Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goal with my 2002 wrx is 300 hp in the cheapest and most reliable way. I want to keep the car as close as stock as possible and i don't want any driveability problems like check engine lights.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
joe_white said:
I want to keep the car as close as stock as possible and i don't want any driveability problems like check engine lights.
what exactly do you mean by "close to stock"?

the ONLY way to get 300hp is to get rid of a lot of stock parts.

new turbo
turboback exhaust
uppipe
fuel system upgrade
engine management

just to be on the reliable side of 300hp, all those parts should be installed.

once you hit 300hp, you really should mod the rest of the car to match. this would require some kind of brake upgrade, some suspension work, probably a grounding mod.

making a car accelerate faster than stock isn't a good idea if it can't stop faster and handle better than stock as well.

for 300 reliable horses and a car that can handle those 300 horses safely, i'd say you're looking at around 5-7 thousand dollars depending on which parts you use. then add in install labor at $60-90/ hour if you don't plan on doing all the work yourself

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
wait...are we talking crank hp or wheel hp?

BTW...vishnu's site seems to be down....

·
2,210 Posts
I assume he means 'at the crank', although I think it is more useful to talk in terms of WHP. Anyway, that being the case I'm gonna say the cheapest AND safest way to make 300HP at the crank is with a 50-shot of Nitrous and a fuel pump. $600; can't beat it!

Why the safest? Because the 50-shots are generally specced with rich jetting from the factory and the power is only there when you need it, not all the time. This is going to be easier on your drivetrain and kinder to your life expectancy.

Close to stock? In terms of parts installed and/or OE components removed; yes. Drivability problems? None, since you won't be on the bottle till you need it.

But, maybe you have other criteria to consider? I suspect you do...

;)

Realistically, most people discard Nitrous out of hand as being a specialized solution for an unique few. That's a shame; I cannot convey to you how much the WRX likes being on the bottle, and it's an ideal solution for those people that don't want big power 'all the time'.

The TurboXS stage-2 will get you up around 270-280HP, and Vishnu have similar offerings. The TurboXS involves the least departure from stock components and is going to be the easiest to remove for dealership visits.

-Pace

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I mean removing the least bit of stock components. I mean 300 crank hp. I just traded a 2001 cavalier z-24 in on this 2002 rex. I had several grand in all motor bolt ons and i had the car running [email protected] It was quick but you can see why i'd be happy with 300 flywheel coming from a cavalier. Plus i love the car so far. I haven't even had it a week yet and i only have 550 miles on it. But love it. I just want to mostly bolt stuff on. I'd like to keep the stock turbo if i could. I heard you can get 30 hp from just a turbo back exhaust with only one cat. Also an uppipe and so on. Mods like that i consider boltons. I hate check engine lights. They drive me nuts and i can't drive with it on. So with this in mind do you guys have any more ideas?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also i want the power to always be there so nos is out of the question. MAINLY i want the car to spool quicker. My cavalier would eat this wrx alive before until the wrx hits 3,500. I miss lowend torque bad. This car is a pain to go up hill at a stop sign. I want the turbo to spool quicker with more low end torque and high end hp. That's my "wants"

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
joe_white said:
Also i want the power to always be there so nos is out of the question. MAINLY i want the car to spool quicker. My cavalier would eat this wrx alive before until the wrx hits 3,500. I miss lowend torque bad. This car is a pain to go up hill at a stop sign. I want the turbo to spool quicker with more low end torque and high end hp. That's my "wants"
Me too. (Well, once I get a Rex) :D

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
joe_white said:

Um, joe. You're Cavalier ain't eaten most WRXs I know of. Not with those times. No offense.

-Jim

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reread my post....i said eating a wrx UNTIL it hits 3,500. I dynoed 170 pounds of torque to the wheels with my cavy and the tq curve was flat as hell. The peak was at like 4,000 and was really flat. But that was a different saga. This is the new one. On with the quest of 300 horses!

·
1,911 Posts
300 Hp? Easy at the crank. At the wheels involves more butu doable as well. I drove one that had 311 whp everyday to work. I have also built half a dozen at 300+ whp that their owners drive everyday. It's not hard but be ready to sacrifice the fog lights to the intercooler gods. For 300 crank HP try this combo:

VF30 turbo
Unichip
Uppipe/downpipe (no cats)
EBC

That will get you there with stock injectors. 300 Hp isn't all that much really though. Certainly not once you've tasted 390.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
joe_white said:
Reread my post....i said eating a wrx UNTIL it hits 3,500. I dynoed 170 pounds of torque to the wheels with my cavy and the tq curve was flat as hell. The peak was at like 4,000 and was really flat. But that was a different saga. This is the new one. On with the quest of 300 horses!
I'm never below 3500rpms tho. I launch at 5k and shift at redline. I don't see what you mean. A roll-on? OK. Sure, but why wouldn't I down shift?

I'll admit, those are IMPRESSIVE times for a Cav!!!

-Jim

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
God said:
300 Hp? Easy at the crank. At the wheels involves more butu doable as well. I drove one that had 311 whp everyday to work. I have also built half a dozen at 300+ whp that their owners drive everyday. It's not hard but be ready to sacrifice the fog lights to the intercooler gods. For 300 crank HP try this combo:

VF30 turbo
Unichip
Uppipe/downpipe (no cats)
EBC

That will get you there with stock injectors. 300 Hp isn't all that much really though. Certainly not once you've tasted 390.
I guess it wouldn't be legal in CA since you removed all 3 cats. Damn. How often do we have to get smogged these days? Is it once a year? :confused:

·
1,911 Posts
joe_white said:
Well, that's pretty nice but at the same time I launch my WRX at around 4500-5000 RPM (slipping the clutch) so I'm not really below 3500 at any time anyway.

·
Registered
196 Posts
joe_white said:
I only have 150 miles on mine, but it does seem to lack torque off the line. I'm probably just not used to it yet though, and also I'm going out of my way to not beat on it for break-in purposes. The Spec V is geared for torque and puts out 180'/lbs so its got plenty of pull down low. It redlines at 6250 though, which is its downfall. I'm sure it could take the WRX off the line, but the WRX would definitely reel the Spec back in by the top of 2nd. (I'm talking stock for stock). Nonetheless, I'm loving the WRX! I've gotten nothing but compliments on it so far, and everyone seems to stare at it around town. :cool: I'm dying to mod it, but figured I should at least wait until its broken in and I've got a better overall feel for the car. Otherwise I'm not going to be able to tell what difference the mods made. I'd like the car to be a bit louder for starters, but hacking the airbox doesnt appeal to me (yet, anyway lol). ;)

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
the vishnu stage 1.0 gives you 305hp at the crank and 255 at the wheels(so they say i havent heard anything about it) the price last time i checked wasnt listed yet but im assuming around $1500-$2000

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Spec V is geared for torque and puts out 180'/lbs so its got plenty of pull down low. It redlines at 6250 though, which is its downfall. I'm sure it could take the WRX off the line, but the WRX would definitely reel the Spec back in by the top of 2nd. (I'm talking stock for stock).
:confused:

The WRX eats the Spec V off the line stock vs. stock. WRX by 2 car lengths at end of first. The AWD launch keeps WRX in powerband. How are you launching?

An AWD car requires different launching technique. Once you learn how, it's :D all the way. Literally throws you back in your seat when stock. Wait till you have 300hp (like I will next week).

Sorry, 2003WRX. I just realized that you only have 150 miles on it so far. You'll see what I mean after break in period. Man, that first 1000 miles is like a nightmare.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
2003WRX said:
I only have 150 miles on mine, but it does seem to lack torque off the line. I'm probably just not used to it yet though, and also I'm going out of my way to not beat on it for break-in purposes. The Spec V is geared for torque and puts out 180'/lbs so its got plenty of pull down low. It redlines at 6250 though, which is its downfall. I'm sure it could take the WRX off the line, but the WRX would definitely reel the Spec back in by the top of 2nd. (I'm talking stock for stock). Otherwise I'm not going to be able to tell what difference the mods made. I'd like the car to be a bit louder for starters, but hacking the airbox doesnt appeal to me (yet, anyway lol). ;)
On stock boost control, the Spec V eats the WRX alive down low. With an MBC or EBC, whole new ball game. I love the Spec V, but I wouldn't want to drive one everyday!

-Im

1 - 20 of 22 Posts