ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna buy a MiniDV camcorder and have no clue what to look for. Any advice as to what features, numbers, etc I should be looking at would be great. I'm looking to spend $300-$500. Thanks in advance :wiggles:

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sarcasmo said:
I say get one that can be easily hidden in a locker room, sorority, or tanning salon. :D
Hahaha...done...now to find a locker room ;)

I was actually wanting one to take to South Beach...so I'll be sure to take sorority-loocker-room-like shots :tongue:

I found came accross the Canon ZR80 and it seems to be good. It has 18X optical zoom, image stabalizer, and night mode. What more would I want? It costs about $350...not so bad...right?

·
Registered
907 Posts
I speak from personal Experience...the Canon ZR80 is AWSOME!!!!! you really can't go wrong with anything in the canon line.....Stay away from the DVcams that use the mini DVD's though...they are a waste.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well I am an avid amateure film maker (want to go to to film school and hopefully become a director) and my new camera will cost me about $3,000 (after my WRX) and I put ALOT of research into it beforehand, but I doubt you will need to do so as much as I did. The point of me saying that is I have a pretty good knowledge about camcorders. Anyways - the brands I would stick to are Sony, Panasonic and Canon.

You mention the Canon ZR80 and I have only heard good things about them for home video type shootings, and if that is all you are going to be doing (shooting friends, events, ect) then I would say go for it. Or you could spend ~$450 for a littler higher end Sony , but I dont think for your purposes the extra 100 dollars would be worth it.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/f6/ - those forums have alot of usefull advice if you are in the market (under Camcorder Forums ont he left-hand side).

Hope that helps! :wiggles:

-EDITED- for possible missinterpretation

Edited again for grammar/spelling

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! Thanks for the advice you guys. I think I'm gonna go ahead with the ZR80. I did a little more research on it and heard nothing but praises.

Thanks again :wiggles:

·
Registered
907 Posts
cool...good choice.

for general home consumer use you really don't need to go insane with a camera because most of them will give you so close to the same quality its negligable...just price by features...its when you get up into the high end tri ccd cameras like k662 is getting that there are big differences between manufactures.

one thing to note if for some reason you decide to go against the ZR80 and get a camera that is smaller in size....the cameras don't like heat because the CCD when they get warm the quality goes down. thats one rason why i like the ZR80 and bigger cameras...the body acts like a heatsink and keeps the ccd cooler. keeping the camera out of the heat when not using it will give you better over all quality and keep the camera lasting longer.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ALT+F4 said:
one thing to note if for some reason you decide to go against the ZR80 and get a camera that is smaller in size....the cameras don't like heat because the CCD when they get warm the quality goes down. thats one rason why i like the ZR80 and bigger cameras...the body acts like a heatsink and keeps the ccd cooler. keeping the camera out of the heat when not using it will give you better over all quality and keep the camera lasting longer.
That's good info...thanks dude :wiggles:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts