ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kind've curious about the new 2005 Legacy GT versus the WRX. It seems like the new GT incorporates all the power of a WRX, but has added luxury to it. All for 2-3K more. Isn't this going to put a dent into '05 WRX sales overall?

Curious on thoughts/viewpoints on this.

·
Registered
441 Posts
They may say 2-3 more but the can once its on the lot with options in 29+ and its heavier. A friends dad got one a couple years back in the limited edition for 29,500.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well, those on this board who have driven the new Tubo legacy have said it is noticeably faster than a stock WRX.

However, those that are really interested in performance, will know that the WRX is a much more tunable platform, having been around for a few years already. And it is a lighter platform.

Additionally, those that are looking for performance off the showroom floor always have the STi which should be able to take the Legacy with no problem.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Its for options I guess. It gives the customer more choices. And while it may impact WRX sales, if at all, it will bring in new customers that will not have even looked at Subaru before. So if it loses anything in WRX sales it should make it up with Legacy sales.

·
Registered
223 Posts
First they are different classes (ya similar engine but taget different people) ie most teen would rather buy a wrx than a legacy.

Second as long as it comes out from Subaru dealer, and the overall sells is the same is ok for them.

third if the wrx sale dent dramatically, they might consider give better packages, ie 17 inch rims

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
DINO said:
First they are different classes (ya similar engine but taget different people) ie most teen would rather buy a wrx than a legacy.
Agreed. You've got the young bucks that want speed and have $25,000 to spend, and then you've got people my age who might want the same speed (or potential for speed) and want a little more refinement. If the GT had been around in April of 2002, I would have given it a hard look, and maybe found a way to secure the funds for the difference in price.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Well I guess I should chime in since I owned a WRX for 2 years then tradded it in for a Legacy GT limited.

First off lets start at the begining. I got my WRX because I thought it was an awesome looking car and had great performance and safety features. Not to mention it was a Subaru so I know it had some reliability in it as well. I got my WRX in spring 2002 for 25,500 out the door with a few options. I loved the car and had lots of fun in it.

After 2 years and numerous auto-x's where I was pretty competitive this year as well as tracking the car. I had done a lot of stuff to my WRX, suspension/power/looks. Not to mention it was in three accidents :( 2 my fault, 1 someone elses. The car was starting to loose its reliability, won't even get into my wheel bearing problem which stranded me in the middle of the Pennsylvania turnpipe on the way to my brothers wedding :(

So I decided now was the time to trade in before it got worse. I looked at the STI and looked at the Legacy GT. In the end I went with the Legacy GT. You can get a regular Legacy GT for about the same price as a WRX. If you get the limited it adds 1500 to the price. I got my Legacy GT for 2800 out the door. So really justa normal Legacy GT is only about 1000 more (not really a deal breaker, close enough that they can be considered just about the same price).

The Legacy GT is an amazing car, it does everything the WRX can and does it better. Its faster, handles better, and rides nicer. Not to mention since they got rid of bug eyes, looks better :) I would put its performance at a WRX who has a stage 1.5 (reflash and uppipe). I raced a friends Stage 2 WRX and he only managed to pull ahead about 1/2 a car. I raced a friends 2005 STI and he got 2 cars ahead, but he had a better launch. So the legacy really has lots of speed, and potential. All of the major tunners (Cobb, TurboXS, Vishnu, Perrin) are already working on parts for it. With a reflash I expect to be faster then a stage 2 wrx, and hopefully give my friends STI a run for his money :) As for handling, this car is much more neutral then the WRX, and with its wider wheel base is really built for the track. The brakes are 1" bigger all around with vented disks in the back. And the inside is so comfortable and the seats still hold you in place.

The only draw back is this, you will be very stealth. People will look at your car and wonder what is that. You won't find people wanting to race you on the street nearly as much. But you can make it noticied if you want, plenty of body kits and other options to make it look very sporty.

So yeah, those are my comments. I loved my WRX and love my Legacy GT. You do feel a bit older in the Legacy GT, but its nice to just cruise in the GT, whereas in the WRX it was all about going fast all the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts