ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed an uppipe, downpipe, and unichip. I had a catback already, but I'm still only seeing .8 peak on my boost gauge. Normal acceleration in 1st and 2nd hovers at .5, and my car is definitely faster than before.

The question is, is it safe for me at this altitude to get an MBC and try pushing my peak to 1.1 or so? Is there maybe something wrong with my car that I should check out first?

BRANDON

MSEMC indentured servant

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
I'd suggest 1 bar. 1.1bar isn't too bad, but... it might be a bit high. I mean, it's all a gamble. You are reducing the life of your turbo... how much do you want to risk? But, 1 bar, maybe 1.05... meh... tough to say exactly what's best.

Of course, that is peak boost in 4th gear.

·
5,799 Posts
Something that's often overlooked, but just as important (if not more so) than the peak boost value, is the sustained boost level. ie. A stock turbo that sees 17psi for a brief second before shortshifting, will likely last much longer than the same turbo operating at a continuous 15psi peak (for example during an extended high-speed run or even a fourth-gear pull). This is something that Jim @TEC has reiterated to me numerous times and I have examined the catastrophic results first hand in his workshop.

So if you're a canyon carver type or you like to shortshift a lot you can probably run with a slightly higher peak boost setting than if you're doing a lot of drag racing and running it out to readline in every gear, for example. It used to be that we would frequently read on these forums of stock turbos blowing during 140mph 'top speed' passes even at factory boost levels.

-pace

·
Registered
446 Posts
yeah i wouldnt push it past 1 bar....i had my MBC on for ~1 year set at 1 bar ~14.7 psi

but ill warn you....take it off or turn it down when you climb up in elevation to the ski resorts and keep an eye on the boost gauge during the differerrnt weather condition...ie...cold and hot days....the boost will drastically change

1 - 4 of 4 Posts