ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I'm hoping you can enlighten me a little bit. I installed a subwoofer in the trunk of my 05 RS a little while ago and have been trying to stop some rattles. I traced the sound of one of them to this thing in the trunk. It's pretty much a one way air flow box that looks like it leads to the rear bumper or something. The sub causes the flap to rattle quite a bit and I was wondering what it actually is.

My apologies for the pics being sideways.

Anybody have any guesses?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rattles

Bro, Hate to be the bearer of bad news. But unless you dinomat your car, no matter what, you will have rattles. Now, my theory is as long as the music is on, and the extra bass is toned down so its not gangstafied, you should be alright. If you have the cash, take it to a pro sound shop and get them to install dinomat. See if you can make a deal and supply the dinomat by buying it in bulk possibly and just them charging you labor by using your dinomat to save alil cash.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I know that it'll never be rattle free unless I spend the big bucks. I was just trying to get rid of a couple really annoying ones. I can't hear them most of the time, just when I open up the trunk to show people my hard work lol. I just really wanna know what that thing is.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,917 Posts
It could be a breather valve for your gas tank. Although I doubt it would be that big. Most likely it is is just that, a vent. My solution. Duct tape. Also check to make sure your subs have a good seal on the box. For the longest time I thought my sun deck was rattling. As it turns out, one of the holes that was drilled in the box had stripped out breaking the seal between the sub and the box and it was making it sound like my sun deck was rattling.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Need your knowledge !

Hey guys, im new to the forum. I am currently looking at a 2003 subaru wrx with 75,000 miles on the engine. I really like this car mostly because of the price. He is selling it for 7,000 because the clutch slips pretty bad and you have to get the car to literally rock before it will take off in 1st gear, according to him this problem is caused by the flywheel being grinded down to much the last time it was resurfaced which is understandable, but when i test drove it there were no noises coming from the clutch system and the clutch pedal had massive amounts of freeplay in it till it got almost to the floor then it gained pressure. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if this was only a simple clutch adjusment or perhaps a bleeding issue as this would make me happy because i wouldn't have to drop the transmission. Anyone to help me think this through would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thank you Drews :) I taped a paperclip in there to hold it open so that it wouldn't rattle. That seems to do the trick. I just didn't know where it goes.

To WrXLover010

Do not highjack my thread. Go make your own.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Threadjack of the year :rotfl:

And for the record...that car needs a new clutch/flywheel.

·
Registered
206 Posts
the thing in your trunk is actually there to allow the air in the trunk to escape out when you close your trunk lid. and i dont believe the flaps would rattle as they are usually rubber. so maybe its something more. just an idea. take the whole unit out, on both sides and try and find the noise. i think the air from the subs are causing the rubber flaps to flutter.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I have 2 10's and its freaking loud as all hell and I have no trunk left...lol
Yeah I have two JL 10w1v2s in my trunk and they get LOUD. I can only imagine 2 15s of anything...that would be DEEEEEEP bass. It wouldn't sound good IMO cause the response of 15s are rather slow compared to 10s or even a good rigid 12.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts