ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fellow subie guru's

I keep reading about how the new 2015 WRX can use 87 or 93 octane. So my questions as a soon to be wrx owner are....

What have you guys been using for fuel? (2015 owners) Did you notice a difference driving between 87 and 93?

Will using 87 damage the engine , long term? and which is better for mpg?

I don't mind paying the extra $$$ for 93 , just looking for some advice on keeping the car running smooth :cool:

·
The Jedi Ninja
3,560 Posts
91-93 ONLY!
Our cars only use premium gas.
I only use Shell Vpower 93.
DO NOT USE 87

·
Registered
5 Posts
Follow the owners manual at all times. Never take what you read on the internet as the truth. The owners manual will tell you acceptable fuel type as well as appropriate duration of service. Do not rely on the all to often unreliable information that the web can and will provide.

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
Here are the facts.

Your car will run most any fuel found in the US. However using fuels with a lower knock rating will cause damage from engine knock.

When you use fuels with a lower octane rating the fuel preignites and essentially hammers the piston during compression, this effect can be even more dangerous in a forced induction engine.

Now, if its the zombie apocalypse and the only fuel left is 87 octane and you need to get outta Dodge with a quickness, sure it will do. But never, ever , ever use an octane lower than what the manufacturer recommends unless its an absolute dire emergency

·
Registered
105 Posts
Follow the owners manual at all times. Never take what you read on the internet as the truth. The owners manual will tell you acceptable fuel type as well as appropriate duration of service. Do not rely on the all to often unreliable information that the web can and will provide.
Now thats just silly. Everything you read on the internet must be true, otherwise it could be written!

·
something else forever
3,897 Posts
I only use Shell V-Power 93 and you should ONLY try to use 91 and up... if you get a tune for a specific fuel (say 93 for example) then you should ONLY be using 93 fuel... good luck! :D

·
something else forever
3,897 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
And if for some reason something comes up again like Sandy and you can only put 87/89 in the car or someone accidentally puts it in (since NJ wont let us pump) try to stay out of boost and try to get 91/93 as soon as you can.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And if for some reason something comes up again like Sandy and you can only put 87/89 in the car or someone accidentally puts it in (since NJ wont let us pump) try to stay out of boost and try to get 91/93 as soon as you can.
kk good to know. Yeah i had to get used to that when i moved to NJ, i was so used to getting out of my car and pumping my own gas in Queens lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't mind paying the extra $$$ for 93 , just looking for some advice on keeping the car running smooth :cool:
If you want to keep it running smooth and don't mind paying the extra money, why even consider 87? Just because the engine can tolerate it doesn't mean it's good for the engine. Smooth would be running the best fuel that the car is designed for, and it's definitely designed with 91/93 in mind.

·
something else forever
3,897 Posts
If you want to keep it running smooth and don't mind paying the extra money, why even consider 87? Just because the engine can tolerate it doesn't mean it's good for the engine. Smooth would be running the best fuel that the car is designed for, and it's definitely designed with 91/93 in mind.
this right here...

please just stick to 91 at the very least... fuel is cheaper than fixing an engine... :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use a local convenience store, Sheetz gas. They're pretty big in and around Pennsylvania. I personally use 93 but Subaru's website does say you can use 87. I just wouldn't be pushing the car to hard.

·
something else forever
3,897 Posts
I use a local convenience store, Sheetz gas. They're pretty big in and around Pennsylvania. I personally use 93 but Subaru's website does say you can use 87. I just wouldn't be pushing the car to hard.
it says that?

I'm pretty sure the minimum recommended is 91 but if I'm wrong definitely let me know...

1 - 20 of 90 Posts