ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have an 2017 WRX, currently stage 2 with accessport, intake, downpipe and exhaust. I have heard mixed reviews on what to upgrade next. Intercooler, fuel management system, etc. If anyone could help point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would it affect emissions in Cali? Would I need a pro tune after installation? Thank you for the feed back.

·
11,227 Posts
What you have now will fail any emissions test in the US. So that's hardly a concern.

Yes, you will need to see someone for those deletes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I have read, I would hope it would pass emissions. They do not do the sniffer test or check decals. All they do is plug it in the ecu. And the guy I go to is a little on the shady side. Lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well how it is now will "probably" pass if they just check the ECU depending on if your running catted. Technically any changes to the exhaust system could and should fail you.
Protuners have been known to "cough* tweak the emissions settings so that it might never actually flag the the ECU on failing emissions.

My 2015 WRX has basically every bolt-on possible, and the Socal v3 turbo upgrade, flex fuel. This is on a stock block.
IBR upper and lower TGV delete and EGR delete along with AOS will help the engine stay clean and run much better especially if your going to keep it for a while.

I would say a intercooler upgrade is one of the best for power with a pro-tune. 3 port boost controller is pretty much mandatory as well. That will get you good gains.
if you need any more power Flex fuel or e85 tune is where it's at. if you get a 3 port boost controller and upgraded in tank fuel pump. that's all you need to go e85 on the cheap with a pro-tune. Which will probably give you about an extra 70whp.

Ideally a flex fuel kits will work better. Especially if your ethanol content varies and you want to switch easily between 91 and e85.

Next on the list would be header upgrade. Helps with the turbo spool and power through the whole RPM range.
After that your pretty much going to be limited on power by the stock block.

This is a very useful recommend parts list

·
11,227 Posts
Well how it is now will "probably" pass if they just check the ECU depending on if your running catted. Technically any changes to the exhaust system could and should fail you.
Protuners have been known to "cough* tweak the emissions settings so that it might never actually flag the the ECU on failing emissions.

My 2015 WRX has basically every bolt-on possible, and the Socal v3 turbo upgrade, flex fuel. This is on a stock block.
IBR upper and lower TGV delete and EGR delete along with AOS will help the engine stay clean and run much better especially if your going to keep it for a while.

I would say a intercooler upgrade is one of the best for power with a pro-tune. 3 port boost controller is pretty much mandatory as well. That will get you good gains.
if you need any more power Flex fuel or e85 tune is where it's at. if you get a 3 port boost controller and upgraded in tank fuel pump. that's all you need to go e85 on the cheap with a pro-tune. Which will probably give you about an extra 70whp.

Ideally a flex fuel kits will work better. Especially if your ethanol content varies and you want to switch easily between 91 and e85.

Next on the list would be header upgrade. Helps with the turbo spool and power through the whole RPM range.
After that your pretty much going to be limited on power by the stock block.

This is a very useful recommend parts list
You also need a hpfp capable of handling e85 or several thousand dollar OEM units on hand as the e85 torches them in 4 or 5 thousand miles usually.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been running 99% e85 or e54 for probably 5 years and over 40k miles. Not a single hickup on the high pressure pump and I almost never run regular gas.

If you run some Lucus Ethanol additive in tank and have a good tuner you will be fine. I also run the Lucus fuel injector conditioner ever couple fill ups. I was one of the first people running Cobb flex fuel. I have been running E85 right when it was available before that with separate maps.

That has been with my car making over 360whp the entire time as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Then you are the exception.
Mine might be better than most but the HPFP for the WRX rarely full blown fail. They usually just act up above a certain Ethanol percentage.
i haven't heard of a single person with a failed HPFP that used Lucas Ethanol Conditioner with every fill up, my tuner has almost no failures and done probably over 100 FA20DIT flex fuel tunes. If a tuner is comfortable with it i wouldn't be be worried about the pump on ethanol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts