ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread. I was wondering what is the best short shifter for a 2011 WRX? I was looking at the kartboy but I was reading the reviews and people are saying the kartboy doesnt shorten the actaul length of the shifter. I know it seems cosmetic but I like having a shorter shifter:D

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Do you want to spend your money on a product that works? Kartboy then

Do you want to waste your money on a product that "looks good"? ebay junk then

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you want to spend your money on a product that works? Kartboy then

Do you want to waste your money on a product that "looks good"? ebay junk then

Does the shifter sit low?

If not is there another one that sits low and is quality ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
can't go wrong with Kartboy or Cobb. The Cobb is adjustable
I am currently running the Cobb and like it alot. There was a bit of adjustments to get it just how I wanted though, just trial and error.
There is also a twm shifter. I haven't heard alot about them but i think they are pretty good. I'm sure you can search around here and find reviews on all 3

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanksfulchubby- I was wondering if you could run the Cobb SS and Kartboy Bushings together? If so I am just going to do that.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
Consider contacting both and asking directly. The responses might speak volumes - both companies have made some money from Subaru owners do both should want to help. Couldn't hurt; just a thought.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the kartboy f/r bushings on my car along with the Cobb sts. Though those bushings don't connect to the shifter directly.
The best thing i can say for you to do, though, is search for each company, read reviews of their shifters and take in peoples experiences with them and decide on what you want. That is what i did. I landed on the Cobb mainly because it is adjustable so I could get it how i want.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it doesnt connect directly how did you get it to work. Do you like how yours performs

If you could do it again would you get the same setup?

·
Registered
12 Posts
f/r bushings connect under the car. I don't know the term of the part, but it basically connects the shifter to the transmission. Someone else can be more technical, sorry i can't be much more help with that part.
Here is a video i found of installation of f/r bushings.... 2010 Subaru STi Kartboy shifter bushings install - YouTube
It will give you an idea atleast of what is involved and where they are.
I like the setup alot. The bushings helped with side to side play and just shifting in general. the sts also helped a bit in those same things it seemed like.
Yes, i would get the same setup. I like being able to go in and adjust something if i want/need to. You can't go wrong with kartboy, twm, or cobb. It's really just preference.
For reference this is a pic of how i had the Cobb installed at first, with everything on the lowest adjustability...

380347_573612081775_214400479_31481448_1741957126_n.jpg

I will get a better picture of it adjusted. It sits higher, but not a whole lot higher.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
I was looking at the kartboy but I was reading the reviews and people are saying the kartboy doesnt shorten the actaul length of the shifter. I know it seems cosmetic but I like having a shorter shifter:D

The Karyboy SS shortens the shift by shortening the shift lever, not the linkage, so those reviews were bogus. And yes, it does sit lower.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
The Karyboy SS shortens the shift by shortening the shift lever, not the linkage, so those reviews were bogus. And yes, it does sit lower.
+1 to MainFrame

You may have been reading the review of the Subaru SS - which reduces linkage length and not lever length.

For what it is worth, I had the Subaru short throw and added in the Kartboy lever and bushings. One of my favorite mods for sure. Especially for the cash. Couldn't go back to a stock slush box.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
+1 to MainFrame

You may have been reading the review of the Subaru SS - which reduces linkage length and not lever length.

For what it is worth, I had the Subaru short throw and added in the Kartboy lever and bushings. One of my favorite mods for sure. Especially for the cash. Couldn't go back to a stock slush box.
Just spoke with my subaru tunner/mechanic and he advised me not to put a short shifter in the car because it will ruin the transmission over time. He said to changed the bushings not the shifter. Anyone ever heard this?

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Just spoke with my subaru tunner/mechanic and he advised me not to put a short shifter in the car because it will ruin the transmission over time. He said to changed the bushings not the shifter. Anyone ever heard this?
That makes no sense to me...all its doing is shortening your throw, you still have the linkage and everything else that ultimately connects to your transmission.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thats complete BS. There are lots of discussions on this type of stuff. Use google to research your questions. Most of the time you'll find your answer 5 times over (I do).

I have a Cobb STS with Cobb front and rear bushings. Its great. Kartboy is good too, but I like the adjustability of the Cobb.

BTW, short shifters reduce the throw length primarily by changing the geometry of the shift arm, not just lowering the shift knob (though that helps too). Don't bother with the factory short shifter. The aftermarket versions are far better and cheaper!

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
False. A short throw shift just shortens the throw needed to move the stock linkage to the selected gear, thus "Short throw shifter". You are doing nothing to modify the transmission itself, and aren't doing anything to hurt it either, as long as you are using the standard best practices of driving a stick, such as not keeping your hand on the shifter all the time, rev-match, don't grind the gears, etc.

Edit: as far as brands, I have Kartboy bushings and the Cobb shifter. I think you're confused about what parts in the shifter assembly actually fit together. Go to Cobb's website and look at the installation gauges for the shifter and bushings. All your questions can be answered easily with just some simple searching...

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts

:confused1 I would look for a new tunner/mechanic, because this guy doesn't seem to know what he's talking about.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts