Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey wassup guys. Im new to the WRX forum and Im currently debating whether I should buy a new WRX or RSX. The reason why Im leaning towards the WRX is because of it's great potential for power from such simple bolt ons. Unfortunately simple bolt ons for Hondas cannot return such great results. I was curious to know what kind of simple bolt ons or inexpensive things I could do and what kind of power I should expect from them? I appreciate any help and cant wait to hear the results :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Both the WRX and the RSX are great cars. Each car have there own strenghts/weaknessess. I myself came from Honda as well, building many B16/B18C5 motors in my day. However I came to the darkside of FI (Forced Induction) and caved in purchasing a WRX. And quite honestly, best purchase I have ever made.

The Subaru WRX is a bit better capable of gaining HP easier then the RSX through bolt ons, mainly due to the reason of

A) It's friggin turbo charged, anything turbo is much easier to seep power out of! We all know more air and more fuel = more power, Turbo's are arguably the best way of cramming air into smaller displacement motors (IE 2.0L motors such as the EJ20, 4G63 etc).

B) The RSX's advantage, is also is its disadvantage...kind of a double bladed sword. It runs an incredible high compression motor, giving it amazing power at the high end, but also resulting in a very tuned motor straight from the factory. However it seems though that RSX came with a very restrictive Air box, as recent dyno results proved that a simple AEM cold air intake resulted over 15+ WHP. However, exhaust, time-cams (never a very benfecial mod though in any honda), and header give mediocre, but noticable power gains. a Typical I/H/E combo in the RSX can give you a net result of 25-35 WHP (let the flames begin)

A typical WRX (EJ20) will result in power gains like so...

MBC (manual boost controller) - 25-35 WHP (Dyno Proven)
Turbo Back Exhaust - 15 WHP
Up-pipe/Down pipe - 15 WHP and faster spool up of turbo
Air Box chop (No intake, just K&N Filter, intakes have been known to lean out the EJ20 pretty bad) - 5 whp
TMIC - Pretty pathetic, 5 WHP...maybe, more of a supportive mod of an upgraded turbo...

any other mods on top of this will be more then just "bolt on's" I guess you could bolt on new turbo, injectors/rails. But for what your concerning, this should give you a pretty rough idea. Once again I'm not always right, and anyone else out there please correct me. But hope this helps you out!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. I know the drivetrain loss for a front wheel car is ~15 percent. I was curious to know whats the loss for an AWD car?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
For our particular AWD car, it's ~23%

·
Registered
25 Posts
23%.... I wish...sadly try like 27% and almost 30% on certain models......Way to much drive train loss on these subies....

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
God said:
Best deal is my stage 0 package.

Uppipe
Downpipe
Cat back exhaust
MBC

From 227 to around 275 HP for $999.
What cat-back do you normally use? Kakimoto? Any advice on an exhaust that does not look like a "can" but more like a muffler that does not cost too much?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Many WRX's dyno at about 180. But your right because several dyno at around 160 too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
God said:
Best deal is my stage 0 package.

Uppipe
Downpipe
Cat back exhaust
MBC

From 227 to around 275 HP for $999.
Second that:D

This is a sh*tload of performance for the money, few cars can match the WRX in this regard.

I'd even say ditch the MBC and get the Cobb AccessECU stage 2 and you've got an even more reliable 300 hp for only $1350. Sweeeeeeet:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Recently I've been doing a lot of research on the WRX and it's performance stock as well as with bolt ons. I've even been reading around on Honda Tech and apparently a lot of those guys think the WRX is pretty damn slow. A lot of the turboed cars there mention quite a few stories about how they've been able to take on wrx's easily. What's up with that?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
superduperman said:
Recently I've been doing a lot of research on the WRX and it's performance stock as well as with bolt ons. I've even been reading around on Honda Tech and apparently a lot of those guys think the WRX is pretty damn slow. A lot of the turboed cars there mention quite a few stories about how they've been able to take on wrx's easily. What's up with that?
Couple reasons I can think of.

- I'm a previous Honda owner and I moderate at a Honda web board. First and foremost, Honda owners talk a lot of $hit.

- On average, a stock 5-spd WRX with a good driver runs a 14.5 sec. 1/4 mile. The WRX is a quick car, but not fast.

- Our gear ratios stink. Anything over about 90 mph (end of third gear) and we're dead in the water.

- AWD sucks up a lot of power. Our 227 crank hp ends up to be around 165 WHP (around 27% drivetrain loss). 227 crank hp in a FWD car is around 197 whp (about 13% drivetrain loss).

However, on the other end of the scale, our mod $$ per hp value is much better. Spend a $1000 on a WRX and you'll see about an extra 40-50 hp. Spend the same $1000 on a Honda (intake , header, exhaust) and you'll only gain about 10-15 hp.

·
Registered
474 Posts
AjDaMan said:
What cat-back do you normally use? Kakimoto? Any advice on an exhaust that does not look like a "can" but more like a muffler that does not cost too much?
Seriously! I just order an 04 WRX, and I'm looking into exhaust mods, but I don't want tip the size ofa coffee can hanging out the back. Cobb has a 3.5" tip. Any out there with just 3"?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
u can bolt on whatever you can find... the stock internals 'should' hold until 400 HP or so, stock WRX heads stop making power after 500 HP.

it all depends on what you want to do. A full exhaust, fuel system upgrade, turbo and intercooler upgrade and engine management and you are good to go... what all your choices are on those is up to you... But the stock tranny isnt the best, and the clutch will def go out.. i went with the exedy/sti twin plate in my car, holds up to 500+ HP and works awesome.

-mike

ps: id go with a custom garrett turbo setup and maybe PE 650 injectors, then go from there... You will always want to be faster, trust me...

·
Registered
249 Posts
MJU1983 said:
ps: id go with a custom garrett turbo setup and maybe PE 650 injectors, then go from there... You will always want to be faster, trust me...
I second that! I'm already feeling like my VF22/FMIC/UTEC setup is too slow. Maybe that's cause all my friend's cars have big frickin Garret 60 trim turbos and run mid 11's :eek:

Seriously though, I wouldn't say get a big turbo setup right off the bat. Besides the obvious cost of all of it, I think much of the fun of modifying a car is seeing how every little thing makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Schaf100 said:
I think much of the fun of modifying a car is seeing how every little thing makes a difference.
I second that!
Plus it's a good idea to add a little at a time so you can easily go back to a reasonable facsimile of stock if you need warranty service.
I plan on maxing out the stock turbo and intercooler and upgrading those once I'm past the warranty period.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts