Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...so Dave (SaggioWRX) re-tightened all my rear sway bar bolts with the car under load yesterday, but I'm still hearing a clunk from my rear driver's side. I just went under my car today and sure enough, all the bolts are gorilla-tight.

I noticed though that when tightening (well, attempting to tighten anyway) the lower inner bolt on my driver's side endlink, I would hear the clunk! But the clunk was coming from a little higher in the chassis, as if it were above the exhaust heat shield. Sometimes when I push up on the sway bar, I can hear it too, but definitely if I push down on the trunk. It only comes from the driver's side.

Anyone have any idea what's clunking, and how to stop it?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just a shot, my sway bar hits my hks exhaust hanger when turning. Perhaps see if there are anymarks in that area on your swaybar and/or your hanger.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
protocol_droid said:
Just a shot, my sway bar hits my hks exhaust hanger when turning. Perhaps see if there are anymarks in that area on your swaybar and/or your hanger.
Good call, but I checked that...my sway bar's miles away from anything to hit, especially when you're just pressing down on the trunk.

·
Banned
968 Posts
I recently fixed my sway bar clunk by greasing the bushings on my Perrin endlinks = no clunk.

·
Registered
86 Posts
verdugo, how far is miles away. My sway bar (given my HKS exhaust hangers may be in a different location than yours) was approximately 1/2 inch away and would not hit until the car turned. Pushing down on the trunk had no effect on its distance when I tried that. No marks for sure in that area??

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
protocol_droid said:
verdugo, how far is miles away. My sway bar (given my HKS exhaust hangers may be in a different location than yours) was approximately 1/2 inch away and would not hit until the car turned. Pushing down on the trunk had no effect on its distance when I tried that. No marks for sure in that area??
There's at least an inch of clearance...I can fit my index and middle finger in the gap.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When you are under your car and push/pull on the sway bar can you reproduce the noise? Can you wiggle the endlinks at all, even if they are torqued down properly? I recently noticed a clunking that I tracked down to my passenger side enlink (I have an SPO bar and endlinks). It was torqued down properly but I could wiggle it a bit. Apparently the urethane bushings wore down a bit but the metal spacer in the middle obviously didn't, so there was a bit of play between the bushings and the mounts and swayboar on both ends. I fixed it easily with a one and a half inch metal washer with a 5/8" hole (which allowed the metal spacer to go through it). I torqued it all down and the rattle disapeared.

If that isn't your problem I would look again to make sure the bar isn't hitting anything (mine used to hit the top of my stock muffler). If not that I would look elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I push up on the swaybar, I can sometimes reproduce the sound. The sound definitely is heard when I try to tighten the screw I mentioned. Nothing wiggles though. I'll see about using the washer, thanks!

·
Registered
635 Posts
mine clunks from the mount bushing. slap some more grease on there and it goes away, for a while, then the grease gets squeezed out and the clunk comes back, so i know that's what mine is. try that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts