune. You also need to replace your up-pip with a catless unit ASAP as the cats are known to come apart and damage the turbo/motor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts