Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you fancy mod people want to merge this with the old "What Oil Should I Use" Thread then be my guest.

Here is an article by Jalopnik detailing a study performed by blackstone questioning whether or not buying expensive oil is worth the cost. There are some interesting results and they used the Ej25 platform as one of their points of interest for their data since they had so much of it.

Essentially Brotella appears to hold up the best and is one of the cheaper options. With Royal Purple and Mobile 1 leading the pack when it comes to the highest wear rate. But, Blackstone ultimately concluded that wear rate doesn't seem to be largely too different between all brands. Further concluding that no one oil brand seems to have the lowest metal contents across the board.

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2<\/title><path d="M10,3.5l3-3,3,3Z" style="fill:%23fff;stroke:%23fff"/><path d="M0,3.5H10l3-3,3,3H26" style="fill:none;stroke:%231b3a4d"/><\/svg>')}.f_branding_on.blog-group-deadspin .editor-inner.post-content .pu

·
Registered
277 Posts
Turns out having oil and changing it as regular intervals is more important than brand !

·
Registered
67 Posts
That squares with my experience. When I was racing, my engine builder's instructions were: "The oil doesn't matter. Use whatever you can hustle for free." He had dynoed pretty much everything.

That said, I did run Red Line synthetic because I found that it produced less ash residue on the back side of the exhaust valves. I don't think that is a good thing for flow, but I am not hampered by any data. It also may not be relevant to street car engines because I freshened the valves after every 90 minutes or so of track time. So (a) the buildup in a street car is certainly going to reach a limit and (b) such subtleties are IMO a waste of time on a street car anyway.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,723 Posts
I have switched to Motul because:

I will no longer go to Walmart in non-life-and-death situations

I will never buy any Amsoil product because their marketing is nauseating and every other client/user is a de facto shill

Motul is produced in the EU

Motul is labeled correctly in several official languages, including the most significant language

If I'm pressed for cash I'll fall back on Rotella or anything though frankly. I'd rather have Jeff ship the stuff to my doorstep though -- he sells all kinds of oils and usually there are several on sale.

·
Banned
289 Posts
I have switched to Motul because:

I will no longer go to Walmart in non-life-and-death situations

I will never buy any Amsoil product because their marketing is nauseating and every other client/user is a de facto shill

Motul is produced in the EU

Motul is labeled correctly in several official languages, including the most significant language

If I'm pressed for cash I'll fall back on Rotella or anything though frankly. I'd rather have Jeff ship the stuff to my doorstep though -- he sells all kinds of oils and usually there are several on sale.
I'm with you. I'll never ever use Amsoil purely because its a multi media marketing pyramid scheme piece of ****

·
19,723 Posts
Agreed MotoSteve. Let's stay off the swear filter limiter though for our younger members that may fall prey to Amsoil otherwise... Heh...

·
Registered
404 Posts
The oil quality seems to depend a good bit on the filter. Visually, in the only manner I can perceive. I use the K&N oil filter. Their "oiled" air filter is gimmicky and likely to damage maf sensors. But their oil filter is top notch. A visually noticeable difference in oil color over 3-4k miles for change comparisons. I've used Subaru's, Mobil 1's, and the K&N. At 3k with the M1 and Subaru filters, the oil is literally black. With the K&N the oil is definitely darker, but still has a dark golden honey color.

Both oils were honey colored with a little residual darker oil on the edges within 50 miles of the change, likely from the change itself.

The oil used is Mobile 1 (once) with Mobile 5w30 oil. The Subaru and K&N filters were used with Castrol Edge Syntec 5w30.

The only other thing I ascertained from this very non-scientific observation was that engine temperatures with Castrol were 3-5* F cooler than the Mobil 1 under load. Probably not significant, given a likely margin of error. However, the temps reported were consistent with each type of oil.

Again, completely non-scientific but still interesting.

·
Banned
289 Posts
The oil quality seems to depend a good bit on the filter. Visually, in the only manner I can perceive. I use the K&N oil filter. Their "oiled" air filter is gimmicky and likely to damage maf sensors. But their oil filter is top notch. A visually noticeable difference in oil color over 3-4k miles for change comparisons. I've used Subaru's, Mobil 1's, and the K&N. At 3k with the M1 and Subaru filters, the oil is literally black. With the K&N the oil is definitely darker, but still has a dark golden honey color.

Both oils were honey colored with a little residual darker oil on the edges within 50 miles of the change, likely from the change itself.

The oil used is Mobile 1 (once) with Mobile 5w30 oil. The Subaru and K&N filters were used with Castrol Edge Syntec 5w30.

The only other thing I ascertained from this very non-scientific observation was that engine temperatures with Castrol were 3-5* F cooler than the Mobil 1 under load. Probably not significant, given a likely margin of error. However, the temps reported were consistent with each type of oil.

Again, completely non-scientific but still interesting.
Food for thought, k&n oil filters are largely banned in amatuer motorcycle road racing circuits because they are known to explode or fly off the threads during heavy use.

Could be completely irrelevant, just food for thought

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
...I will no longer go to Walmart in non-life-and-death situations...

My mother is like this. But my wife lives at wal-mart. I am in the middle. Sam Walton was one of my idols. But for certain the company, post-sam, has taken a 177.5º turn from its roots.
I used to blame the company for switching to all imported goods, but have since realized that this was driven by the American consumer MUCH more so than the wal-mart company.
If I despised wal-mart I'd also have to despise all American consumers.

·
19,723 Posts
That's probably easier to accomplish than one might think. The folks at peopleofwalmart.com have been performing a public service for many years.

Speaking of "many years:" I'm off the burgers, years now. That also means I'm off the buns (heh, I wrote "buns"). I now drink less than 1 litre of soft drinks a week (usually less than 500ml).

Since I do try to assimilate into US society, I do purchase ammunition, but there are other stores that sell it at competitive prices to Walmart in my area.

Motor oil and such I just order from Jeff.

Jeans I get from the boys who are guests of the Great State of Oregon (Prison Blues). Shirts/trousers/suits I'll prefer things made in the EU and US, and I can just order stuff. Ditto shoes.

There isn't much I'd need at Walmart that I could not find elsewhere, so I no longer grace them with my presence. It's a real shame too, because I'm awesome.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I used to blame the company for switching to all imported goods, but have since realized that this was driven by the American consumer MUCH more so than the wal-mart company.
Ding ding ding! I always hated the fact that the same people crying about outsourcing and "not buying American" etc. were usually the same people who'd wind up shopping at Wal-Mart because they could save two bucks on a pack of socks. Lol.

Back on topic (sort of), my buddy used to have an Evo that burned oil so fast, he never changed it - he'd just add a quart every few weeks. In his words, "the oil is never more than a couple months old..." :rotfl:

·
19,723 Posts
I've extended oil changes indefinitely due to high consumption too. It's logical but unnerving. It was a 20R motor. I'd change the filter once in a while for years.

Do we need to worry about you?
Never worry, life's too short and you might give yourself wrinkles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts