ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the Cobb SS and the Cobb bushings. I'm getting an extra $1300 and I was wondering if i could get some advice from you awesome people. Reading through this forum it looks like the next step is to buy.

Subaru SS 3" Downpipe

COBB Tuning - Subaru AccessPORT

I already have the SVT exhaust and a low jack installed

Does that sound about right? If so, is there better deals where I can buy these parts together?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Depends on what you're looking for. StageII is a solid choice for more power, but you can also focus on handling or feel instead.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Stage 2 is a great start for power. You may want to start with some swaybars for handling. Good tires will make a big difference. I actually started with a whole new sound system as my first mod.

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
Downpipe, tactrix cable, Torqued Performance Stage II map, and then you should have hundreds of bucks leftover for some suspension upgrades.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am very ignorant, so this question might sound stupid. Is Torqued performance stage 2 software for my access-port from cobb? If you dont mind would you mind explaining what it does. I tried reading about it through google and it made no sense to me. = D

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
I am very ignorant, so this question might sound stupid. Is Torqued performance stage 2 software for my access-port from cobb? If you dont mind would you mind explaining what it does. I tried reading about it through google and it made no sense to me. = D
Not stupid at all as I've just gone through this whole process with TP maps. They do not make it very clear on their website so I ended up asking a ton of questions also.

You have two options.

1) Buy the really expensive Cobb AP (which I did for the Cobb OTS maps originally, and may regret now that I believe the TP map is better), purchase the Torqued Performance maps from their website, load it to AccessTuner Race (download from Cobb Site), then load to the AP, and then flash your ECU with it.

2) If you have a laptop, buy a tactrix cable, get RomRaider, purchase the Torqued Performance map from their website, load it into RomRaider and then flash your ECU with it.

Of course you also need a downpipe for Stage II. For either solution, once you've flashed your ECU, you take the car out and log a third gear pull from 2000 rpm to redline WOT with the parameters they suggest you monitor and email the log back to TP. They'll take a look, make adjustments if needed, and send a revised map if they do need to make adjustments.

It's basically an e-tune that's more specific to your car than Cobb's OTS maps. It's between OTS and a Protune I guess. If you have other questions, let me know.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quick question about choice #1 when you say "buy the torqued performance maps from their website" do you mean buy the Torqued Performance Stage II map from 2012 WRX Stage 1 and Stage 2 and then load it to the accesstuner race- a program from cobb's site to load it to my accessport from cobb? :confused:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
If you are using an accessport then you would need to buy the stage 2 map for the accessport if you plan on running a downpipe (buy the stage 1 if you aren't). If you decide to use a tactrix cable then you would buy the open source map. When you purchase from TP Eric will email you a link to download the maps. The map needs to be opened with a AccessTuner Race and then saved so it will work on your acccesport. You could just use a Cobb OTS stage 2 map, which comes with the AP, but it isn't as good.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
If you go with a open source tune you just need a laptop and the tactrix cable.

A lot of people seem to knock Cobb but they have the best maps out there in my opinion (and many other people). You can save some money by going with the tactrix cable instead of spending $6-700 on an AP. What the AP gets you is ease of installation because even a (poorly) trained monkey can do it in 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome suggestions and advice. This is all starting to make sense now. Another question, when I buy the Cobb access port how much is the stage 2 map cost or does that come with the device? After buying the down-pipe will I need anything else for the stage 2 map? What else if not?

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Awesome suggestions and advice. This is all starting to make sense now. Another question, when I buy the Cobb access port how much is the stage 2 map cost or does that come with the device? After buying the down-pipe will I need anything else for the stage 2 map? What else if not?
You don't pay any additional money to switch maps. You simply go on COBBs site and download it. Once you do that, you transfer it to your Accessport and flash your cars computer.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
For stage 2 you need at least the accessport & a downpipe. If you want a intake or catback, thats up to you.
If he wants a catback that's up to him.

If he wants an intake, that's up to Cobb.

Read the map notes before intalling a part on the car if you are using Cobb. Twice.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
I see. I think though that Cobb has maps that they claim work for specific intakes rather than intakes in general. This should be noted if one is buying parts I'd think.

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
quick question about choice #1 when you say "buy the torqued performance maps from their website" do you mean buy the Torqued Performance Stage II map from 2012 WRX Stage 1 and Stage 2 and then load it to the accesstuner race- a program from cobb's site to load it to my accessport from cobb? :confused:
Yeah here's the deal. If you buy an AP, it comes preloaded with Cobb maps. The TP map would be a separate purchase. If you did buy an AP and then wanted to use the TP map down the road, then your correct in that you would load it into accesstuner race, then save the file, then load it onto your AP via the AP management software that you get with the AP. Yes it's confusing but that's the work around if you wanted that map. If I had to do it all over again I personally would have just bought the tactrix cable, the opensource TP map, and flashed that way. Costs a lot less and at the moment I prefer the TP map I'm using over the Cobb map I had flashed previously. The TP map is a little more aggressive. It's just up to you. Since it seems you are new to the whole thing, your best bet at this point in the game is to shell out the $$ for the Cobb AP and use their maps. They're safe maps and will probably get you the power you want. I've had an AP for my last 3 Subarus and they've never failed. Very simple. It wasn't until just a couple months ago that I started hearing about Torqued Performance. Sorry to make it seem so confusing.

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
I see. I think though that Cobb has maps that they claim work for specific intakes rather than intakes in general. This should be noted if one is buying parts I'd think.
Very good to point this out. OP, the maps that Cobb has available for the AP for intakes are for the OEM intake, the AEM CAI or the Cobb SF Intake. In theory, if you wanted to get an aftermarket intake and use the Cobb maps, you're limited to two brands. Keep that in mind should you choose to buy one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts