ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if u guys know what add on's u can put on the new sti's and still keep your warente?

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
floormats, airfresheners, window tint

honestly, if you are worried about your warranty, dont modify your car. not saying that mods XYZ will void it, but it could cause a claim to be denied.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I suggest reading up on the Magnuson-Moss Act. The short of it is that the dealership can deny your warranty if they can prove that your mods caused something to fail.

For example, if you put an after market stereo in your car and the alternator fries, they can cite that excessive current draw caused your alternator to fail, and you'd be paying for the alternator out of pocket. Going further, if you reprogram the ECU and blow the engine, they can deny your warranty claim saying that your overly aggressive tune caused the engine to pop. Even further, if you put a non-Subaru short shifter in the car and you break the forks, they can say that your short shifter caused the damage.

My point? If you do something that could technically be viewed as causing a component to fail, expect to be paying out of pocket for it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I suggest reading up on the Magnuson-Moss Act. The short of it is that the dealership can deny your warranty if they can prove that your mods caused something to fail.

For example, if you put an after market stereo in your car and the alternator fries, they can cite that excessive current draw caused your alternator to fail, and you'd be paying for the alternator out of pocket. Going further, if you reprogram the ECU and blow the engine, they can deny your warranty claim saying that your overly aggressive tune caused the engine to pop. Even further, if you put a non-Subaru short shifter in the car and you break the forks, they can say that your short shifter caused the damage.

My point? If you do something that could technically be viewed as causing a component to fail, expect to be paying out of pocket for it.
talk to your dealer. let them know what you are wanting to do. the dealer i am at is very mod friendly. But remember its SOA who denies or warrants the claim. but its the tech who SOA relies on to give them the information regarding the claim it self.

gunz4me referenced the Magnuson-Moss act which many use as to say, if you mod it they can deny it. (not that you did gunz) but in the examples given by gunz, SOA cannot just simply say oh the forks are bent the short shifter did it. In adjudicating any federal or state regulation, the burden of proof always lies with those who are leveling the charges. You also, under law, carry the benefit of assumption. Which means you have to prove nothing. You can drive your car without any oil and drive it around town and take it under warranty. SOA would HAVE to prove under the Magnuson act, that is what exactly happened. And you under the "benefit of assumption"(Blacks law) can walk in and say, "Hmmm not sure what happened"

The short end of it is, if you install a short shifter, and the forks bent, SOA would have to undeniably prove( and our standards or criterion of proof are tough in this country ) that over time a short shifter can in fact damage the forks. and in that case you could go back to the company you bought the short shifter from and ultimately get them to pay for it. Our legal system gives a lot of benefit and protection to the consumer. And let me say, I dont necessarily agree with any or all of what i just wrote.

Even so, talk to the dealer and let them know your plans and consult with the techs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I have had good luck in the past with every thing else I have owned but never had any major problems eather. Just wondering if any of u have had issues getting some thing warrantyed that u had put an intake and cat back on? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Yeah I have had good luck in the past with every thing else I have owned but never had any major problems eather. Just wondering if any of u have had issues getting some thing warrantyed that u had put an intake and cat back on? Thanks for your input.
every dealer is different. your absolute best bet is to speak with the dealer you plan on taking your car to. We have all had great experiences and we have all had ****ty experiences. go talk to those guys.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
You purchased a Performance based vehicle. You will be lucky if your dealer warranties the car in 100% stock form. Some dealers are great and will warranty. Some will void your warranty if your interior smells of fart.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a t-shirt from Think Geek that reads "I void warranties" because I usually do.

I've been known to put aftermarket sound systems in ALL my vehicles and to date, only one had an alternator burn up. So... what i did was remove any traces of being able to see the power wire under the hood, drive to the dealership, and have them replace it under warranty. Dishonest? Maybe, but I didn't want to hear that a pair of Rockford Fosgate Punch 250a2 amplifiers caused the alternator to burn up on my F150 that came with a high output alternator from the factory.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah that's kinda what I figured!! And also y I had to ask... Hopefully I wouldent have to use it any way!!

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
I just want to know what the hell is this warranty thing y'all keep talking about? Im pretty sure that I haven't had one of them since about a month after I bought my car hahahahaha.
:yeahthat:

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,231 Posts
I suggest reading up on the Magnuson-Moss Act.
I disagree (though I see we agree in the end, I am "disagreeing" because it helps me point out that the M-M Act is IMO useless for consumers). The M-M Act has helped producers of imitation parts, but it has not helped car owners. After all, it was instigated at the behest of producers of imitation parts.

The short of it is that the dealership can deny your warranty if they can prove that your mods caused something to fail.
Let's talk through this. Help me with this conversation:

Me: Hi, I have modified my car. I have a warranty claim. Fix my car.
Dealer: No.
Me: But the M-M Act says you must prove my modifications have caused a failure before denying me warranty coverage.
Me: Please fill in the blank, with info on who will fix my car while I'm disputing imitation parts with the dealer.

That's the problem. The M-M stuff is great for companies that want to flood the market with imitation and unauthorized parts, but none of these companies will fix somebody's car while a warranty dispute is taking place.

Use authorized, authentic parts, or be prepared to have a car that doesn't work and a dispute with which whoever made or sold imitation parts will not actually help.

Here we are in full agreement. Well said IMO.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I disagree (though I see we agree in the end, I am "disagreeing" because it helps me point out that the M-M Act is IMO useless for consumers). The M-M Act has helped producers of imitation parts, but it has not helped car owners. After all, it was instigated at the behest of producers of imitation parts.

Me: But the M-M Act says you must prove my modifications have caused a failure before denying me warranty coverage.
Me: Please fill in the blank, with info on who will fix my car while I'm disputing imitation parts with the dealer.

That's the problem. The M-M stuff is great for companies that want to flood the market with imitation and unauthorized parts, but none of these companies will fix somebody's car while a warranty dispute is taking place.

Use authorized, authentic parts, or be prepared to have a car that doesn't work and a dispute with which whoever made or sold imitation parts will not actually help.

Here we are in full agreement. Well said IMO.
Well said ^ here

·
29,231 Posts
Well said ^ here
Thanks. I have to tell you, the moment some aftermarket company says "Look, here are our parts, and this is exactly how we will fix your car when, not if your dealer points out the unauthorized parts and denies your warranty claim" I will start taking imitation parts much more seriously. I've nothing against the firms or the law, except that they aren't helping me and never really have.

Far as I can work out, M-M has mutated into a sidestep of intellectual property protection. I can make something exactly like an authentic part in form and function and still sell it legally in the US. I can then go tell consumers that my product is protected under the law, which is true; and further, that they are protected, which is only true on paper and from my perspective. That perspective is of the unauthorized parts maker that has lobbied for M-M legislation, and has pocketed the $ while providing no true support.

If you think of it that way, M-M is somewhat amazing.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
The other thing to factor in the MMA discussion is that SoA has a lot more money/resources than the typical Subaru owner, should it come down to that. Also, while all that is going on, you're left without your vehicle.

SD_GR said:

I prefer the version where the dealer tells you to "Go pound sand"

·
29,231 Posts
Also, while all that is going on, you're left without your vehicle.
Precisely!

I prefer the version where the dealer tells you to "Go pound sand"
This is a more laconic dealer I've visited this time around...

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
I've personally had the go pound sand version

My response: is your face made of sand?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts