ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats a good starting point for an engine build, what engine code ? Looking to build up another motor for my 09 WRX on the side. Any recommendations on manufactures for internals ?

Just looking for opinions and and for someone to point me in the right direction.

---Joe---

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
What are your power goals, budget, plans etc? Also, why do you want to build a motor? What mods do you currently have done?

·
Banned
664 Posts
ej255 and ej257 are the same besides the OEM pistons so go with either. im not 100% when the nitrated crank came out though, 09+?? everyone is going to tell you their internals so get what you want. i will say Eagle is Manley and Manley is Eagle for the rods. both H beams handle 600bph, the H+ handle 800+bph, and the I beams handle 1000+bph. pistons id get whats cheap (JE, wisco, CP etc) and the new thing is top and side coated so id do that. ACL bearings recommeds the over sized 0.001 when using forged rods and thats all id do unless you want insane power and redline above 7k.

extras you'll need subi gasket kit, gates timing belt and tensioner, killerB oil pick up and windage tray are a good thing, ARP head studs, and again the valve train will matter for what you want for power.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Synolimit - Thanks for the heads up. Ive checked out Manley rods and pistons, ARP studs, and some cams so far..... Is anybody really caming these motors out ? Ill have to look into cranks and see whats going down with those. I just want to build a sick little motor on the side, prob wont get to it til Fall/Winter Still not 100% sure on what kind of turbo Im going to run, but I want a stout, somewhat overkill longblock to take a beating. What about head work ? The usual ?

This is the first time I got on the computer since I posted this, Im going to have to start digging deep for info now.

Thanks again

---Joe---

·
Banned
664 Posts
im never for going at something 110%, so things like head work just take time and money. if i wanted a 7k motor id just drop in some dual valve springs and titanium retainers. above that id do valves and maybe cams. cams though just seem like a lot money and move the powerband. im sure they add power too but im not sure how much. only really build motors is where i see 272 cams. if you wallet can support it, buy whatever you want and do what you want. i do believe in everything you do is a power adder even if its only 1HP. but the price has to be low for me to do it.

o one thing i forgot, i know people like the STI 11mm oil pump too, and i think P&L take it and make it even better. i think they do the water pump to or someone does. instead of being like a fan blade its bigger or more like a turbo wheel where its really close to touching the walls and pushes more coolant faster or something. i dont remember but look for it.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
For the heads I would just do a good port/polish job over cams. Cheaper and will produce close to the same peak results as mild cams with better lower end. You still have not mentioned a power goal for the engine.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
ej255 and ej257 are the same besides the OEM pistons so go with either. im not 100% when the nitrated crank came out though, 09+??
The 257 has different rods as well if I'm not mistaken. And the nitrated crank started in the 08 STIs.

For the heads I would just do a good port/polish job over cams. Cheaper and will produce close to the same peak results as mild cams with better lower end. You still have not mentioned a power goal for the engine.
Why not do both? :)

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Why not do both? :)
$$$$$ and for the most part the OEM AVCS cams do a pretty good job up to about 450 whp. The OP has not stated any goals power wise or vehicle wise. Nor has he stated a working budget. If all you want is a dyno queen and $$$ is no object then the biggest cams you can get would be choice :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im not shooting for any particular horsepower number, I just want it strong. Let the HP numbers be a surprise, not a let down. I want hammer it time and time again with E85, a good Meth Injection, Boost, and blast it with nitrous..... Just dont want to melt down pistons or throw a rod. Id rather the rotating assy be overkill. I want an 11 second driver, period.

Thanks again

---Joe---

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
you don't do e85 with meth injection. And you certainly don't need nitrous to do an 11 second car. It's not a Honduh

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Octane may not matter, but the cooling ability will, plus its somewhat of a back up....

Just want to hear your reasoning.

---Joe---

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
You can, but E85 is an alcohol which is a cool burning fuel. Methanol is also an alcohol, and usually mixed 50/50 with distilled water. The octane of Methanol and E85 is very very close to the same with a slight edge going to methanol. The only advantage of using meth injection with E85 is an even cooler burn which will allow for a little more timing. But, most people nix the use of Meth with E85 because there's even more things that can go wrong, and the gain isn't very large.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
If you're wanting to use race fuel such as c16... then methanol has a huge advantage. It's cooling will make your engine happy.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Read these two threads I just found for you:

Meth + e85 = ? - NASIOC
E85 with water injection? - NASIOC

Both are riddled with falsities, and b.s. but if you sift through them (especially the second) they have some good reasonings as why to avoid the waste of time adding meth to e85.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Im not shooting for any particular horsepower number, I just want it strong. Let the HP numbers be a surprise, not a let down. I want hammer it time and time again with E85, a good Meth Injection, Boost, and blast it with nitrous..... Just dont want to melt down pistons or throw a rod. Id rather the rotating assy be overkill. I want an 11 second driver, period.

Thanks again

---Joe---
You have been watching to much of this:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh I love that movie ! I was actually Vin Diesels stunt double ! They kept telling me to not use the nos because I would blow myself to pieces.... but hey, I told them that I live my life a quarter mile at a time, and in those 10 seconds, OR LESS, nothing else matters.

This isnt my first rodeo cowboy, just my first WRX.

E85 would only be used at the track. I could back up my regular fuel with the Meth injection.

Ill look into the useful information the others gave.

Thanks ---Joe---

1 - 20 of 20 Posts