ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Subaru world and i had a few small mod ideas. I have a 2010 four door. I'm mostly just looking to see what manufacturers would be recommeded for a intake, downpipe, catback, and a short throw shifter. is a short throw a part that i could install on my own or should i take it to a shop to have it installed?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Start here:
First mods

As for manufacturers, there's a lot of different opinions. Let's start with what your budget is for everything.

How hard the shifter is to install depends on your skills and your tools. What else have you done before to cars?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my budget is going to depend on how much of my money the wife spends while im deployed. but im looking to put back around 3000 for the parts and a few other things. as far as the experience i have its fairly limited, i have installed a intake on my civic and a lift for a friends jeep but nothing as far as the drivetrain. although i have friends that are mechanics.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
That's a huge budget for those parts, though it depends what the "few other things" are.

It depends a lot on the exhaust on what kind of sound you're looking for. You should try and find some local owners with different exhausts and hear them in person.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the few other things are like window tint and mostly for the sound system and for a tune after im finished with the few upgrades im looking at. im thinking about the SPT catback system that one of my friends has but im not sure if i were to replace the down pipe if it would change the sound too much.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Changing the DP doesn't change the sound much. The SPT is a great CB. For a DP, Cobb is the best out there, but there's also a few other good ones. I'd just stick with catted as well. A lot of people use Invidia too. A bit less pricey than the Cobb but not quite as good quality.

The AEM intake is what I'd get, though don't expect any big performance increases, just increased sound.

For the tune, either you'll need to go protune or stick with the AEM intake and get a Cobb AP.

Factory Subaru, Kartboy, or Cobb for the shifter. And get bushings too, not just the shifter.

Exhaust parts aren't part of the drivetrain. ;) Swapping exhaust parts is pretty easy. The DP is the hardest part just because of space and what you need to move out of the way to get it out. The rest of it is a piece of cake. A jack and a normal set of sockets and wrenches will do all of it. You'll need a new gasket for the turbo flange to DP connection, but you can reuse the other gaskets. I always replace them but you can get away without doing the last two. And one key step a lot of people don't know about is you MUST retorque the bolts on the turbo/DP connection after driving it for a day. The heat cycling of those parts will make the connection loose.

The shifter is pretty easy too. The bushings are the hardest part of that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry about the delay. well thank you for all the help and the hint about the down pipe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts