ClubWRX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a new 2010 wrx and well i want to do something to it but... the problem is is i still want the warranty. i wanna get a few more horses out of the car but i really want your opinion and your knowledge on things I can do to the car withought asking the dealer or with asking the dealer. I know about the cobb access port but is 500$$$ worth the 20hp gain and bit of torque? Thanks and by the way im just a new member today :)

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
anything that will give you more power can potentially cause warranty issues.

if its something youre worried about, keep the car stock

welcome :)

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
The only way to guarantee that all warranty claims will be paid is to leave it completely stock. Any modifications away from stock have the potential to have a claim denied.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm sure every dealer is different but when i bought mine they where all about the access port cobb tune.They even had a demo car with a stage one flash.When i was questioning the sales manager about all of it being covered under warranty.He said if i take it to another dealer to flash it back to stock but if i brought it there all was covered. As long as they do the mods it was covered.So i would try to find a dealer to do it for you.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I'm sure every dealer is different but when i bought mine they where all about the access port cobb tune.They even had a demo car with a stage one flash.When i was questioning the sales manager about all of it being covered under warranty.He said if i take it to another dealer to flash it back to stock but if i brought it there all was covered. As long as they do the mods it was covered.So i would try to find a dealer to do it for you.
Warranty claims aren't the decision of the sales manager so I'd be weary of what they say.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Op i would go with what these guys are saying.Im sure they know a site more than me.Ive only owned a subaru for 3 days anyways.I just thought i would share my experience.

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well personaly and thank all you for commenting. you can upload the stage 1 whenever you want and if you need to take it to the dealer just un install it this is my point. stuff you can uninstall before bringing to dealer.. like if i had cat back or something it might be a ***** haha. My friend was talking about some sort of tune but im not sure maybe ill have to stick with 20 more hp and thats it.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,217 Posts
He said if i take it to another dealer to flash it back to stock but if i brought it there all was covered. As long as they do the mods it was covered.
Doesn't this amount to "we rip off the other guy and pass the savings on to you" though?

If something is truly in accord with the warranty agreement it should not be a problem anywhere that agreement is recognized. This means a covered part will be covered anywhere in the country by any authorized dealer. Right?

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
agreed but i live in canada and most Subaru dealers will not let a Accessport touch one of there cars. and its not hard to upload and put it too stock. you can do it within seconds. So really what they dont know cant hurt them...

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
If something is truly in accord with the warranty agreement it should not be a problem anywhere that agreement is recognized. This means a covered part will be covered anywhere in the country by any authorized dealer. Right?
There are some dealers that will omit information to SOA on behalf of the customer in order to get an item covered, so it does vary between dealerships if you have modified your car. Some dealers go by the book, some dont.

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jd92677... I see you have a Stage 1 on you Wrx. Do you feel or notice a difference with the extra hp and torque.?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,217 Posts
There are some dealers that will omit information to SOA on behalf of the customer in order to get an item covered, so it does vary between dealerships if you have modified your car. Some dealers go by the book, some dont.
If a dealer ignores "the book" one day to gain an advantage in favour of a customer, what guarantee is there that the same dealer won't ignore the same "book" another day when the customer is harmed rather than helped? If they ignore the rules once they can do it again and there is nothing to say the next time it will be in the customer's favour again. This is basically like trusting a liar to only lie in one direciton -- towards SOA.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
jd92677... I see you have a Stage 1 on you Wrx. Do you feel or notice a difference with the extra hp and torque.?
Absolutely, I had an Accessport when I hit about 3k miles, made a noticeable improvement. Then went to an opensource tune about 6 weeks ago (10k miles) and that was a big improvement over the COBB. Numbers-wise, with no dyno just using COBB's as a base and what the tuner estimated, I'm pushing about 270WHP and 310WTQ. Like I said don't quote the numbers as fact, just an educated estimate.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
If a dealer ignores "the book" one day to gain an advantage in favour of a customer, what guarantee is there that the same dealer won't ignore the same "book" another day when the customer is harmed rather than helped? If they ignore the rules once they can do it again and there is nothing to say the next time it will be in the customer's favour again. This is basically like trusting a liar to only lie in one direciton -- towards SOA.
Agreed. I'm sure it happens both ways but it's easier to sleep at night, I would suppose, to defraud a large company than a customer you see face to face. I would imagine that it overwhelmingly happens in the customer's favor to garner trust and get repeat business.

·
Registered
302 Posts
What wont void the warranty: Keep your vehicle stock.

I imagine there are some loop-holes you could use to get around certain issues such as the COBB stage 1 tune, as long as you return the vehicle back to stock settings and dont let the dealer know about the AP...

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
What wont void the warranty: Keep your vehicle stock
To be guaranteed...yes

I imagine there are some loop-holes you could use to get around certain issues such as the COBB stage 1 tune, as long as you return the vehicle back to stock settings and dont let the dealer know about the AP...
This is true but technically, that's fraud. But I will say it is very common

·
Registered
7 Posts
Agreed. I'm sure it happens both ways but it's easier to sleep at night, I would suppose, to defraud a large company than a customer you see face to face. I would imagine that it overwhelmingly happens in the customer's favor to garner trust and get repeat business.
You hit the nail on the head here! Speaking of repeat business my father had bought 4 cars form this dealership.Two in the last 7 months.A 2010 2.5 legacy gt with a stage 1 and magna flow exhaust (great car by the way),his wife a forester(stock) and my cousin just bought a 2011 wrx sedan with a stage 1,short shifter and spt exaust.My dad has never had any issues with this dealership but then again he has never had any with his cars either.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
A lot of it has to do with the customer and how the tech acts. For me personally it's how the customer acts. If they come in to the dealer and show no signs of maintenance and can't prove it and still gives us attitude or a hard time chances are we're not going to go out of our way to help him. My number one recommendation is be polite at all times and keep receipts of maintenance. If you do your own oil changes keep the receipts, if you rotate your tires log it, stuff like that. The more organized the better.

Now to the good stuff. Everything above applies to getting "tuned" and getting warranty work covered. I had an sti with a broken oil pick up and talked to the customer a few times. He was really cool and his only worry was that it would be covered under warranty. He brought in his receipts and we got him a new short block. I even went as far as getting him a new turbo even though warranty didn't want me to replace it. Same with a 2010 wrx another guy had. Came in with clicking. He diagnosed a viscus and put it in. It ended up being worse so he ordered another viscus and checked measurements and everything was fine. Went on a test drive and still had the noise. The engineer came out with the trans split and still couldn't find any issues. First question he asked was how is the customer. Said he maintained his car through us and was really polite with the situation without his car for a week and a half. He said ok and said throw in a whole new trans for him.

As a dealer we can tell if you're flashed or not even if you put it back to stock. The SSMIII software makes that pretty simple. If we can't tell the engineer has other ways to see it. Depending on the dealer though they might not realize this. In the end it's your choice if you wanna go through with it or not.

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you take the flash off of the wrx there is no way of telling the accesport was ever on it its as easy as downloading and taking it off. how are you gonna see something that says it was never there? Atleast this is what the Cobb website tells me and id believe them before i believe you no offence...

1 - 20 of 172 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.