ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a year since I've bought my 07 Impreza and I've finally saved up enough money to start adding mods but I don't know what I should do first! I want to start with the less expensive/aesthetic mods so I don't void the my extended warranty on the engine and so I'm left with a little more money to save for the next mod. My options are:

• HID kit
  • OEM factory spoiler
  • Headunit/speakers/amp/sub
  • exhaust
  • tints
  • fog lights w/ HID kit
  • mesh grills
  • painted rims

I just don't know where to start because my car is completely stock -__- Any suggestions or other ideas would be awesome too!

This is what my car looks like now. Nothing has really changed since I drove it off the lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
If it were my car....
1. New rims
2. Tint the windows
3. H.I.D kit
4. Fog light with H.I.D
5. Upgrade the stock audio components
Then the list keeps going haha once you start its hard to stop.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
You say you're worried about the engine warranty, but how do you feel about the turning and braking? Personally, I'd go for turning and stopping before the looks of the car.

Although, the first thing I did was replace the stock stereo, that thing was a piece of junk. Also, if you're worried about better lighting, it's far cheaper, and likely a better/easier option for you if you just install some headlamp bulbs. Look into Osram Nightbreakers.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Seems like you like HIDs...so if you go that route, make sure to research proper retrofitting kits for the lights. You don't want to put a simple HID kit in the stock lamps as they are not designed for it.

I'm 100% with Cody though: change out that head unit. Its horrribrirbriirbbble....and look into suspension upgrades. Considering you have a stock Impreza, you won't net much power out of it, so working on handling and braking will really change your Subaru into a much more fun daily driver.

·
Registered
863 Posts
For a regular Impreza I'd do tint and stereo then be done. IMO, you're better off saving your pennies for a WRX or STI if you want performance.

·
Æternum
20,865 Posts
No offense, but you seem young. Remember that car modifications can be outright expensive, especially if done correctly. If done incorrectly, modifications can be potentially dangerous to yourself and/or others on the road. Unfortunately, correct modifications are typically more expensive than incorrect/dangerous modifications. Take, for example, the HID kit: one can purchase a "botch" HID kit for $100 that simply replaces the halogen bulbs. This is a mod that is incorrect, illegal, and potentially dangerous to yourself/others. The correct modification is to purchase a HID/projector retrofit kit that is DOT approved. Unfortunately, this may run you $600-1000.

My point is that if you are young and potentially do not have the financial reserves to buy quality parts, save your money until you are able to afford the quality parts. I mean no offense by any of this :) /lecture

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think im really in need of a new headunit because a few months ago i blew out a speaker. Everyone is right about it being sh*t, even the Kia i had had a better stock one! I have done research and I know I will need a conversion kit for the HIDs. I like the look of them and I've researched the legal temperatures because the cops out where I live are terribly bored and love to profile and i dont want another pointless ticket to add to my collection. I have connections at a garage that does nice work so i would probably end up getting everything installed there. Im just trying to start small because ive got a longs ways to go until i need a new car. my guy has less then 30k miles and is the first car i actually paid for so hes a keeper for now. I dont really wanna get into handling or anything right now because my warranty covers the entire car except the tires (which i replaced with Falkens because the car still had the original tires on) soooo i think im stuck with risking minor mods and hoping they dont effect anything else under warranty. Dont get me wrong id love to get a suspension upgrade because i do drive offroad sometimes but for now its all cosmetic. Im just a girl trying to learn and start off somewhere!

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Id personally upgrade the brakes I believe your 2.5i runs the same brakes the wrx had in 05 so Id do an H6 rear upgrade, hawk pads and stainless brake lines. Id also lower the car, do some wheels/tires and maybe sway bars.. depending on your funds. However being NA I dont think you will really be to aggressive enough in the corners to justify needing sway bars with stock power level.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
I think im really in need of a new headunit because a few months ago i blew out a speaker. Everyone is right about it being sh*t, even the Kia i had had a better stock one! I have done research and I know I will need a conversion kit for the HIDs. I like the look of them and I've researched the legal temperatures because the cops out where I live are terribly bored and love to profile and i dont want another pointless ticket to add to my collection. I have connections at a garage that does nice work so i would probably end up getting everything installed there. Im just trying to start small because ive got a longs ways to go until i need a new car. my guy has less then 30k miles and is the first car i actually paid for so hes a keeper for now. I dont really wanna get into handling or anything right now because my warranty covers the entire car except the tires (which i replaced with Falkens because the car still had the original tires on) soooo i think im stuck with risking minor mods and hoping they dont effect anything else under warranty. Dont get me wrong id love to get a suspension upgrade because i do drive offroad sometimes but for now its all cosmetic. Im just a girl trying to learn and start off somewhere!
Well, you can never go wrong with making the car more comfortable then, the options you listed above are good places to start. However, I would still suggest maybe some better brake pads, and sway bars. Call up your warranty company, or better yet email them to get a written response, and ask them if anything would be denied if you upgraded the sway bars or struts on the car. Worst they can do is tell you not to do it. Trust me, better brakes and suspension makes it a whole new car.

Should you for sure decide to solely focus on asthetics, go for tint, head unit, speakers, better lighting (I still suggest just better bulbs), and call it good until you're comfortable with performance mods.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am definitely getting better break pads before the winter starts, i've got that all lined up...and i was actually considering getting sway bars because every time i take my car to the dealer for maintenance they tell me my tires are bald, which they were, but along the outer edges. i take my turns too fast and now the tires i bought brand new last month are starting to wear down along the outer edges again. kinda frustrating how much i need to keep up with the maintenance since ive doubled the cars mileage this last year, but i gotta do it and im thinking that sway bars will help the tires last longer...i dont know i could be wrong.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Only proper alignment will help with tire wear
This.

Sways won't do anything for tire wear...it will only help you feel more planted with less body lean when you go into turns. That said, they are a necessity for improving handling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I knew I was wrong -__- so help me out again....does it matter the rating of the tires i put on my car? For example v rated. i heard that most tires that fit imprezas are made to last only 35k miles but i spent the extra money for 65k mile tires that are v rated. but i also heard thats a load of bull sh*t....

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
nadine07 said:
I knew I was wrong -__- so help me out again....does it matter the rating of the tires i put on my car? For example v rated. i heard that most tires that fit imprezas are made to last only 35k miles but i spent the extra money for 65k mile tires that are v rated. but i also heard thats a load of bull sh*t....
That is the speed rating.

In terms of tire wear, what you want to be concerned with is the UTQG; however, that is designated by the manufacturer, so it's not standardized.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
TRS (the retrofit source) actually sells a kit that retrofits your year of impreza properly with HIDs for only 330 bucks... email them and ask about free shipping... they'll do it, and it'll save you 15 bucks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Personally I'd do the stereo first. You get more personal enjoyment out of that than any of the other mods. You actually experience a better sound system where as new rims/tins/lights/body stuff etc just kind of looks cool before you get into the car and maybe one or two more people might notice your car per day, but does that really matter compared to how much you enjoy your stereo?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
TRS (the retrofit source) actually sells a kit that retrofits your year of impreza properly with HIDs for only 330 bucks... email them and ask about free shipping... they'll do it, and it'll save you 15 bucks.
Do NOT do anything HID without following this advice first. That goes for fogs too (which i wouldn't do HID unless you really know lighting and have done tons of research)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think the first thing i need to do is to fight this ticket for not having an inspection extension sticker -___- and the next thing is to buy whatever HIDs fit and some fog lights because I can't even drive in the rain without struggling to see. I seriously keep thinking one of my bulbs are out when they aren't and there are no street lights out here to help see soooooo I don't really mind the head unit for now. Its better to be able to see then hear.

·
Registered
750 Posts
next thing is to buy whatever HIDs fit and some fog lights because I can't even drive in the rain without struggling to see. I seriously keep thinking one of my bulbs are out when they aren't and there are no street lights out here to help see soooooo I don't really mind the head unit for now. Its better to be able to see then hear.
Sorry very long post, but hopefully you find it useful.

Hmm... It sounds like you're thinking of taking a shortcut in doing your HID's :confused:. If you're planning doing a proper retrofit (Meaning replacing the projector housing with one that's designed to focus HID beam as stated by others above) then ignore the rest of my message.

*START*

Shoving a cheap HID bulb and ballast in your stock halogen assembly will not help you see better on a clear night and even worse in the rain.

Let me try to explain why. People who replace their bulbs from filament (Halogen) bulbs with HID's do get brighter light... So it sounds good right? It's common to think that MORE/BRIGHTER light helps you see better. The brighter light will give you an illusion that you can see farther and better. In reality you'll be surprised that the light that it adds actually shorten your vision to the projector cutoff (Where the headlight shines light on the road).

What happens when you put an HID bulb in a halogen projector assembly is the beam pattern always end up concentrated around the cutoff (the headlight horizon line). This can cause glare on incoming traffic. It also gives you a very bright foreground to which can catastrophically limit your vision to the cutoff of the projector. This means you'll have poor vision past where your headlights shines light (which is reality is just a short distance in front of the car).

You should try a simple experiment. Spend a good 10 minutes out on a bright sunny day (no clouds with direct sunlight). Then go run into your bathroom with the light off and shut the door. It should take you a good minute to start seeing anything. This is because your eyes have to adjust between bright and dark scenes. Think of this as the light in front of the car and the dark is past where your headlights shines its light.

What proper HID projectors do is it evenly distributes the light the road and not concentrate the light on the cutoff. So you don't have such an extreme contrast between where the headlights shine and past where it can shine. This means you can see farther than where your headlights can shine its light.

Remember I said that your vision will be even worse in the rain? Now let me explain this. Roads in the rain are usually very glassy. So what ends up happening is that the majority of the light at any one point is actually reflected up. You need an even distribution of light to properly see the road. Since replacing your bulb with HID. Your light is now concentrated on the cutoff. Immediately in front of your car (first 10-25ft) will look like its not illuminated at all. You maybe able to see a little past that point. The majority of the light will be reflected up on oncoming traffic :eek3::eek:. You might as well have your headlights pointed up instead down at the road:nono:.

If you can't quite do a proper retrofit right now. There are many things you can do to improve night time driving vision. If you want to know of alternatives to proper HID's let us know and we'll give suggestions.

Above are cliffnotes of(Highly recommended read :thumbup:):
Thinking of converting to HID?
HID Disadvantages

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I disagree about the tires v. alignment - improper inflation will wear the edges off.

Around here we have to run at least 36 psi or the edges will wear off. Trust me, I have a lot of personal data on this as tires only last 12-15k (even for my wife) here because the car is never going straight. The Subaru dealer service center here sets tires at 40psi ( a bit extreme IMO).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts