ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Subaru WRX STi
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I purchased my first STi last weekend. It's an 07, w/29K miles. I was looking at the intercooler and saw this cable that seems to be disconnected, but had NO idea where it goes or what it does?! I attached 2 separate pics...can any of you all help me out?

Thanks! IMG_20111030_180207.jpg IMG_20111030_180146.jpg

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Im not really sure. I can however tell you its not stock

Looks like maybe it was for a boost gauge? Where do the other 2 ends go to?

·
Registered
2007 Subaru WRX STi
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not really sure. I can however tell you its not stock

Looks like maybe it was for a boost gauge? Where do the other 2 ends go to?

Hmm...so you're saying the wires i'm holding in the pic are not stock. If so, I should be able to remove them right?!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
correct they are not stock. However they could be replacing a stock piece or hooked into your boost/vac system at some point or any number of things. Don't just disconnect them.. Find out where each of the 3 sides go to and post that up before changing anything

·
Registered
2007 Subaru WRX STi
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
correct they are not stock. However they could be replacing a stock piece or hooked into your boost/vac system at some point or any number of things. Don't just disconnect them.. Find out where each of the 3 sides go to and post that up before changing anything
Okay. I was actually planning on taking it to the Subaru dealer and getting their mechanics to do a "complete" check of under hood to see what all I need to do/purchase to put it back to stock as much as I can. I'm sure they would know what that cable is/does ?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
they may. Or they may say they won't mess with it because its aftermarket. If I knew where the other ends went there is a 90% Chance I could tell you what it is and how to handle it and a 99% chance that if i couldn't someone else on here could

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
07WRXSTiFAN said:
Okay. I was actually planning on taking it to the Subaru dealer and getting their mechanics to do a "complete" check of under hood to see what all I need to do/purchase to put it back to stock as much as I can. I'm sure they would know what that cable is/does ?
While you're there, have them do compression/leakdown tests so you can start to save for a new motor if there's an issue.

As for being able to figure out what that hose is used for, they might be able to. You might be able to figure it out yourself just by tracing them (and posting if you still don't know).

·
Registered
2007 Subaru WRX STi
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While you're there, have them do compression/leakdown tests so you can start to save for a new motor if there's an issue.

As for being able to figure out what that hose is used for, they might be able to. You might be able to figure it out yourself just by tracing them (and posting if you still don't know).
Great, I'll have them do that compression/leakdown test. Also, tomorrow I'll trace that wire and snap a pic... thanks man!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm willing to bet that's somebodies home brew intercooler sprayer... notice the compression fittings and the control valve (white) further up the line...

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I'm willing to bet that's somebodies home brew intercooler sprayer... notice the compression fittings and the control valve (white) further up the line...
Honestly that's what I thought it was when I first saw it. It looks like the one wire (that heads towards the firewall) is clipped on there and then goes up to the hood. The wire on the right looks like ti could be going to the washer reservoir. From what I can see on the bpv, it looks untouched....but who knows. I definitely think it's someone's attempt at "upgrading" the i/c sprayer.

·
Registered
2007 Subaru WRX STi
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Honestly that's what I thought it was when I first saw it. It looks like the one wire (that heads towards the firewall) is clipped on there and then goes up to the hood. The wire on the right looks like ti could be going to the washer reservoir. From what I can see on the bpv, it looks untouched....but who knows. I definitely think it's someone's attempt at "upgrading" the i/c sprayer.
So would I be able to remove it without harming anything else??

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Well without you tracing them down to where they go, no once can accurately answer that.

Trace them down, see what they connect to, take pics?, and hopefully we can help you.

·
Registered
2007 Subaru WRX STi
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
more pics

Here are three more pics. 2 from under the hood...looks like it goes with the same hose that feeds the windshield...and 1 pic from inside the car..i see "I/C Water Spray" button...

IMG_20111102_175803.jpg IMG_20111102_175907.jpg IMG_20111102_175757.jpg

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Didn't the 07 STI come standard with the sprayer? Why would somebody do this?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
IF it does come standard with the sprayer...why the hell would the hoses be disconnected?
To answer the first question, yes, all STIs I'm aware of come with that system. To answer the second, maybe the previous owner was changing it.

Sent from my CM7 Nook Color!

·
Registered
2007 Subaru WRX STi
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pic from manual I/C spray

Here is a pic from the manual...looks like the car DOES come with IC spray stock. Most likely the previous owner wanted to remove it or something...I guess I'll have to take it to the dealer so they can put it back to stock...

Screen Shot 2011-11-02 at 9.15.26 PM.jpg

·
Registered
321 Posts
Stupid Question: Have you tried hitting the I/C sprayer button and seeing what happens with the mystery lines?

·
Registered
2007 Subaru WRX STi
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stupid Question: Have you tried hitting the I/C sprayer button and seeing what happens with the mystery lines?

Actually no I haven't...I've been spending the last 2 nights removing tint from the car...gonna try pressing the I/C Spray button tomorrow or Friday to see if hose even works...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts