Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my car for one day and put a 100 miles on it. I like cruising around 2 to 3 thousand rpms.. I don't like bogging the engine but in my neighborhood I'm only going around 15 to 20 mph and 1st gear is awful and 2nd feels like I'm way to low in rpms.. any advice or your expireneces would be awesome

·
Registered
386 Posts
Ya 1st is very short. I'm normally in 2nd at those speeds.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
I am in 2nd until 20mph where I shift to third. Why do you think 15-20 in 2nd is way low? Unless you need power, level street cruising at 2000rpm or even 1500rpm is fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not the speed I was worried about but the rpms dropping below 1800 it seems a little laggy. I was driving today and wasn't bad.. when I was going 15 mph in 2nd the rpms were a little low but still had power when I needed to get on the throttle

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Why do you need to get on the throttle in a neighborhood? Go the speed limit and then accelerate after you pass the speed limit sign for the change in mph. You don't need to be in constant turbo spool.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah that's how I see it. I'm still breaking in the engine.. I have 200 miles on it. I was just worried about hurting the engine going real low rpms. Right now I'm only getting 20.5 mpg.. do u cruise lower than 2500 rpms? I want to save some gas

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
Cruising sanely at 2k rpm or a little less is fine. As long as you are not sitting there lugging it you wont have to worry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
683 Posts
Why do you need to get on the throttle in a neighborhood? Go the speed limit and then accelerate after you pass the speed limit sign for the change in mph. You don't need to be in constant turbo spool.
You totally missed the point of the OP.
He is asking about RPM and worried about lugging it.
He mentioned nothing about speeding through neighborhoods.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You totally missed the point of the OP.
He is asking about RPM and worried about lugging it.
He mentioned nothing about speeding through neighborhoods.
I was hoping someone would catch that too. I just keep it in second now and sometimes I go down to 1200 rpms and it doesn't seem bad, better than shifting back to first.. anyone else do this?

·
Registered
683 Posts
I try to stay above 2000 RPM, in any gear. I too fear lugging it.
Before I knew better, I used to lug my Carolla up hills, to see if it could do it. I believe that may have been the cause of the shafts between engine and transaxle (or whatever it was called) getting ruined.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I try to stay above 2000 RPM, in any gear. I too fear lugging it.
Before I knew better, I used to lug my Carolla up hills, to see if it could do it. I believe that may have been the cause of the shafts between engine and transaxle (or whatever it was called) getting ruined.

I sometimes do 1500 rpms in 2nd gear in my neighborhood going around turns cause I don't like shifting into 1st.. doesn't feel like it's lugging to me. I'm thinking low rpms are OK if ur not consistently driving in them

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
I try to stay above 5500 want the neighbors to enjoy the tune of my exhaust.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
Cruising sanely at 2k rpm or a little less is fine. As long as you are not sitting there lugging it you wont have to worry.
Agree. I've cruised my 20mph neighborhood in 2nd with my last 3 Subaru's; you get used to a car's power modulation, and it's no big deal.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I sometimes do 1500 rpms in 2nd gear in my neighborhood going around turns cause I don't like shifting into 1st.. doesn't feel like it's lugging to me. I'm thinking low rpms are OK if ur not consistently driving in them
I don't disagree. I don't always stay above 2000. This car seems to have more torque, down there and can take it. Like I said, I'm a bit gun shy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts