ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2009 WRX with TBE. Once i get back to the states from Korea i am looking to upgrading my turbo. So far my plans are to go with a FMIC, FP, Injectors and slightly larger turbo. My goal is to comfortably put down close to 340-350 hp/tq to the wheels without increasing my turbo lag to much. I would also like to have room for 400ish hp in the future. In other words a turbo that can do 350ish with no problem but have room to get close to the 400s.

I have been looking at the Perrin Kits... Anyone know of any other decent kits? or recommend any kits for what i'm looking for? I have been looking around for some time now, and i have a decent idea of what i want, but it never hurts to ask...

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
340whp on one dyno can read 300whp on another. If your goal is dyno #s, contact the shop who is doing the tune and ask them what it takes to make XXXwhp.

·
Registered
270 Posts
How do you feel about swapping the clutch or even upgrading to the 6MT transmission?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you feel about swapping the clutch or even upgrading to the 6MT transmission?
If and when the clutch goes out ill change it, same goes with the tranny. My questions where about the turbo.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If and when the clutch goes out ill change it, same goes with the tranny. My questions where about the turbo.
I ask you that because a lot of people are determined to hit some high whp number until they find out what supporting mods are going to be necessary. If you're willing to break a transmission then a whole world of possibilities opens up.

If 340whp is enough then something like a TD06SL2-20G would get you there. This is honestly as far as I'd recommend going on the factory ECU. If it has to be 400whp I'd say you need something like a GT3076R to do that. ATP has one for stock location but it really wants a 76mm intake and that is a ***** to fit under the manifold. Another good stock-location option is the MD321H.
This is the point where it starts to make sense to go rotated. At this power level your stock longblock isn't going to last long and you really want to be looking at standalone EM. Depends on your budget and how fast you need to be.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm married with two kids, i'm not looking to street race or anything it's just a hobby... i want to do it just because i can. The tranny will be fine, the clutch i'm sure will need replacing a little earlier than normal. I'm not looking to push 400 hp right off the bat, i want room for when i start adding more things in a year or two.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The tranny will be fine, the clutch i'm sure will need replacing a little earlier than normal.
OK, I see where you are coming from. The stock transmission seems good up to the range of 350lbft torque. Some people break them before then, and some people push quite a bit higher without incident. It depends on how you drive the car, but that is the typical range where things break. If your car is a DD then you probably don't want to go to straight gears or a dogbox, so the 6MT is your best choice. There's a lot involved in that swap.
I am at about 325lbft torque and still on the stock clutch, but I don't sidestep the pedal and hardly ever do hard launches. I just want to tell you that there is more to this than choosing a turbo.

As much as I love my Evo16G, it isn't that much bigger than a VF-52 and probably not worth the hassle of swapping it and retuning. I'd probably look at something in the range of TD06SL2-18G for power almost to 20G levels, or perhaps a TD05H-18G if early torque is more important than power holding right to redline. You should get away with those two on the stock transmission as long as you don't launch the car like you stole it. Clutch will likely start slipping immediately though.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts

·
Banned
664 Posts
The stock transmission seems good up to the range of 350lbft torque. Some people break them before then, and some people push quite a bit higher without incident. It depends on how you drive the car, but that is the typical range where things break. If your car is a DD then you probably don't want to go to straight gears or a dogbox, so the 6MT is your best choice. There's a lot involved in that swap..

thats the old trannies. for 2 years i havent seen a 08+ tranny break at 350tq. one guy broke his at 400+ and others have been running 400+ without issue with ACT HDSS's. ive seen 1 or 2 break syncros or something else but thats bad driving not power. my 09 was almost 400tq and had 36k on the stock clutch without issue also. like you said it depends how the car is driven but im sure he'll be fine.

Dom 1.5xtr all the way!!!!!

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I'm married with two kids, i'm not looking to street race or anything it's just a hobby... i want to do it just because i can. The tranny will be fine, the clutch i'm sure will need replacing a little earlier than normal. I'm not looking to push 400 hp right off the bat, i want room for when i start adding more things in a year or two.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Since you've got two kids (as I do), do them a favor and upgrade your brakes and suspension along with that extra power. It's inevitable you're going to use that power and drive it faster than the stock brakes and suspension are designed for which means it won't be a safe car.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the kids in the car i wouldn't try anything dumb. As for suspension, a few things here and there but like i said its a DD... im not tracking it and if i plan on making a turn i slow down turn on my blinker and slowly turn. I'm not adding any weight to the car so the brakes are fine. if i get another car and turn mine in to my fun car i would up the brakes/suspension.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
The question isn't whether you're going to be more careful of the additional speed and correct for it yourself. It matters more if you have to make an emergency maneuver. Since you'll inevitably be driving the car faster, your chances of having to make an emergency maneuver increase.

Plus at the end of the day, don't you won't an overall balanced car? Or do you really just want a drag strip/on-ramp fun car?

·
Registered
270 Posts
thats the old trannies. for 2 years i havent seen a 08+ tranny break at 350tq. one guy broke his at 400+ and others have been running 400+ without issue with ACT HDSS's. ive seen 1 or 2 break syncros or something else but thats bad driving not power. my 09 was almost 400tq and had 36k on the stock clutch without issue also. like you said it depends how the car is driven but im sure he'll be fine.
Thanks for the update. I know the new tranny is 'better', just didn't know it was that much better.

As for suspension, a few things here and there but like i said its a DD... im not tracking it and if i plan on making a turn i slow down turn on my blinker and slowly turn. I'm not adding any weight to the car so the brakes are fine.
The stock brake hardware with proper fluid and pads is okay for flat roads. In the mountains, all bets are off. As to the suspension, well... wait until you have more power at the wheels before making that call. ;)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The question isn't whether you're going to be more careful of the additional speed and correct for it yourself. It matters more if you have to make an emergency maneuver. Since you'll inevitably be driving the car faster, your chances of having to make an emergency maneuver increase.

Plus at the end of the day, don't you won't an overall balanced car? Or do you really just want a drag strip/on-ramp fun car?
I'm sure ill do more stuff as time passes... But for right now an on ramp car is all i want. I think it's hard for some people to understand... i do this for fun that's it. once i do the turbo swap and FMIC i will be putting on a scoopless hood, only i will know what i have and i'm happy with that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
With the kids in the car i wouldn't try anything dumb. As for suspension, a few things here and there but like i said its a DD... im not tracking it and if i plan on making a turn i slow down turn on my blinker and slowly turn. I'm not adding any weight to the car so the brakes are fine. if i get another car and turn mine in to my fun car i would up the brakes/suspension.
Nobody expects that you're going to do something with your kids in the car. The point is not to orphan them.

Getting back on topic. I have a 2008, so I definitely need a new turbo. 5mt already has an Exedy stage 1 in it. Thinking of using the Process West TMIC because it's awesome and allows for other fitments. Car is a DD. I'd like to make greater than 300WHP on pump gas and probably not more than 350. I'm not looking for it to spool super early and would rather the car could pull well to redline. I'd still like smooth power delivery. I don't about drag racing or launches, but the car may be autocrossed or tracked. Thoughts on a turbo? 18g, 20g, Dom 1.5, something from EFR (in my dreams)?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts