ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a base 2020 wrx. It is a lease so I can’t tune it but I have already muffler deleted it. What are some mods I should do that don’t require the car to be tuned

·
Æternum
20,335 Posts
Tires. Most important of all.

Suspension, Braking.

Are you certain even these mods are allowable by your lease contract?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tires. Most important of all.

Suspension, Braking.

Are you certain even these mods are allowable by your lease contract?
I am planning on getting 18in Avid 1 Av06 rims. Would lowering springs be a good option for suspension or would I need to get coilovers which are kinda outta the price range rn. Also what brake upgrade would be best
And yes anything reversible is allowed in the lease contract

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am planning on getting 18in Avid 1 Av06 rims. Would lowering springs be a good option for suspension or would I need to get coilovers which are kinda outta the price range rn. Also what brake upgrade would be best
And yes anything reversible is allowed in the lease contract
Also looking for simple aesthetic mods that will make the car more aggressive. Obviously the main ones are spoiler, front lip, etc. but anything unique y’all have in mind

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
Not fiddling with a lease would be the best option, since that seems to be out the window now. Lowering springs may need struts to match, I'm not familiar with the 2020 suspension enough to say that the struts will still perform well on lowering springs.

You are correct Coilovers that are as good as your suspension right now are likely way out of your price range. 2000+ minimum.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,826 Posts
I’m stuck trying to comprehend modifying somebody else’s car at your expense then one day having to fix it at your expense also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not fiddling with a lease would be the best option, since that seems to be out the window now. Lowering springs may need struts to match, I'm not familiar with the 2020 suspension enough to say that the struts will still perform well on lowering springs.

You are correct Coilovers that are as good as your suspension right now are likely way out of your price range. 2000+ minimum.
So let’s say I go with lowering springs and keep the struts what Negative affect would that have on the car

·
Æternum
20,335 Posts
I like to have fun AND save money!

The dampers on the VA cars are quite high quality from what I understand, but even they are intended to work with a range of spring rates. Matching spring rates and strut damping is the difficult task here. Companies like Turn-In Concepts and Racecomp Engineering have EXTENSIVE experience in setting up car suspension particularly with Subarus. It might be worth giving either of those two businesses a call.

It is also my experience that many coilover brands do not adequately R&D their suspensions, so many coilovers have springs and dampers that are NOT matched! They expect that the general public will want to save money and not know how to identify the faults of their "engineering." There are exceptions to this rule, but you will need to spend $1500 or more to realize a good Coilover set.

Check these out:

I believe they spec these for OEM struts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like to have fun AND save money!

The dampers on the VA cars are quite high quality from what I understand, but even they are intended to work with a range of spring rates. Matching spring rates and strut damping is the difficult task here. Companies like Turn-In Concepts and Racecomp Engineering have EXTENSIVE experience in setting up car suspension particularly with Subarus. It might be worth giving either of those two businesses a call.

It is also my experience that many coilover brands do not adequately R&D their suspensions, so many coilovers have springs and dampers that are NOT matched! They expect that the general public will want to save money and not know how to identify the faults of their "engineering." There are exceptions to this rule, but you will need to spend $1500 or more to realize a good Coilover set.

Check these out:

I believe they spec these for OEM struts.
Thanks man really appreciate it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts