Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone care to recomend one of theese?
And plase let me know why you think I should one over the other ;)

As most I drive mostly on tarmac so lets say I want a good tarmac suspesion (autoX) than allows for a drop during summer and is strong enough to take the beating of small -> medium jumps..

I drive hard most of the time so the suspesions has to take alot of beating over speedbumps, gravel roads and small to medium jumps..

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
None of the above. Coilovers can't be just cranked up or cranked down (well they can be) as you change ride height your also changing camber, as you change camber your changing toe settings. As you change ride height you also impact your corner weights.

Most coilovers also call for a maximum ride height adjust below oem, doesn't sound like what you need.

Sounds like the Tein HG might be more up your alley- oem ride height (+/-), stiffer springs, but not too stiff to hit the gravel and winter road conditions, very ample damping adjustment. They also have very sweet remote reservoirs as well.

This setup sounds a lot closer to
"I drive hard most of the time so the suspesions has to take alot of beating over speedbumps, gravel roads and small to medium jumps.."

Big Sky

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know changing height would also change my alignment. But I want a small drop during summer and I wish for even higher than stock ridehight during winter.

When I rally it's mostly on snow or gravel roads it's not that bumpy, but the suspesion will get beaten so it has to have greate strenght.
I streetrace more than I rally and since i'm, as most here, not made of money the best comprimiss would be a apshalt suspension with gravel capabilities ;)

The HG suspesion looks nice.. I see that on the japaneese website they have alot of other gravel setups, but many of them are really high

Do you know how much ride hight adjustment + - the HG setup allows? And most important how will it run on a asphalt track?

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
The HG allows ~ 1" of ride heght adj +/- oem, should give exact specs at the website. It will be fine on tarmac IMO-spring rates are reasonable and lots of damping adjustment.

I think you'll have better luck w/ a gravel setup on tarmac, than vice versa- spring rates tend to get too high and often the ride height adj isn't enough to get to oem height- even if it is- it's often out of the "sweet spot" of the dampers.

I wouldn't rule out STi struts/springs as an option either- I've tracked and rallyx'd w/ this setup w/ very good luck.

Big Sky

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
OK, it seems what you need is a set of DMS 50's. www.dmsnorthamerica.com

Cost is a lot but it is probably the only one to suit your needs. Should you have $5000 + for a set, you should contact them. The street valved, rally height set-up should be perfect for your needs. Acceptable ride quality for daily driving, good light competition off road use, and a wider range of height adjustment up and down. (talk to them to make sure you get the right springs because based on spring length, you can have an equal range of adjustment up or down, just not as dramatic as if it only went one way)

PS. The TEIN HG's do not allow much adjustment range.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol.. yes but I was looking for a cheeper solution..

As most I drive mostly on tarmac so lets say I want a good tarmac suspesion (autoX) than allows for a drop during summer and is strong enough to take the beating of small -> medium jumps..

As long as I can control the dampning I can use it on gravel as I only drive rally for fun, not professionally..

I spoke to Henning Solberg (WRC Petter's, big brother) and he had a nice suspension for me, but I cost like 15000$ :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Haha, i heard he was trying to unload that suspension on Petter...

well i'm running European STi V8 suspension and it works quite well for off roading, rallyX, jumping, and tarmac. however, there is plenty of compromise as the ride height isnt ideal for heavier off road use and the spring rates are too soft for my tastes. It does offer decent performance at every venue though, but there is no adjustability.

anyhow, there is a suspension on the market that seems to be acceptable, my only concern is the height as its designed to lower the car. Whiteline Group 4 Coilovers are height/ damping adjustable and have a 46mm piston (which is very good) and spring rates of about 275/ 225 lbs which is ideal for rally. As for the height, again you may want to contact them about that and see if they can provide a longer spring for more height. This one runs just under $3000 apparantly. http://www.whiteline.com.au/

PS. Cusco does rally in japan, you can try contacting a cusco distributor who speaks a language you understand (unless you speak japanese) and have them ask cusco japan about it. i know the north american distributors only, they are www.napsusa.com and obviously they speak english.:)

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
I don't know much about the durability, but maybe something like Praxxis may be what you're looking for. It's not exactly cheap though...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MidKnight said:
but maybe something like Praxxis may be what you're looking for. It's not exactly cheap though...
Ihave looked at it, but I want to see some reviews from people that abuse their cars before I get this system. It's brand new and is not used by many yet..

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
well good luck with whatever you decide, your requirements will only leave you with much compromise, unless you shell out the money for the more expensive brands... or simply get 2 sets of something cheaper and swap em out when the seasons change.

its actually quicker and better to do in some cases as cranking a coilover from highest to lowest height takes some time to do and in my opinion is more work. i can swap out all four corners in a little over an hour of working at a normal pace.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SonicYellowWRX said:
or simply get 2 sets of something cheaper and swap em out when the seasons change.
I have tought of this to.. Can anyone recomend a tarmac suspesion that are solid/strong/good to less than 2500$ and I'll buy on of teins many gravel suspesions for winter use later...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts