• Expensive foreign stuff

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.6%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I used Mobil One Super Synthetic 10w-30. The reason being that Mobil is superior (IMO) in the motor oil business. As for the weight, I live in Houston where the temps don't vary by much really. So, I'll use this weight year round.

·
Banned
968 Posts
I as well use Mobil Syn. 5W - 30.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Owner's manual and cover for oil says, "5w-30."

Mobil syn is the mac-daddy (after the proper break-in period).

Thus, Mobil syn 5w-30

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use:
*Mobil One Super Synthetic 10w-30 in the summer.
*Mobil One Super Synthetic 5w-30 in the winter.

*I've seen Subaru dealers stock the Mobil One Synthetics. (Not my decision maker. just an FYI)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
XRW URABUS said:
I use:
*Mobil One Super Synthetic 10w-30 in the summer.
*Mobil One Super Synthetic 5w-30 in the winter.

*I've seen Subaru dealers stock the Mobil One Synthetics. (Not my decision maker. just an FYI)
Thats what I use as well ^^^

I used to use Amsoil 5-30 but I got a weird clunking noise when starting the car sometimes, since using mobil 1 I have not had the problem, good enough reason for me to stick with Mobil 1 from now on.

On a side note I ordered Motul Gear 300 for my tranny. Expensive and hard to find (usually on back order), but from everything I have read, its simply the best.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,726 Posts
Bilkid said:
Thus, Mobil syn 5w-30
The manual permits API SL 10W-30 and recommends 10W-40, 10W-50, or 20W-50 for severe conditions.

Of all the above, 10W-30 is the oil with the narrowest weight range, implying it's the most likely to *stay* within range under the most adverse conditions and/or the longest drain interval, all things being equal (that is, within a single manufacturer's product range).

Mobil 1 is not available in 20W-50 in your country; API SL true synthetic 10W-40 or -50 is not readily available, 15W-50 M1 and 0W-40 M1 are not permitted in the manual (so you can't run them under warranty technically). That leaves 5W-30 and 10W-30 M1.

I'm about an hour's drive north of you and run 10W-30 M1. If your consumption is increased with the 5W stuff down there, you may want to discuss 10W with your dealer. It's kosher and has shown excellent wear analysis data in our motors and other demanding apps.

bdoug's 0W-40 is IMO a fantastic oil, but I'm chickening out of using it under warranty. The M1 15W-50 is another great oil; one might consider sneaking in a quart of that stuff to get a handle on consumption if lower-weight M1 isn't hanging around as long as one would like.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Bilkid said:

Thus, Mobil syn 5w-30
I also use Mobil one but what is the proper break in period? I know you're supposed to go through one cycle of engine oil with the stuff that comes in the car.

·
Registered
175 Posts
PolarisSnT said:
I also use Mobil one but what is the proper break in period? I know you're supposed to go through one cycle of engine oil with the stuff that comes in the car.
Using synthetic oil before you have at least 3k miles on your car is not recommended because it can inhibit the needed seating of the rings.

This from "Training WRX" by Nick Warne:
"Many owners and even some dealers are using premium grade synthetic oils, such as Mobil 1. These oils provide amazing lubrication performance, especially for a highly stressed engine like the WRX's. However, one must wait for the engine to be properly run in before they are used. The bores of the Subaru Turbo engine are very hard and take between 3-6,000 miles to fully bed in. Using synthetic oil before this mileage has been covered can ultimately reduce combustion pressures, increase oil consumption and, in extreme cases, will affect performance."

I waited until 10k just to be sure before switching to Mobil1.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
^^^ Interesting, Subaru says (unconfirmed) that it is OK to use synthetic oil after the 1,000 mile break-in.

Orig. posted by EIonJess.
I sent an email to Subarau at mysubaru.com concerning the use of synthetic oil. Here is the response below. Take for what it's worth.

Thank you for contacting the Subaru Web site, and congratulations on the purchase of your '02 Impreza WRX! We hope that you are enjoying this exciting model!

As for synthetic oil, this is your decision. Our Technical Services Department advised that if you do decide to use synthetic oil, that you always use it because your engine will become accustomed to it. The same goes if you decide to use 'regular' oil.

We recommend that you first change the oil in your WRX at 3,000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first. We STRONGLY recommend that you at least wait until the break-in period of 1,000 miles is surpassed.

The break-in period of the engine requires that a given amount of friction exists between components. The piston rings need to rub against the cylinder wall to break-in or finely tune the machine mating between the two metal parts. To properly seat all mechanical components, a certain amount of friction is required between the metal parts. Since synthetic oil has a lower friction rating than regular oil, we recommend that Subaru owners wait until after the 1,000 mile break-in period to switch to synthetic engine oil.

Synthetic engine oils can be used in our engines if the user follows the engine oil recommendations prescribed in the Owner's Manual. Subaru has not tested the compatibility of all synthetic oils with engine seals, but the petroleum industry does adhere to standards for the refining process which meet Subaru requirements. Subaru does not guarantee the performance of any brand of any engine oil.

Engine Oil Guidelines: - only use engine oil that meets or exceeds the API classification designated in the Owner's Manual for the vehicle - only use engine oil that meets the VISCOSITY requirements for the ambient temperatures under which the vehicle will be operated as outlined in the Owner's Manual - THE ENGINE OIL MUST BE CHANGED AT THE INTERVALS SPECIFIED IN THE WARRANTY AND MAINTENANCE BOOKLET FOR THE VEHICLE. SOME SYNTHETIC OIL REFINERS RECOMMEND EXTENDED OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. SUBARU DOES NOT RECOMMEND ANY DEVIATION FROM THE SPECIFIED INTERVALS IN THE OWNER'S MANUAL.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts