Subaru WRX Forum banner

What motor will hold the most power on the stock shortblock?

• ej257

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • 4g63

Votes: 23 74.2%
  • too close to call

Votes: 3 9.7%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What motor (evo 4g63 vs. sti ej257) will prove to hold more power on the stock shortblock. Also, please back up your answer with facts or reasoning. I have also posted this over at evolutionm. It will be interesting to see the outcomes from two conflicting perspectives.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one has an opinion they'd like to share?:)

Guess I'll be the first... on race gas I'd give the edge to the 4g63, but just barely. I think both will support around 450 whp.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
i've heard of a ton of 4g63's that blow headgaskets and a couple parts after boosting the power a little

but if you want the most power stock... try just about any toyota engine :p

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
The 4g63 is a proven winner for performance and power... The EJ257 is a new design for subaru and only available here in the United States. Its too early to tell, but I would put money on the 'all mighty' 4g63 :)

-Mike

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
4g63 = proven
ej257 = unproven, though looks like could be a winner over time...

I love my Subie, but the 4g has such a good reputation!;)

·
Banned
968 Posts
On stock internals?

4g63.

Build both of them up and it is quite close. To early to tell.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Timdog1650 said:
I missed the part where anyone card about Nissan's in this poll.....:rolleyes:
LOL, I like how you ripped on the nissan, but ignored the guy that said "2JZ."

Also, I know the RBs and 2JZ motors are built quite stout from the factory, but I pretty much promise you there is no 1100hp RB motor running stock pistons and rods.

Back to the topic, can we give the theoretical 4G a head gasket and some ARP studs? That makes it an easier choice.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CKxx said:

Back to the topic, can we give the theoretical 4G a head gasket and some ARP studs? That makes it an easier choice.
Yes, as the question was stock "shortblock". (fyi, it seems the 4g63 is stretching head bolts at anything over 350 whp. This process is slow, but eventually it will cause the gasket to blow out. With some arp head studs, 500 whp is very realistic, as we have a few at evolutionm dynoing at or above this number)

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Timdog1650 said:
I missed the part where anyone card about Nissan's in this poll.....:rolleyes:
well he did say "most power on the stock block"

Also, I know the RBs and 2JZ motors are built quite stout from the factory, but I pretty much promise you there is no 1100hp RB motor running stock pistons and rods.
well maybe not 1100hp, maybe more like 700-800hp... now those i am positive exist

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
bluevilevo8 said:
Yes, as the question was stock "shortblock". (fyi, it seems the 4g63 is stretching head bolts at anything over 350 whp. This process is slow, but eventually it will cause the gasket to blow out. With some arp head studs, 500 whp is very realistic, as we have a few at evolutionm dynoing at or above this number)
I know my 4gs...I used to hang out w/a whole crowd of DSM people. Also, are you familiar with racerX? Their owner was putting together what legitamatly could have been the fastest EVO at least years shootout, but their was a clutch issue.

EvilCerealBoX said:
well maybe not 1100hp, maybe more like 700-800hp... now those i am positive exist
I can agree to that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CKxx said:
I know my 4gs...I used to hang out w/a whole crowd of DSM people. Also, are you familiar with racerX? Their owner was putting together what legitamatly could have been the fastest EVO at least years shootout, but their was a clutch issue.

I'm not familiar with them, as I only entered the dsm scene late last month :) . Previously being the owner of a 2002 camaro ss, 67 chevelle SS 396, 97 mustang cobra, and a 93 z-28, I decided it was time to try something new. So far I have zero regrets.

BTW, didn't Al lose in the final round at the shootout to a much slower car? I can't recall what happened off the top of my head. Also, for those of you who are familiar with Al, his vendor status on evom was revoked.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
Are we talking about Alfrediesq, or whatever? That guy is some kinda crap talker.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
bluevilevo8 said:
BTW, didn't Al lose in the final round at the shootout to a much slower car? I can't recall what happened off the top of my head. Also, for those of you who are familiar with Al, his vendor status on evom was revoked.
Unfortunatly, I do know who you mean. I think I recall somthing like that happening, but I dont recall the specifics.

The car I was talking about had Intake, I/C hardpipes, BOV, 20G compressor, buscher DP and exhaust, Safc, and ACT 2600lb clutch w/in about a week of the EVOs release...it was pretty sick at the time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts