ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys what's going on? My car has a few motor upgrades already and I was wondering in which direction do you guys think I should go.

My car is a 2005 WRX engine mods: 2.5liter block, 2.0 heads, cp pistons, eagle rods, sti injectors, sti headers, sti turbo, sti TMIC, cobb short ram ,greedy electronic boost controller, blitz BOV, invidia down pipe, hks carbon ti cat back exhaust.

Suspension: just arrived going to install on Saturday: BC racing BR coilovers, DC front and rear strut bars

I am undecided with going for more power or going for a break upgrade since I am on the stock WRX brake system.

I would really appreciate any input on the subject! :cool:

·
Registered
150 Posts
You call that a few motor upgrades? JK. With more power and faster acceleration you need to be able to decelerate quickly. i would go with some brake upgrades. You can start with some good pads and rotors and then mabye some Stainless steel lines and better fluid.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
You should get endlinks to go with the sways. The stockers are weak and a huge source of flex.

If you're going brakes, look to get an MC brace, stainless brake lines, upgrade brake fluid to Motul or ATE, and upgrade the pads to something like Hawk HPS or Ferrodos. If you need to do rotors too, then go for it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should get endlinks to go with the sways. The stockers are weak and a huge source of flex.

If you're going brakes, look to get an MC brace, stainless brake lines, upgrade brake fluid to Motul or ATE, and upgrade the pads to something like Hawk HPS or Ferrodos. If you need to do rotors too, then go for it.
thanks for the input but i dont have sway bars yet. i wanted to do my brakes before getting into sway bars and end links. right now all i have done to my brakes is hawk pads, but i am really interested in getting the STI stock brembo kit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You call that a few motor upgrades? JK. With more power and faster acceleration you need to be able to decelerate quickly. i would go with some brake upgrades. You can start with some good pads and rotors and then mabye some Stainless steel lines and better fluid.
and yea i have more than a few upgrades but i am basically looking to see what should be my next step

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
thanks for the input but i dont have sway bars yet. i wanted to do my brakes before getting into sway bars and end links. right now all i have done to my brakes is hawk pads, but i am really interested in getting the STI stock brembo kit.
STI Brembos aren't really an upgrade. The 06-07 4/2 pots are actually almost identical to the Brembos only slightly smallerm, cheaper and they say "Subrau" instead of "Brembo." If you're going to upgrade your brakes it's better to do it for performace purposes other than aethetics. If you're looking to upgrade your stopping power, wider wheels with better tires will net you better gains in the XXX-0mph times. If you're going to track often and want to brake hard AND prevent brake fade, go with a BBK.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Oops, I read your post again and realize now that it says STRUT bars...not sways :rotfl:

In that case, now I'd suggest getting sways and endlinks...some of the best bang for your buck suspension and handling mods you could get.

STI Brembos aren't really an upgrade. The 06-07 4/2 pots are actually almost identical to the Brembos only slightly smallerm, cheaper and they say "Subrau" instead of "Brembo." If you're going to upgrade your brakes it's better to do it for performace purposes other than aethetics. If you're looking to upgrade your stopping power, wider wheels with better tires will net you better gains in the XXX-0mph times. If you're going to track often and want to brake hard AND prevent brake fade, go with a BBK.
I agree with this as well. The 4/2 pot set up is very good and really not all that much smaller than STI Brembos. No need to upgrade unless you're into tracking or want the bling factor. Certainly cheaper...I can tell you that from experience. If you have good pads, then as I suggested, stainless lines, Master Cylinder Brace, and a fluid exchange would do wonders for improving your brake feel/reaction.

Hell you have the engine built decently right now....any plans for a turbo upgrade? You're all but ready for an 18G or 20G or something comparable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Interesting I didn't realize the 4/2 pots where that efective. And yes I def have a turbo upgrade in mind. I am inbetween the FP greem and DOM3. I am also going to do my endlinks and sway bars but I wanted to do brakes or turbo first, mainly because I can't afford all 3.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
How are you keeping the CR down on your block? Thicker headgasket or headwork?

DOHBOYWRX said:
Interesting I didn't realize the 4/2 pots where that efective. And yes I def have a turbo upgrade in mind. I am inbetween the FP greem and DOM3. I am also going to do my endlinks and sway bars but I wanted to do brakes or turbo first, mainly because I can't afford all 3.
How often do you get to the point where brake fade is an issue? If never, caliper upgrades are strictly a "bling" factor, and will cause brake parts to be unnecessarily more expensive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a thicker headgasket.

and i want to thank everyone for their imput. i just went and ordered the stop tech stage 2 brake kit, wich comes with S/S brake lines, hawk brake pads, stop tech slotted rotors and 3 bottles of motu; rbf600 brake fluid

any one know what front and rear strut bars are worth looking at?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
DOHBOYWRX said:
i just went and ordered the stop tech stage 2 brake kit, wich comes with S/S brake lines, hawk brake pads, stop tech slotted rotors and 3 bottles of motu; rbf600 brake fluid
StopTech has a package that doesn't include their street pads?

DOHBOYWRX said:
any one know what front and rear strut bars are worth looking at?
Sedan: None
Wagon: Whiteline Quick-Release

1 - 12 of 12 Posts