ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well my 2004 wrx is having its motor pulled out, and a new front end will be welded on, anyway my question is this, anyone could recomend a brand of spark plugs to be changed to, and any other mods that wont cost me over 400 to go for now because im on a budget at the momen and just wanted to take advantage of the oppertunity to do a mod or two with easy accecability. Its got aftermarket crank shaft pulley, new timing belt, cusco strut bar, sqv blow off valve, im going to buy cold air intake now, and front mouny intdercooler later any suggestions? Tips?

167.jpg

·
6,501 Posts
NGK plugs will be fine. Only mod I can suggest is an ECU retune since you want a CAI and FMIC. FYI- There is money better spent than those two mods with the stock turbo. Like a turbo back exhaust.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i haven't had a chance to glance underneath the girl but its got a exhaust system of some sort, its very nice sounding. but do you have any clue what that might rune me? and is a cobb tunning accessport worth the money, i found one near me for 375, and haven't seen them any cheaper.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the motor mounts i was told that they have already been switched, the priveouse owner was investing alot of money into the car, too bad i cant take a peek inside the motor and find out what he changed there, but then again i wouldn't even know what to look for.
the car is at 68k miles right now, but i had to change the timing belt covers, timing belt, and one of the cam shaft pullys. i should of bough the water pump and changed it, but i have a feeling i either wont have this car or i will be taking it apart to do some motor mods

·
Æternum
19,748 Posts
A FMIC would prove a very poor choice at your current level of modification, as would the VTA BOV and CAI.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the thing is i dont know even know what the car is running, i dont know all the obriviations but if FMIC stands for front mount inter cooler then why would i need to upgrade that if the car is running stock boost?

·
Æternum
19,748 Posts
the thing is i dont know even know what the car is running, i dont know all the obriviations but if FMIC stands for front mount inter cooler then why would i need to upgrade that if the car is running stock boost?
I'm saying that you shouldn't upgrade the intercooler if you are running stock boost. The stock TMIC is intended for stock applications. The FMIC (especially without a tune) will only harm your performance.

so you are trying to tell me with this link that BOV are bad?
It certainly is not beneficial.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ZAX thanks i get what your saying, but the front mount intercool is going to come later when i get more money to spend on mods, and then get the front mount in there and then finally tune it. but the Cobb accesport is that a good tuner for its money or is it better to just go get it tuned at a perfomance shop.

·
Æternum
19,748 Posts
ZAX thanks i get what your saying, but the front mount intercool is going to come later when i get more money to spend on mods, and then get the front mount in there and then finally tune it. but the Cobb accesport is that a good tuner for its money or is it better to just go get it tuned at a perfomance shop.
Money is best spent on a Tactrix cable and a pro-tune. Talk to your tuner to ensure that he/she supports an Open-source tune. If you don't have a 3" turbo-back exhaust and uppipe, you should do these mods before getting tuned.

As for the FMIC: you will need to upgrade your transmission, engine internals, and differentials long before the FMIC becomes a worthwhile modification. It should't even be on your list of future mods at this point.

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
You have to remember these cars are not Honda's, just throwing a mod on isn't always the best thing to do. Anything you do to it will need to be carefully considered and tuned accordingly.

Lots of people find the Cobb AP is great for normal mods. Anything above Stage 2 would definitely need a pro-tune.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the information, any other adivice or tips on what type of mods would get me to the 350hp range and its also going to be my daily driver/commuter. and also that i wouldn't have to sell my arm and a leg to get it there

·
Æternum
19,748 Posts
Thanks for the information, any other adivice or tips on what type of mods would get me to the 350hp range and its also going to be my daily driver/commuter. and also that i wouldn't have to sell my arm and a leg to get it there
350 to the wheels or at the crank? There's a big difference.

If 350 chp (approx. 280whp), this can be achieved by a VF39, tune, large TMIC, TBE, fuel pump, and injectors. You can do all of this for about $3K-5K. Not bad.

If 350 whp (approx. 440 chp), you'll have to sell your arm and leg. You'll likely need the following:
1. Everything listed above (with a larger turbo) -- $5K
2. Re-worked transmission -- $4K
3. Rebuilt motor (best built with a 2.5L block) -- $5K

So that will cost approx. $15,000. You'll also need braking modifications and suspension modifications to handle the added power.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts