ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to install struts and springs while my coilovers are rebuilt. I need the fronts as I sold them and only have the OEM rears, one of which is blown. When people talk about top hats, I'm assuming those are the metal round pieces just above the springs? I've heard I can use any 02-07 WRX strut and spring for the fronts. I guess I could use sedan rears, but would have saggy butt, but it'd only be temporary. I've heard 04-07 WRX (and 04 STi) top hats are all the same, so I'd only need the rear '02-03 top hats with those springs. Could I simply reuse my OEM rear springs and tophats with a rear 02-03 strut? I guess I need whatever top hat comes with the front springs I get since I sold mine along with my OEM springs.

Please correct anything that is wrong above.

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
The "Will this suspension part fit my car?" thread. - NASIOC

WRX Wagon, OBS and 2.5 RS Wagon Differences

Struts

Struts are specific to the Wagon. While sedan OEM and aftermarket struts and coilovers will fit, you will lose negative camber.

This can be corrected with camber bolts and/or camber plates.

The only upgraded struts that retain stock camber are KYB GR2s and Koni inserts in gutted Wagon Struts.

Springs

Using sedan springs on a wagon often results in a saggy rear end. Prodrive WRX springs are a notable exception. Wagon specific versions are available from a few manufacturers.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already have camber bolts and Scooby Spacers in the rear with my coilovers. I think they are the same as the Scooby921 spacers mentioned in:
The following OEM and aftermarket struts for 02-03 Impreza can work in 2 ways.
By using 04+ style springs, 04+ style rear strut top mounts, and the Scooby921 strut spacer. Details on why the spacer is needed available here:
02/03/V7 struts not compatible with 04/V8 hats/springs - NASIOC
Thanks for the link desiree. It's been a while since I read that stuff and did all the research on suspension fitament.

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
you're welcome. i am the queen of links. let me know if you need anything else :tongue:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts